Other Walked batter / Pinch runner.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
A walked batter has to touch first before the pinch runner can take his place. Reason? To me it’s completing the play unlike a batter not having to touch first since the ump signal for a home run and the play is dead.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
A walked batter has to touch first before the pinch runner can take his place. Reason? To me it’s completing the play unlike a batter not having to touch first since the ump signal for a home run and the play is dead.
Yes like I posted. I asked for the reason behind it and posted what I thought about it since I’m not an ump and people have been asking why it’s done as it just wastes time.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If the walked batter doesn't touch first base they've never attained it. Can't have a run score if they've never attained first base. Not having to touch on a home run is because the rules specifically call that out that as soon as the ball leaves the park the batter and all runners on base are credited with a run scored.

It shouldn't waste any time, run 70 ft to 1B then get off the field, you should be able to do that while your runner is getting out there.

dunkky

in my opinion, whether it's time consuming or not, it's stupid rule. Absolutely no need to.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Then submit a rule change to the governing body explaining why you think the rule should be change and how. Then let them decide.

dunkky

Like I said It ain't worthy enough to complain. Just pointing out the stupid rule that makes no sense.

jlee

I can see both sides of the argument here... however for the speed of the game sometimes its crucial to get the switch out. In tournaments time can be of a factor. I have literally seen people walk to 1B, then ask for time, ask for a runner, see them walk across the diamond to the dugout, while the new runner walks to 1B. Takes literally forever.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Then submit a rule change to the governing body explaining why you think the rule should be change and how. Then let them decide.

"I'm fat and slow and lazy and my beer is getting warm."
Should get a lot of traction.

I can see both sides of the argument here... however for the speed of the game sometimes its crucial to get the switch out. In tournaments time can be of a factor. I have literally seen people walk to 1B, then ask for time, ask for a runner, see them walk across the diamond to the dugout, while the new runner walks to 1B. Takes literally forever.

The guys that complain about this are probably the same guys that have a 45 second pre at-bat routine.

Any team that has a batter that walks, either intentionally or after four pitched balls should know if they are going to have a pitch runner for this batter. This runner should be on his feet and headed to first base to assume the runner's position as soon as the batter reaches first base. Simple, do what is right and in a timely fashion. As to why the batter can't simply turn and go to the dugout? Not part of the RULES of the game, take your walk, trot to first, slap 5 with your courtesy runner and then TROT back to your respective dugout. I despise all the walking and slow movement, justifies why my wife scolds me for playing "old man's softball". I despise even more those people that whine about the rules and want to change them for no justifiable reason, or worse, argue over a rule that they have no idea what or why the rule is in place for the game.

dunkky

Understand the difference between complaining vs a negative opinion of a certain rule. I don't complain, does not mean that rule is not stupid vice versa. Also, I respectably disagree. Enlighten me why that rule is necessary. For the same argument, how long does it take for a grown man to jog around a diamond?? Less than a min. Yet, it's ok not to run if you hit HR to save time. I tell you why that rule is dumb.

1. sometimes pitchers have gear on after two outs not knowing whether he will be batting or not. All that is to save some time. after all, some pitchers have a lot of stuff to put on for their protection. Sometimes, they hit with gears on. When you walk him, now, he needs to carry that **** with him. For what??? I mean no big deal but still, for what?

2. in the league, there are a lot of old men, show up to play as a pitcher and hitter. Some of them are not in good condition. He's got a knee brace on and he does not run well. but he still enjoys the game of softball and he can hit to backside like no others. OBP is like .700 better than many young kids in our league. So, what's the point of making him limping to 1st base when he can just walk back to the dugout?

3. some people get injured, but still can hit very well, so, pitcher walks him to face the next guy. what's the point of an injured man running the 1st base.

there are more, but I'll stop here. And I did not make that list out of my imagination. I have witnessed all of them multiple times with my limited playing time.

But forget about all those good reasons.
Again, what's the legitimate point of that rule, so i can understand why that rule is necessary??

Understand the difference between complaining vs a negative opinion of a certain rule. I don't complain, does not mean that rule is not stupid vice versa. Also, I respectably disagree. Enlighten me why that rule is necessary. For the same argument, how long does it take for a grown man to jog around a diamond?? Less than a min. Yet, it's ok not to run if you hit HR to save time. I tell you why that rule is dumb.

1. sometimes pitchers have gear on after two outs not knowing whether he will be batting or not. All that is to save some time. after all, some pitchers have a lot of stuff to put on for their protection. Sometimes, they hit with gears on. When you walk him, now, he needs to carry that **** with him. For what??? I mean no big deal but still, for what?

2. in the league, there are a lot of old men, show up to play as a pitcher and hitter. Some of them are not in good condition. He's got a knee brace on and he does not run well. but he still enjoys the game of softball and he can hit to backside like no others. OBP is like .700 better than many young kids in our league. So, what's the point of making him limping to 1st base when he can just walk back to the dugout?

3. some people get injured, but still can hit very well, so, pitcher walks him to face the next guy. what's the point of an injured man running the 1st base.

there are more, but I'll stop here. And I did not make that list out of my imagination. I have witnessed all of them multiple times with my limited playing time.

But forget about all those good reasons.
Again, what's the legitimate point of that rule, so i can understand why that rule is necessary??

dunkky - yeah , I can understand your thoughts and will comment on what I see from my perspective, all the while with respect intended:

1. If he had the gear on when he either singled to right field or slow rolled an easy out to the shortstop he still had to run to first base, or trot, or walk, I’m sure you agree so why not run, jog, or hopefully not just walk to first when he receives a walk, as you suggested, we all want to streamline and/or speed up these senior games that take too long to play.

2. Yeah, some guys have physical limitations but if he can hit backside like no other then he can run, trot, or limp if necessary to first base. Same thing goes for accepting a walk, run, trot, or limp if necessary and be proud of contributing to your team. The slowness in our game comes from the fact that once a batter-runner reaches first base both the first base coach and the guy just getting on first are waving their arms, asking the ump for time, waiting for someone to come and run. I think you would agree these are the unnecessary delays and slow play that we all disdain.

3. Injuries happen, injured but still able to hit very well? Then he can run, trot, or limp to first base, same with a walk.

As to these observations being very good reasons? many more reasons, too numerous to mention? Not the way I view the game.

As to the basic rule that a walked batter is required to reach first base to become a batter-runner, this keeps the integrity of the game in tact. If he wanders toward the dugout, someone else comes from somewhere? One of the base coaches? Someone out of the dugout? Player coming thru the gate that just left the water fountain or the restroom?
The umpires standing in one spot primarily for an hour and a half have enough to keep up with, I’m sure you would agree.

Not picking on anyone, but we need to play, and stay active. If walking is all a player can do then he should find a good walking trail near home, enjoy the sunshine, and nature both animal and plant life.

Some of the “local rules” that I see put in place make zero sense to me. One I have heard is no batter-runner can be thrown out at first base by an outfielder? So you penalize an outfielder that charges a base hit and has enough savvy, arm strength and accuracy to get an out for his team? We should all just gather down at the boat ramp or local joint and drink a cold beer and talk about what we used to do, or politics if you’re keen for a real fight. Please take my post as constructive remarks to keep our game a competitive and enjoyable game.

Last edited:

dunkky

First of all, kudos to you for being very active!

you play hard and you play best when the play is on. When play is dead, however, there's no point in having a rule that causes nothing but an inconvenience. It adds absolutely zero contribution to the game of softball in respect of the integrity of the games or any aspects.

But to each of their own.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
My take on this. The fact that we are gabbing about this is the exact reason why that's there. Removes any doubt or appeal because the original batter (now batter-runner) "never touched first". It's the same reason USA went to a "hit and sit" for over the fence home runs in slow pitch and specifically stated in the rule book that this removes the possibility for appeals for missed bases.

So, basically, because "adult" slow pitch players are known to be a whiney bunch and will start appealing "he never touched first!" before the batter-runner even steps away from the box when they see a substitute heading that way, they have the batter-runner touch first and then can be substituted for.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
It probably would help the "speeding up the game" argument if the same teams didn't take 20 mins to do the Garciaparra before each at bat and actually hustled in and out from the outfield between innings. Time how much time is wasted waiting for teams to get to the outfield and to do their pre-at bat rituals each at bat, then compare how much time is wasted for the occasional old guy with a bad leg to walk to first base. Are we really suggesting changing the rules for everyone so an old, hurt guy doesn't have to walk 70 feet? If you know John bats .750 but doesn't move well and are really concerned with saving time instead of being lazy, have the runner coaching first when John hits so they can immediately swap.

dunkky

yeah. all those things you mentioned are also dumb things IMO, Adds nothing to the game. All those useless extra activities when plays are dead gotta go into the garbage, period. It adds absolutely nothing. For the same argument, if you need a pinch-runner to play softball, look for golf then. At least be consistent if you wanna be logical.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
yeah. all those things you mentioned are also dumb things IMO, Adds nothing to the game. All those useless extra activities when plays are dead gotta go into the garbage, period. It adds absolutely nothing. For the same argument, if you need a pinch-runner to play softball, look for golf then. At least be consistent if you wanna be logical.

I agree. I belong to the school of thought if you cant move enough to walk to 1st or even need a runner to run 280 consecutive feet maybe you should work on your conditioning or play golf and ride in a cart the whole time.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Why do walked batters actually have to walk to first base? Because there’s a rule that says all awarded bases must be legally run. A walk is an awarded base.

Questions like this make as much sense as asking “Why does a team get three outs instead of two? Games would go a lot faster if they only got two outs!”.

They get three outs just because that’s the way the game evolved. It could be any other number. One? Four? Ten? It’s not those because way back when somebody decided that three was good and it stuck.

Same with running out awarded bases. A hundred years ago they thought it was worth putting into a rule and a hundred years later it’s still a rule. More recent rule changes might affect that, like “hit and sit” home runs. But until a rule says you don’t have to touch first on a walk, you do.

Literally, any rule in the rule book could be something different than what it already is. That doesn’t make it a bad rule or stupid. It’s just convention.