USSSA weird ruling on saturday

theoppohitter

The BRADY HOKE bunch
so my team has runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. the batter hits a fly ball to left field, not deep but deep enough for the guy to score on the tag. anyways the left fielder catchers the ball in FOUL territory but the ball is NOT out of play, well as soon as it's caught the umpire yells dead ball, the batter is out (he still had one to waist) and the runner cannot tag up:confused::confused::confused:

i don't think i'm stupid but isn't the runner aloud to tag up on foul balls too:confused:

12th Man

OG COMbatant
so my team has runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. the batter hits a fly ball to left field, not deep but deep enough for the guy to score on the tag. anyways the left fielder catchers the ball in FOUL territory but the ball is NOT out of play, well as soon as it's caught the umpire yells dead ball, the batter is out (he still had one to waist) and the runner cannot tag up:confused::confused::confused:

i don't think i'm stupid but isn't the runner aloud to tag up on foul balls too:confused:

I believe Utrip rules caught foul balls as automatic dead balls. Crazy I know.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
What was the count at the time of the foul? That's VERY important information.
In USSSA if the batter hits a second foul after one strike, then the ball is dead.

In other words, if that foul ball would have caused you to foul out, the catch is meaningless and it's a dead ball.
If that wasn't the case, it should not have been a dead ball.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
In USSSA if the batter hits a second foul after one strike, then the ball is dead.

In other words, if that foul ball would have caused you to foul out, the catch is meaningless and it's a dead ball.

That is one of the big differences in USSSA/ASA. In ASA, you have to remember to let the 3rd strike foul drop to keep runners from advancing.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
That is one of the big differences in USSSA/ASA. In ASA, you have to remember to let the 3rd strike foul drop to keep runners from advancing.

USSSA Rule. 7 sec2. The Batter is out if.. He has a second strike.

1. He hits second foul after one strike, then the ball is dead.

In USSSA this is a dead ball and runners can not advance..

mazzamouth

I believe Utrip rules caught foul balls as automatic dead balls. Crazy I know.

not all foul balls.. If it the 1st pitch to a batter and he hits it foul, the runner may advance to the next base.

for utrip its what i thought also.don't like the rule,but hey it's what utrip is.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster

this .

mazzamouth

so you are saying that we should've protested the call?

could have cause this is a rule intrep...

I played today and hit a weak grounder, really wasnt hustling, and touched 1st with my bat, 1st basemen had to come off.. I quickly dropped it after I touched 1st.. I knew I was out, but the ump called me safe.. after the inning I told him I should have been called out, he just kind of looked and really didnt say to much..LOL

Protestable because it's a misinterpretation of a rule, but I'm not sure what could possibly be the outcome because when he called the ball dead, the defense may assume that it is. How would you correct that?