Weirdest things have seen happen/called in a game 2012 edition

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Last week was first week of league night, and we will probably end up #2 #3 or #4 in a 5 team league, but the team we played was awful and I feel bad for them only 1 week into the season. Probably the worst team I've ever seen.

It's the top of the first inning, already 19-0 and we're trying to figure out how to end the inning without making it look like we're trying to end it. We've already batted around twice thanks to quite a few errors by them and we have 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Sky high ball between SS and 3B, which neither one catches. The umpire doesn't call infield fly until after the ball hits the ground and gets kicked by the 3B while trying to pick it up. Our runners both advance to the next base, and everyone is safe, right? Nope. For whatever reason the other team after hearing "Infield fly, batter is out" starts yelling, "they have to go back they have to go back!" Our runners for some bizarro reason think they have to go back now, and start heading back to 1B and 2B. Their second baseman airmails the throw to first, but our runner is called out anyway even though he's standing safely on the bag and the 1B doesn't even have possession of the ball yet.

We say OK, take the field and they go down 1-2-3. I ask the umpire how he came up with a DP on that whole cluster, and he just says, "Uh, I think we called the runner out for running out of the baseline" (which he wasn't at all). I laughed and said, "you know that's only if he's trying to be tagged." He laughed and said he was just daydreaming on the IFF call, and knew we wanted to end the inning so he just made something up. We ended up losing by 2. OK, not really. Was 36-0 after 3, game over.

PS - not a hidden brag post, it was like playing a team made up of 10 Lord7's and AverageJay's.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened last season, but it's funny none the less...
We were playing a team, and they had a couple on... It's a 1up HR league and the opposing team is 1up... The batter hits one off the top of the fence on the yellow line and bounces back in...

We start yelling, it's a homerun, and an out, the other team says it's a 4 base error... The umpire calls it a 4 base error lmao!!!

We kept giving him **** all game... I asked him who is the error on so I can mark it in the book??? Finally later on in the game the park director came in and told him he was wrong, that it was just a hit... It was funny though! He still umps there and we will rag on him about it still!

select_22

The Veteran
Best thing that has happened was past Tuesday. Adamal and winkman come walking into dugout talking about two in the pink, its only way to go while playing outfield. Mind u its a coed team so girl looks at them. After winkman says it feels weird. I replied two in the pink only way to gl, will be tight at first then loosen up some and feel great.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
Best play was runners on first and second 2 outs. Guy up hits a ground ball to the third baseman. Third Baseman waits for our guy to run into him and hug him. Guys on my team and I notice that the guy did not tag our player but rather hugged him without tagging him with the ball. Everyone is safe and bases are loaded. The third baseman said to the ump i didn't want to cause a collision. The umpires response was tag third next time

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
Girl on my coed team blasted one to right center on tuesday and RC think's he's beat so he turns his back on the ball and runs. Turns around just in time to get hit in the forehead and knocked out.

Last night guy on the other team hit a solid line drive in one door of my dugout (empty) bounces off 2 poles and out the back door of the dugout back onto the field. Landed on third base before touching the ground. Ump was like... uhhh fair ball?

tchaos7

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night guy on the other team hit a solid line drive in one door of my dugout (empty) bounces off 2 poles and out the back door of the dugout back onto the field. Landed on third base before touching the ground. Ump was like... uhhh fair ball?

I call bull****

OG_\FlyingPigs

Purrrrrr
I hit into a 4 base error with 2 guys on. Guy was right on the fence if the ball went it woulda been a DBO, He say it was going to stay in and at the very last moment moved his glove upwards from chest height to over his head, he "palmed" the ball bounced right out his glove and over the fence.

Happened this past Saturday, first time i have ever seen it happen.

KannonsDad

**** you
I hit into a 4 base error with 2 guys on. Guy was right on the fence if the ball went it woulda been a DBO, He say it was going to stay in and at the very last moment moved his glove upwards from chest height to over his head, he "palmed" the ball bounced right out his glove and over the fence.

Happened this past Saturday, first time i have ever seen it happen.

I watched Sanders do this last summer in league.