ASA What defines a coach?

forcedad

ASA defines (2010 rule book) a COACH as "A person who occupies the coach's box and/or assists win the direction of their team representatives on the field.

ASA also says (in more words) that coaches must stay in the dugout. So does that mean that anyone in the stands that directs the team (like a loud dad of a 12 year old player) must go to the dugout? I think not.

Also what if someone who helps the team in practice and before the game sits outside the dugout to keep the book and this person does not provide "direction of their team representatives on the field" - is it okay for them to be outside the dugout. I think yes.

But what if the blue knows the team and knows the scorekeeper is part of the coaching staff? does the blue have an obligation to send the scorekeeper to the dugout?

This issue came in play with an ump that was having a bad day and a dugout that was practically in a different zip code from home plate...

Perhaps the words used to define a coach could be modified...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Common sense applies here. If they're in the dugout and acting in the capacity of a coach, then they're a coach. As such, I will hold them to the same ASA rules as I would any other coach. They're required to be neatly attired or wear the same uniform as their team, and they're required to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike fashion. However, I don't ask them to show me their Coach's Decoder Ring.

If a team wants someone in the stands to be their scorekeeper, then that's fine. That's perfectly normal and part of the game, and happens all the time in girls' fast pitch.

However, if this "scorekeeper" wants to address me, I'm sorry, but I will only speak with the coach that's in the dugout and is properly attired.

Now, if we're talking rec league in my area, I'm not going to get in a twist about a guy sitting in the dugout, wearing jeans, and going out to coach bases. They're supposed to be in the "proper uniform," but our local associations do not want this to be enforced (can't imagine why they would).

All that being said, the "coach" is often whoever is written down on the forms as "the coach." ;)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So a coach can't be someone who plays on the team?

If the coach is on the roster, sure.

To me, the bottom line is that I want only ONE person asking me questions about my calls, I want only ONE person in each coach's box from the offensive team, and I don't want a dugout full of people who shouldn't be there. Beyond that, I couldn't care less who the team calls a "coach."