What ever happened to Spalding?

pidgeon

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. What happened to the Spalding brand? When I was a kid, Spalding gloves were as ubiquitous as Rawlings or Wilson. Now that I'm back in the sport, the brand seems to have pulled out of baseball entirely, and a shell of its former self. Anyone know the history?

NYC

Swag on 100.
They fell off, I think their last hurrah was with the Robinson Cano model. Then he switched to Wilson.
cano-glove-sunglasses.png

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Yup, Cano and Wil Myers were the last two pros that I remember. They were nice middle of the road gloves.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Has to be thee most poorly promoted baseball company in recent times. Should be a top brand featured on sites and catalogs. I couldn't name an ad campaign theme from any modern era. Sad because many of us bought a glove or mitt from the bay deals and liked them. My favorite discovery was their All Weather Baseball. They are completely sealed with a synthetic cover and hit very close if not exactly like high end wool wrapped, cushioned cork center baseballs. Blow out priced around $23 dozen, they are the perfect practice baseball - even if you don't have a pond beyond the center field fence.

MaverickAH

Spalding is still around. They've just gotten predominately out of the baseball business. They still own Dudley so they're still involved in the softball business with balls & bats. No gloves though. Their business is now completely centered around basketball.