What is screen printing?

Schiffy

I've talked to a few guys here from SBF on quotes for some screenprint jerseys. but i got to thinking... I know what sublimation is, and i know what heat transfer vinyl is, but what exactly is screen printing? i've got full sub dyes for my tourney team, but looking to get some screen printed dri fits for my league team.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
Screen printing is an alternate, less expensive way of decorating garments. Screen printing usually uses a woven mesh "screen" and forces ink through an ink block stencil. In cases when using screen printing you will feel the design on the substrate. The ink will fade, will wash out, and will cause the garment to be heavier than sublimation. Typically, screen printing price increases based on how many colors you use. In a nut shell, ink is laid down on a garment and then dried. It is very expensive and difficult to do customization, like last names, with screen printing. Screen printing can be done on cotton or poly, but be careful when using poly that your screen printer uses inks designed for poly and/or moisture control garments.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Screen printing is an alternate, less expensive way of decorating garments. Screen printing usually uses a woven mesh "screen" and forces ink through an ink block stencil. In cases when using screen printing you will feel the design on the substrate. The ink will fade, will wash out, and will cause the garment to be heavier than sublimation. Typically, screen printing price increases based on how many colors you use. In a nut shell, ink is laid down on a garment and then dried. It is very expensive and difficult to do customization, like last names, with screen printing. Screen printing can be done on cotton or poly, but be careful when using poly that your screen printer uses inks designed for poly and/or moisture control garments.

show off :) .... right on, Ed.

Dove#12

Addicted to Softballfans
Screen Printing will not wash out or fade if done correctly. My family has been in the screen printing business for 20+ years. It takes alot of know how and expensive equipment to do the job right. Not every Tom **** and Harry with a $1000 dollars that think they can do it can do it correctly. These people are the ones that give screen printing a bad reputation.

fivestarsoul

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with Dove#12. Screenprinting is a viable and quality option if done correctly. Alot of people on the boards try to steer people away from screen printing because they don't have the equipment are expertise on doing art separations and setting up artwork for screenprinting. On this forum the perceived value of screen printing is devalued because of the mass flooding of sublimation. All in all if screen printing is done correctly and the ink is fully cured(dried) you should not have any problems with fading or cracking.

Schiffy

I agree with Dove#12. Screenprinting is a viable and quality option if done correctly. Alot of people on the boards try to steer people away from screen printing because they don't have the equipment are expertise on doing art separations and setting up artwork for screenprinting. On this forum the perceived value of screen printing is devalued because of the mass flooding of sublimation. All in all if screen printing is done correctly and the ink is fully cured(dried) you should not have any problems with fading or cracking.

The church team i played for last spring and fall had screenprinting. never had any problems with them at all. it was just a basic 2 color... I met with a guy who runs one of the big teams in my area, he's been doing the coaching thing for a long time, so myself and my assistant coach met with him so he could help steer us in the right direction. it was his idea to do screen printing for league, no point in dropping lots of money on full subs for league. my tourney team has full subs, and we'll be looking for a new uniform in the spring depending on money...

chuck gossow

Pacific Headwear Dealer
screenprinting has been around a long time. if done correctly, the shirt will fade before the ink ever does. i have some of the first shirts i ever printed. my son still wears it and the print is as good as new. the shirt is kinda ragged. thats been 14 years now...schiffy, let me get thru this buy in and i will get with you on prices.
thanks.
chuck

pnpxtreme

Lights Out Sports
if your logo is simple and its only one or two color.. screen printing would be fine. More than 2 colors, I would recommend doing sub dye.

aauusa

Addicted to Softballfans
the one thing that i have not seen mentioned on here yet is that partial sub dye can only be done on light colored shirts (white/ash and a few other). with screen printed shirts the color of the shirts does not matter. also sub dye is great for 100% polyester, but with that yes you can use a 50/50 blend shirt but it will have a faded look since the dye from the transfer will not adhere to the cotton in the shirts. also with a sub dye print you may end up with having a heat line show from the press that is used to apply the image. some shirts fare better than others but this line depends on pressure the press is applying as well as the heat.

Schiffy

When i was doing my sub shirts, I have a special ink and xfer paper to adhere to cotton. didn't have to do 100% poly that way. came out looking good and didn't fade.
as for this, screenprinting is an option, i'm open to semi sub, T-shirts, ect... i'm just curious as to screenprinting for my specific application and if it's worth the money, or if i should go with a semi sub which from what i'm being quoted, would be similiar in price if not a few dollars cheaper(white or ash color doesn't affect it, as thats irrelevant honestly. i'm fine with a white shirt with colored logo)

Dove#12

Addicted to Softballfans
Like I said we own a large screen printing company, but all my ball shirts are sublimated, unless we need emergency shirts that I will print up real quick. Sublimination is the way to go with jerseys because there is no limit to the colors for no extra charge. Screen printing charges per color. We mainly do corperate america suff with large quanities. There is no real good money with screen printing jerseys.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
if your logo is simple and its only one or two color.. screen printing would be fine. More than 2 colors, I would recommend doing sub dye.
depending on the number of pallets that are available (we have 6), your ability to station off the colors correctly/precisely, and time available to do however many in a run will dictate the quality of the screening.
Like I said we own a large screen printing company, but all my ball shirts are sublimated, unless we need emergency shirts that I will print up real quick. Sublimination is the way to go with jerseys because there is no limit to the colors for no extra charge. Screen printing charges per color. We mainly do corperate america suff with large quanities. There is no real good money with screen printing jerseys.
there is if you make it your core competency and people like your work, generating repeat customers.

Dove#12

Addicted to Softballfans
Too much artwork and setup time for 10-15 shirts. I'd rather set up once for 100's to 1000's of shirts less money per shirt but more volume. All depends on your market.