What is the deal with the Monsta Bats?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
What is the deal with the Monsta Bats? Just got a notice from our commissioner that all Monsta Bats are banned from the league. I don't own one but just curious.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
not banned by ASA, your commissioner is doing what he wants.
They are good bats, obviously.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Maybe Carl kicked his dog? Not sure though unless he thinks they're too hot or something. TBH, he can do what he wants

Country469

if its an official sanctioned league he really needs to allow all sanctioned bats, as much as I despise monsta and that doucher, he is legally entitled for is product to be used in sanctioned play after its been approved and he's paid the fees.

Joker

the USA softball code is on the website. there is no such thing a championship play for leagues, only tournaments.

Article 320 Levels of Non-Championship Play.
A. Levels of Non-Championship Play. USA Softball recognizes the following levels of non-championship play:
01. Local league ( city or county )
02. Invitational
B. Non-Championship Local League. USA Softball, as national governing body for softball in the United States understands that local city or county leagues may adopt and use USA Softball’s official playing rules. The use of any or all of USA Softball’s playing rules is strictly a local matter and the rules may be altered as league officials deem necessary to conduct their own league play. USA Softball expressly disclaims any and all liability associated with the use of its official playing rules or any modification of its official playing rules. One of the primary purposes of USA Softball’s official playing rules, including its equipment standards, is to promote competitive balance and to preserve the integrity of the sport of amateur softball. USA Softball’s official playing rules, or any modification thereof, should not be considered a guarantee that participants, spectators or others will be safe or free from injury or harm. As stated in the preamble to the USA Softball Code, there are many risks and dangers incidental to the game of softball and USA Softball disclaims any and all liability associated with the game of softball or the use of its rules or Code. USA Softball does not review, sanction or approve of any modifications to its official playing rules. To the extent USA Softball’s official playing rules are modified by local leagues; such modification may increase the potential or likelihood of injury, death or property loss, including the dangers associated with increased batted ball speeds. USA Softball shall not be responsible for any injury ( including death ) or property loss to any person in connection with any modification of USA Softball’s official playing rules or the use of USA Softball’s rules or any modified rules at any game or event.

Country469

USA Softball does not review, sanction or approve of any modifications to its official playing rules - so in essence its not a sanctioned league, and thus doesn't apply to karl. Nice to see him screwed legally at least.

MarlSrSoftball

I know they are USA approved and league can do what they want but just wondering what would caused them to do it. I have asked him but haven't received an answer yet.

Country469

Someone complained about them being too good probably, or the LD got wind of Karl's shenannyigans. I don't think its fair to exclude any manuf who is approved for play, but at least its someone who aint the good guy this time.

Country469

yeah man, but they'll let the same worth in play. Makes no sense, but if the rules are the same for everyone, play ball

MarlSrSoftball

Finally got the reason:
After considerable discussion with managers, players and our ASA umpire liaison, we have decided that bats manufactured by Monsta Athetics are NOT ALLOWED in EMASS games. Although several of the bats made by this manufacturer do have the ASA stamp of approval, it appears that the specific construction of these bats still allows balls to have exit velocities in excess of the amount actually allowed by ASA. Therefore, in the interest of player safety, we have decided to ban these bats from league play. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Fred, while Im No fan of the antics of that bat company what you have done here is Wrong. You are saying ASA testing is incorrect when you dont have scientific data to prove that. Bad idea.

skew12

I'd like to see that data. And with the new mikens/worths included. Their new stuff is better than the torch/bomb to me.

MarlSrSoftball

Fred, while Im No fan of the antics of that bat company what you have done here is Wrong. You are saying ASA testing is incorrect when you dont have scientific data to prove that. Bad idea.
I agree. I don't know who made the decision but most of not all of the Board members don't have a clue about bats or balls. The previous boards used to come to me for advise on bats and balls but us old timers are now out of the loop and they wish we would just go away.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I didn't think so. Any bat after a certain number of hits is going to eventually exceed the allowable exit velocities. They should either start testing or ban all composite bats if they're going to use that as an excuse. I'm no Monsta nuthugger, don't swing one, never will, but the logic seems flawed to me.

CrashDavus

That is interesting and I'd like to see how it turns out. I've only seen one umpire check bats against the ASA banned list once in 5 years of playing. Someone must have raised a concern for the league to go that route.

cgood13

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm sure someone watched the review on youtube that showed the average speed of the new torch was at 99mph after one hundred swings and complained I don't care what numbers say I'll stick to miken and worth.

pirates33

Addicted to Softballfans
Finally got the reason:
After considerable discussion with managers, players and our ASA umpire liaison, we have decided that bats manufactured by Monsta Athetics are NOT ALLOWED in EMASS games. Although several of the bats made by this manufacturer do have the ASA stamp of approval, it appears that the specific construction of these bats still allows balls to have exit velocities in excess of the amount actually allowed by ASA. Therefore, in the interest of player safety, we have decided to ban these bats from league play. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

Wonder how they figured out that they "appear" to fail ASAs testing standard.