Any What is the proper call?

NSideSnoMexican

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner at second base, nobody out. Batter hits a ball down the third base line that hits third base and bounces over the fence out of play... What was called was a ground-rule double, but the runner from 2nd only advanced to third... What do you think?

Jbird11

I think the guy on 2nd should get home... everyone gets 2 bases... you don't have to be forced on a ground rule double...

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I believe because the ball never left the infield the correct call is 1 base. If the ball sailed from the outfield that is 2 bases. Even though no one in this case "threw" the ball out of play, the ball never left the infield in fair play so 1 base should be awarded. That's how we do it here for our ASA leauges anyway.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe because the ball never left the infield the correct call is 1 base. If the ball sailed from the outfield that is 2 bases. Even though no one in this case "threw" the ball out of play, the ball never left the infield in fair play so 1 base should be awarded. That's how we do it here for our ASA leauges anyway.

Then you are not playing ASA rules.

Any fair batted ball (defined as a ball which has touched the ground) which leaves the field of play is a two base award to all runners and batter-runner from the time of the pitch.

It's a ground rule double. All runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch. The ball left the field of play after being fair.