What is your game's Kryptonite?

JMASTERJ

Super high fly balls at night, havoc on my eyesight when daytime I can catch with eyes half closed...

And still swinging way too early on pitches, usually fouling the first one off the end of the bat, and then having to tone down on the strike 2 swing... have to learn to wait, and wait, and wait another 2 days before I start my swing. When I think about just hitting hard up the middle, I usually laser it pretty good.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Is it superstition, weather, equipment, location or someone on the other team? For me it is a strong breeze blowing in my face when I am at bat. It makes me over think changing/altering my swing to try cut the ball for a hard low liner. I know I should just swing normal, I know I am over thinking, yet do it every time. At least I have learned to let that games AB's go as throw-aways so it doesn't effect me overall by trying to go out and take BP and fix what I know is not broken.

So, what is yours?

Same as you for hitting. Strong wind in my face F's with my head every time.

In the field, a nasty infield makes me tend to sit on, and play ground balls off my heels instead charging them like I normally do.

Jomatty

Starting Player
father time... it sux when we cant do things like we used too
Yup...and it’s easy for me to get frustrated because of it. Basically have an existential crisis in my head in the middle of a rec softball game. Contemplating my mortality and **** like that because I can’t get a backhand in the 5-6 hole. It’s kinda funny now that I think about it...

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Hitting in a box where the plate is higher than my ankles

I'd take anything below mid-shin on our fields. I actually moved over a foot up in the box last year just so I was standing on a high spot.

Strong wind in my face F's with my head every time.

I always seem to hit better in a headwind. I convince myself I can't hit with any power, tone my swing down a bit and end up hitting consistent knuckling liners.

Now, wind blowing out is another story. I overswing and the ball goes nowhere when it should be going 40' farther than normal.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Now, wind blowing out is another story. I overswing and the ball goes nowhere when it should be going 40' farther than normal.

Yeah if it's a strong wind blowing out I will on occasion, try to do more than I'm capable of haha

huzzdog

retired
I hit much better with beer!!
one night in a league game i was so drunk i swung and missed and almost fell over.. the female ump suggested i may need a sub. i told her it was the best call she made all night.. i staggered back to the bench and took a nap. i had played a golf tourney that day and then the boys hooked me up with some damn medical weed right before the game. not good

Redsfan

I've seen many good players not play worth a s**t after a few beers. On the other hand though, we had a SS about 20 years ago that couldn't play a game without a few in his system. More he drank the better he got. He would even get up early at tourneys to start drinking for the 8 or 9 am games. He was the definitely the exception.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I've seen many good players not play worth a s**t after a few beers. On the other hand though, we had a SS about 20 years ago that couldn't play a game without a few in his system. More he drank the better he got. He would even get up early at tourneys to start drinking for the 8 or 9 am games. He was the definitely the exception.

^^^ WTF

BruceinGa

always online
More he drank the better he got. He would even get up early at tourneys to start drinking for the 8 or 9 am games. He was the definitely the exception.
I consider myself to be an exception. Last season I have consistently hit very well after "indulging", so much that my coach told me I must have 2 beers before each game! lol!!
Now I do know of a guy here that is 50 or 51 and really mashes, I'm talking over the lights shots. He likes to drink but he tends to pop up to the infield when he does. His teammates give him a real hard time about that. :p

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
The more I drank, the better I hit. After about 10 I was on fire, my glove work faded but since I wasn’t playing 3rd it didn’t matter
Over the years some players followed my program and soon after the coach would restrict drinking till after the games except for me. This happened on more than a couple teams with different coaches
I always felt bad so I invented ways to hide my drinking, one team thought I had a addiction to Pringle’s until they realized I had a bottle of beer in it. I also purchased some plastic wraps for cans that had similar logos as Pepsi and Coca-Cola
SMOKE

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
Bad batters box. If the box has holes in it, I am forced to either move up, back, or over, and change my stride, which affects my hitting.