What size are you using for IF?

r8dr_rider

I’ve been playing some IF, recently and my 14” Rawlings is way too big. I’ve looked at 12” but they feel too small. Anyone used 12.5 or 12 3/4 in IF without transfer issues?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Tons of people use this size without issue. Tons us e smaller though too. In the end though, it's gonna come down to what's comfortable for you.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I use a 12.75" with no issues. I steer away from bigger gloves because they feel floppy and uncomfortable but 12" is too small for softball unless you're very sure-handed and play on immaculate fields.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
I've been using a 12" PRO1000, but it plays a lot bigger than any of my other 12" gloves. I also have a 12.5" A2000 1799 that I've used at every position at one time or another. I guess it just depends on my mood and how many gloves I feel like dragging to the field. I play baseball mostly, so I only have those two gloves I've designated as softball gloves plus a DCT for playing first.

I used to do it with an 11.75 ( I know right?), I was reluctant to go anything bigger than 12 because I had the same transfer concerns. A couple of seasons ago I was finally convinced and went up to 12.5 and now I wish I would've done it sooner!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I used to do it with an 11.75 ( I know right?), I was reluctant to go anything bigger than 12 because I had the same transfer concerns. A couple of seasons ago I was finally convinced and went up to 12.5 and now I wish I would've done it sooner!

I used to have the same concern regarding transfers at 2b and I also toyed with 11.75" and 12" gloves. Then I realized that I was missing maybe 10 balls for every DP turn I made that I wouldn't have with a bigger glove.

Anybody who claims you should use a tiny glove because baseball infielders do needs to actually hold a baseball in a glove. An 11.5" glove swallows a baseball about as much as a 13" glove swallows a softball.

r8dr_rider

Picked up a 12.75 Rawlings Premier series. Feels semi game ready. I’ll break it in and game it in league in a week. If not ready I still have back ups

r8dr_rider

Ok, so I ended up gaming the Rawlings Premier during league tonight Felt really good during warm up. Played catcher and 3b. And guess what? Not one ball hit my way and only caught like 2 balls at catcher. Other team swung at everything and kicked our ass. I was pissed cuz our starting 3b had many grounders and liners go past him, so I swapped us. And after that they never hit my way. At least the glove smells nice

tbarb

Most in my leagues seem to use a 12.5 (no 12"ers and a few 13") that 12.5" size seems to evoke softball and the pockets accommodate well. I use two gloves: a 12.75 3039 and a 12.5 SPX125 in that order. There probably will always be a play you wish your glove was a bit bigger/longer or smaller, but I found these sizes were a good compromise and work well in the air and on the ground.

MaverickAH

When I played both IF/OF, I used 12.5. Once I started playing IF predominately, I went smaller especially for modified & fastpitch. The smallest was 11.85". Once I started playing slowpitch again, I went back up to 12.5". I actually still feel more comfortable playing with sub 12.5" gloves. I prefer wide, bowl-shaped patterns.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
For fastpitch infield, 12" gloves (Pro206 & Pro1000) have been the sweet spot for us, although some girls do use smaller. And still some girls who don't know any better are still using their dad's 13" glove at 2B :rolleyes:. Just kidding, we're way past that point now.

With girls now running a 2.6 second time home to first, this game is SO much faster than men's SP softball, there's absolutely no time to be fooling around trying to get a ball out of your glove!

For several years while playing SS on an open league team, our 3B used a 15" glove, it was massive, he wouldn't think of using a smaller glove!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
r8dr rider, hopefully one day soon, Chad will do a SMU on a 12" NP6 and then you'll be able to try one of those, hopefully.....soon....! :D

Tactical

I don't play infield but most of the guys on my team wear 12.5 - 13. One guy started with his 12" baseball glove and struggled a bit. Went to a 12.75 and broke it in for softball. It actually made a pretty significant difference for him.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I went from high school baseball to softball using my 11.5 HOH. After that I used my PP 11.75 up until I turned 35 that was 4 years ago. Now I use a 13.5 Super Z. As I've slowed down some, the bigger glove let's me keep up.

ShortYellowBus

Depends on the pattern and the depth of the pocket.

Shallow pockets play long and deep pockets are “smaller”. Everyone know they measure the glove leather before they assemble it.

Middle infield for me, NP7 12.25”. I’ll try the 12.5” 504 next.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Bro, real talk does that 1/4" really do anything?

As SYB just said, it depends on the pattern in question, take Anna's 12" Pro206 and her 12" DM Pro1000, those two gloves are identical in their dimensions and pocket depth! Now compare those two gloves side by side to my 12.25" KB17 = (Pro207), even though all three gloves are "Pro200" patterns, that KB17 that's 0.25 larger will swallow those other two gloves.......not really but there's a very noticeable difference in length, width, and pocket depth. The 1/4" difference is not just in the length.

mpk

Extra Hitter
As SYB just said, it depends on the pattern in question, take Anna's 12" Pro206 and her 12" DM Pro1000, those two gloves are identical in their dimensions and pocket depth! Now compare those two gloves side by side to my 12.25" KB17 = (Pro207), even though all three gloves are "Pro200" patterns, that KB17 that's 0.25 larger will swallow those other two gloves.......not really but there's a very noticeable difference in length, width, and pocket depth. The 1/4" difference is not just in the length.

I can 2nd this having had the same gloves. The KB17 is bigger than the extra 1/4" would leave you to believe. That extra 1/4" DOES make a difference in how it plays. I haven't heard this officially but I'm guessing that the dies that cut them are expanded in more dimensions than just finger length. Based on how the 12" pro1000 and 12.25" KB17 feel side by side, I think that all the leather pieces are probably some percentage larger in all dimensions. Any of the glove gurus have thoughts on that?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I think that all the leather pieces are probably some percentage larger in all dimensions. Any of the glove gurus have thoughts on that?

Worded better than my post, this is what I was getting at, it’s not just the added length alone.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The length measurement is taken on the palm from heel to tip of index finger when it's fresh out of the cutting die. Any small variance here is practically unnoticeable. But add a little bit of leather on every stamped piece of leather and it adds up. And some leather stretches out more with use.

Imagine making your car 2" longer, you'd never be able to tell. Now add 2" to the wheelbase, height, rims, ground clearance, etc.

Btw, never take the stamped size on a glove as gospel. I have a 12.75" Gloveworks and a 12.25" Easton small batch that are practically identical in every dimension. The Gloveworks has 2 seasons of heavy use whereas the Easton is brand new, so by rights the GW should be stretched out even bigger.