What's the deal with Miken end caps coming out?

gstam42

Bought a new Freak Patriot ASA (FPATMA) from SiS in December 2019, unused until April 2021 b/c of Covid (so warranty expired December 2020 with bat untouched). Do some tee work in warm weather in April, end cap starts coming off. Miken offers a courtesy repair, I send it in and they re-glue the end cap (lost a beautiful Lizard Skin grip in the process ...).

Take 20 ABs two weeks ago and then do some light tee work last night. (Don't let the scratches from dirt mislead - this bat isn't even broken in yet.) End cap nearly comes off all the way. Miken won't repair/replace because out of warranty - despite their repair work from April 2021 being faulty or else the bat having a manufacturing defect.

Love the bat, but reading Miken end caps are a recurring problem for people. Unless I can glue it properly myself, $300 down the drain.

Bought a new Freak Patriot ASA (FPATMA) from SiS in December 2019, unused until April 2021 b/c of Covid (so warranty expired December 2020 with bat untouched). Do some tee work in warm weather in April, end cap starts coming off. Miken offers a courtesy repair, I send it in and they re-glue the end cap (lost a beautiful Lizard Skin grip in the process ...).

Take 20 ABs two weeks ago and then do some light tee work last night. (Don't let the scratches from dirt mislead - this bat isn't even broken in yet.) End cap nearly comes off all the way. Miken won't repair/replace because out of warranty - despite their repair work from April 2021 being faulty or else the bat having a manufacturing defect.

Love the bat, but reading Miken end caps are a recurring problem for people. Unless I can glue it properly myself, $300 down the drain.

in theory you or I cannot make the needed repair. But a small two tube epoxy mix, properly mixed and applied to inside of bat with very light film of epoxy on end cap will cure your problem. Use acetone or mineral spirits to remove any epoxy that may have squeezed out when seating the repair. If ever questioned about the repair, you have on record that Miken made this repair for you (April 2021). Epoxy is your friend.

gstam42

in theory you or I cannot make the needed repair. But a small two tube epoxy mix, properly mixed and applied to inside of bat with very light film of epoxy on end cap will cure your problem. Use acetone or mineral spirits to remove any epoxy that may have squeezed out when seating the repair. If ever questioned about the repair, you have on record that Miken made this repair for you (April 2021). Epoxy is your friend.

thanks - a buddy here in the UK (military) recommended gorilla epoxy - i'll try that!

ShortYellowBus

It’s so simple.

Stop smashing the end cap. Hit the middle of the barrel instead, preferably the sweet spot between the KEN in Miken.

This is not manufacturer error. If you’re interested in having a long lasting bat, don’t let drunk rec guys use your bat.

gstam42

It’s so simple.

Stop smashing the end cap. Hit the middle of the barrel instead, preferably the sweet spot between the KEN in Miken.

This is not manufacturer error. If you’re interested in having a long lasting bat, don’t let drunk rec guys use your bat.

lol. no one but me has used the bat. and i'm not really into hitting off the end of the bat, thanks. it's not a problem i've had with any bat before. so yeah, it is indeed a manufacturer problem of some kind.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I’ve used 3m marine 5200 in the past for my bp bats and it works great, it’s polyurethane and flexible, doesn't crack, never had an issue, put it in and use a ratchet strap to lock it place for 24 hours and wipe the excess off, gorilla type stuff gets hard and in theory hold the cap in place, but when The walls of the barrel flex, it will crack and come away, I use the 2 part stuff for rebar as I’m a concrete guy, but for a bat I want something flexible and durable

Last edited:
I’ve used 3m marine 5200 in the past for my bp bats and it works great, it’s polyurethane and flexible, doesn't crack, never had an issue, put it in and use a ratchet strap to lock it place for 24 hours and wipe the excess off, gorilla type stuff gets hard and in theory hold the cap in place, but when The walls of the barrel flex, it will crack and come away, I use the 2 part stuff for rebar as I’m a concrete guy, but for a bat I want something flexible and durable

Loctite or JB Weld two-part epoxy (or other 2 part epoxy with same chemical reaction when mixed) will provide the best adhesive bond that you can use. The comment that the walls of the barrel will flex is correct (in the hitting zone or sweet spot of the barrel) but not at the end of the bat where the cap is secured. A trampoline effect has to be secure at either end to allow the rebound of the barrel, similar to how an archery bow is fixed at ends and maximum movement in between as well an actual trampoline, fixed at perimeters with maximum rebound in the middle.

gstam42

ah, thanks guys - will look for one of those specifically.

i don't know what miken/worth (rawlings) did when they had the bat in april. the end cap coming loose again was almost instantaneous - and i'm talking literally 18 ABs and some tee work. i pushed it back in to use today at a tourney and it comes 3-5mm out on every single contact off the enormous and beautiful sweet spot. (so only gave it about 4-5 ABs before i switched to trusty flipper out of fear of ruining the freak. but the flipper midload just doesn't feel right anymore after the freak's ounce EL.)

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I have seen the whole inner barrel and endcap come out of these bats. Its a design flaw where they attach all that mass to the end of the bat. Mine has 5200 marine in it now and its been good.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering if this was an asa version problem because of the inner workings asa bats now have.

gstam42

appreciate it, all. ordered some 3m 5200, should have it tomorrow. with some luck maybe i can re-glue in time to use at a tourney this weekend.

am i wrong to think it might be fine to go hit off the tee again until it starts coming off (won't take many swings), then pull it out by hand, clean it up, apply the adhesive (not sure whether to inside barrel or else to cap itself - will do some reading), and then push it back in? i ain't gonna manage taking off the grip and knob and then pushing the end cap out, etc., like rawlings did when they "repaired" it.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Yes hit it so it comes out, clean, glue and reinstall. But look at the possible attachment points at the end of the bat and the cap to see where the adhesive will have the most bite. Make sure to clean up all the 5200 that gets pressed out right away. TW you might be right as the extra mass of that inner barrel attached to the cap is putting too much of a load on the end cap/barrel connections.

ShortYellowBus

A direct smash to the end cap creates the separation in the end cap, as well as unnatural flex in the composite.

It’s a great evaluation tool when making decisions of personnel and batting orders. I always check the bats after BP and during games. A good player will hit the the sweet spot and the middle of the barrel every time.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Use a little fine sandpaper or a dremmel to sand away the existing glue and clean it/rough it up so it has good bite and fits snug, I’ve always done the glue on the inside on older bats that don’t have the inner sleeve, but based on this pic I found on e b a y you could do both

Attachments

• C7F194DD-7292-4A60-88DF-EBDF9DDBCACE.jpeg
    C7F194DD-7292-4A60-88DF-EBDF9DDBCACE.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

gstam42

Thanks, all. Carefully removed glue from barrel and end cap, then applied small amounts of 3M 5200 to the contact points on the end cap (**** was expensive to buy here in the UK - cost around $30!). A tiny amount of glue squeezed out when I pressed the end cap down, but wiped it away. Let it sit for the last 10 days - will use at a two-day tourney this weekend. Fingers crossed, love this bat.

jhitman

I was hitting my Krecher ASA bat the other day and the endcap flew off about 100'. Fortunately no one was there at the time. If it had been in a game someone could have seriously got hurt. I sent it back as this has never happened before to me. They said they would replace the endcap and I should have it back today. I'm reluctant now to swing it in a game as I might seriously injure someone if it happens again.

jhitman

It’s so simple.

When mine flew off I hit the ball right on the sweetspot of the bat because the ball went about 300'. Is Miken/Worth getting sloppy with their manufacturing of these newer bats? I've never had these issues in the past and have been hitting these bats since 2003/2004.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
When mine flew off I hit the ball right on the sweetspot of the bat because the ball went about 300'. Is Miken/Worth getting sloppy with their manufacturing of these newer bats? I've never had these issues in the past and have been hitting these bats since 2003/2004.
Well along with having to be (hot outa wrap) they did just do a mass merger with easton/rawlings so there's some food for thought :D

jhitman

Well along with having to be (hot outa wrap) they did just do a mass merger with easton/rawlings so there's some food for thought :D

I just received it back and it looks great. They even put a new grip on it. I hope it doesn't happen again as I was fortunate there was no one around when it flew off the 1st time. It flew off with such force that it may severely injured someone or worse.