When wind affects game

dan

Manager
I remember a rule (somewhere?) that said if the wind is blowing so hard that neither pitcher can throw strikes, the umpire can opt to ignore balls and not issue walks.

Am I dreaming, or is that a real rule?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It may be a league rule, but it is not in any sanction rule book I'm aware of. Sounds like something my kids' little league would do.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I'm only wondering what kind of wind are we talking about. 40+mph ? I can see narrowing the strike zone a bit, but to ignore balls and walks is pretty bush league.

dan

Manager
I'm only wondering what kind of wind are we talking about. 40+mph ? I can see narrowing the strike zone a bit, but to ignore balls and walks is pretty bush league.
It was strong enough to blow the ball from a perfect strike halfway to the plate, to hitting the batter when it got there. And erratic - it could just as well blow the ball 3 feet to either side of the plate. I've seen winds like this here in Illinois in March, but not in late June. We had to wait for a lull so we weren't blown off the pitcher's plate.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
No written rule in any sanction. However the umpire could suspend play due to weather conditions if the wind was that awful.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
He should. I played a game where the wind was blowing in badly enough the dirt was going in their eyes. Ump would call time at anytime. I only got mad while pitching to the other pitcher, I threw a perfect strike and the wind kicked up right as it landed. Threw another and the pitcher headed back to the dugout and the ump said full count. He must've called time while it was in the air again. I walked him next pitch.

They did eventually suspend the rest of the game thankfully.

defos

It's been very windy here the past 2 seasons. Sometimes the umps have told us they wouldn't be calling any infield flys called as there wouldn't be any routine popups due to the wind. A few times they've widened the strike zone a little to help the pitchers. Last year on opening day, the wind was blowing in at around 30 mph. Batter hit what should have been a routine fly to mid-centerfield, but our pitcher caught it between the rubber and 2nd base.
The worst conditions I've seen were in a tournament championship game years ago. Two pitchers on the other team kept rotating every 2 to 3 hitters because they were so frustrated that they couldn't throw strikes in a dust storm. Oddly, our pitcher threw a knuckleball and had few problems with the wind. The day before, we took batting practice before our first game when it was so foggy we couldn't see the hitter or ball from the outfield.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember a game when I pitch toward the plate it'll be blown wide. I'd have to lob the ball toward the batter in order for it to land in the strike zone. But of course once a while the wind stops and the ball lands on the batter.