Other who obstructs who?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thanks again, I appreciate the help here. Before we all get the Error 404, have a good night :)

No problem.

I think the 504 gateway timeouts have been considerably less over the last couple months. Maybe they made some changes and rescheduled whatever scheduled tasks for a later time?

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
It should also be noted that it does not matter if it was a grounder or a fly ball. :D

And hey, if you had players riding your ass about a call, you'd want to tell them to take a hike, too!

I actually just went up to ask him what his logic behind the call was, and explain my point of view (as well as what I believe to be the right call...but I wasn't abrasive at any point.)

That said the ball ended up falling well more than 5 feet from the fielder. There was also next to no time for the collision to be avoided once the shortstop moved forward. At least from my point of view. Dan was already well on his way -- he literally could not have known that the shortstop was going to jump back into his way after bobbling the ball. IMO there is no way that could be intentional interference.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
NCASA-any chance of a 'let em play' on a collision like that? I could not find an ASA rule that specifically covered this situation.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I've emailed the league and asked to speak to someone tomorrow, not going to get anyone in there tonight I think. Even if just to clarify the ruling on this one.

@NCASAUmp - does it make any difference at all, in your opinion, that he calls me out on "obstruction" where the SPN rulebook seems to indicate that obstruction is the act of the defensive player obstructing a baserunner - while interference is the act of the baserunner interfering with a defender's ability to play the ball?

Protests must be made immediately. You're too late to do anything now.

Joel

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
NCASA-any chance of a 'let em play' on a collision like that? I could not find an ASA rule that specifically covered this situation.

If the ball was that far away from a fielder, I will go with obstruction. No chance of 'let em play'.......It is either obstruction or interference and I am guessing that the umpire on the field judged interference.

Joel

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Protests must be made immediately. You're too late to do anything now.

Joel

Protests were made immediately, he told us to keep playing and that it was an out. This was already said.

That said I'm not optimistic I've never heard of an Ump's call being overturned so whatever.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I actually just went up to ask him what his logic behind the call was, and explain my point of view (as well as what I believe to be the right call...but I wasn't abrasive at any point.)

That said the ball ended up falling well more than 5 feet from the fielder. There was also next to no time for the collision to be avoided once the shortstop moved forward. At least from my point of view. Dan was already well on his way -- he literally could not have known that the shortstop was going to jump back into his way after bobbling the ball. IMO there is no way that could be intentional interference.

Okay, so DanGer says it was 5 feet, and you're saying it was well more than 5 feet.

It's a judgment call as to whether he was still fielding a batted ball.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The story details:

I'm the runner on 2. Ball is hit weakly but bouncy, I have to go. I start trucking along. Ball is in my path, ball passes me, ball comes bouncing back followed by the SS. I brace for impact and just destroy the SS in the collision, and I continue on to 3rd base afterwards.

Ump calls obstruction and I'm called out, batter is sent back to the plate, runners back to original base.

This the bottom of the 7th, in a tied playoff game. Shirts are serious.

The umpire may have felt that if you had time to brace for a foreseeable impact, you had time to check-up or at least make an attempt to avoid it especially if you had enough momentum to "destroy" the SS.

It is not obstruction, but interference. And it did not cost you the game.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Okay, so DanGer says it was 5 feet, and you're saying it was well more than 5 feet.

It's a judgment call as to whether he was still fielding a batted ball.

I thought he was referring to the SS being about 5 feet from him when the ball was bobbled. The ball itself was bounced further than 5 feet away from the SS after it hit his chest (these damned low compression crazy balls.)

Anyway it's not my intention to argue about it anymore. I was just frustrated because of the call, but it is what it is. If the appeal works that's great if not then that was yesterday.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I want to go back and talk about your "protests" guys. Sounds like you guys argued the call with the umpire, and you believe that this is a "protest". That is absolutely not the case.

In order to protest a rules interpretation, you must inform the umpire "we would like to play the game under protest", or something very close to that nature. The score book will be noted, and you will then file the protest with the league/tournament director after the game. If your protest is upheld, then both teams would meet on the field again, and replay the game from the point of the protested call. EDIT: Except in your situation, it sounds like if the protest was upheld, the winning run would have scored here and the game would be over anyhow.

Simply bitching at the umpire is not a "protest" and that is why you got told to take a hike, kick rocks, or whatever. It does not sound like you guys (or your team manager more accurately) is familiar with how to properly protest a rules interpretation of an umpire.