Who would be interested in wood bats and good balls again?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
imo there is no such thing as composite hero. why? cause everyone can use them and not EVERYONE hits them out. why do people continue to cry about the use of equipment that is available to anyone? AWall, you're wanting to quit over this? grow the **** up. unless you've got a strong wind at your back, to hit a ball over 300'+, you still have to hit the ball hard enough to go 300'+. ****ty swing or not.

A composite hero is the guy that can only hit it 305 because he's got a composite, but he struts around like he's Rickey Henderson. He's usually the guy that used to ooop on 200' line drives 10 years ago.

The difference is ten years ago we all made fun of that guy, and now people talk about him being a homerun hitter or whatever op says he'd heard in his league.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Doing well, you?

Good here man. Wife and I retired from the AF and moved the fam to the country. Getting ready to go back to college next month. Playing in one local league per year with 44/400s and no bat restrictions.

Games tonight---time for some mis-hit HRs! LOL!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We hit 44/375s with anything but the new ASA only and I've already hit one since I moved back to KY. You ever play with or against Elvis in the AF?

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A composite hero is the guy that can only hit it 305 because he's got a composite, but he struts around like he's Rickey Henderson. He's usually the guy that used to ooop on 200' line drives 10 years ago.

The difference is ten years ago we all made fun of that guy, and now people talk about him being a homerun hitter or whatever op says he'd heard in his league.

that's not what the op is talking about. he's talkign about the #4 hitter whos probably #4 hitter for a reason since he's heard everyone talking about him. so he's obviously got power and can hits them out on mi****s. to me, that's not a composite hero. that's a guy with a crappy swing, who can crush the ball because he's obviously strong.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's not what the op is talking about. he's talkign about the #4 hitter whos probably #4 hitter for a reason since he's heard everyone talking about him. so he's obviously got power and can hits them out on mi****s. to me, that's not a composite hero. that's a guy with a crappy swing, who can crush the ball because he's obviously strong.

I think of it more like you, but some people think that guy is too because if he had a metal bat with a smaller SS he'd probably never hit one out. Some people like me need the Composite Queen bonus of pop, and some guys have the strength but need the CQ bonus of huge SS over the entire barrel. I assume that's what he means at least.

I think I'd average 1 homerun a year without comps, and that'd probably come with a strong tailwind.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
We hit 44/375s with anything but the new ASA only and I've already hit one since I moved back to KY. You ever play with or against Elvis in the AF?

Man I am so far gone on association bat restrictions and ball standards and what not. I played a little USSSA in Virginia after I retired but since moving out to small town Arkansas we just play a one-season league in the summer. About all my crappy knees can take.

I don't know who Elvis is...I mighta but I retired 6 years ago.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
They tried having a wood bat league at the BLD near my house. Only had 5 total teams enter the first season and they never brought it back do to lack of interest. I had an absolute blast though! But I also do most of my tee work with my woody(unless I'm breaking in a bat) and even game it a lot on regular league nights. After hearing some of the comments here it sound's like I need to try some 52's with my woody!!!!!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man I am so far gone on association bat restrictions and ball standards and what not. I played a little USSSA in Virginia after I retired but since moving out to small town Arkansas we just play a one-season league in the summer. About all my crappy knees can take.

I don't know who Elvis is...I mighta but I retired 6 years ago.

He retired a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure you'd remember him if you had. He's not exactly quiet.

If I don't lose some weight I'm going to be in that same boat. I started running and it's actually helped my knees. Still playing tournies, but I pitch, so if I lose a step it's hardly noticeable. haha

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
They tried having a wood bat league at the BLD near my house. Only had 5 total teams enter the first season and they never brought it back do to lack of interest. I had an absolute blast though! But I also do most of my tee work with my woody(unless I'm breaking in a bat) and even game it a lot on regular league nights. After hearing some of the comments here it sound's like I need to try some 52's with my woody!!!!!

The difference is t as much as I hoped, but 52's are better than anything else.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Still plenty of cheating possible with metal, it's a false conception that it will fix anything with bat doctoring. And they can be made plenty hot, arguably hot as composite, but they become less durable than composite IMO.

Haha so your saying PSTs will become the rage again as it was the only metal bat that the really benefitted from tampering. I believe today metal only would be good as there are limited high performance options out there. Very Few if any are able to altered to get any significant benefit. Most will just fail early without really showing great increase in performance.