Other Why at first base there is a security base but second base does not?

ShortStop10

My teacher asked me "Why at first base there is a security base but second base does not?"

Does this have any "technical" justification? What would you say?

I need it for an exam, thanks

RustyShakleford

the difference is you can run through 1st base and you can't at any other bases other than home. a safety base at 2nd or 3rd would be dumb

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
1st base is the base where 2 people's feet are constantly on the bag simultaneously. So the safety bag makes most sense there.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Seniors has a similar set up at home for the same reason. Bases that can be run through can be dangerous. Not to say fielders at 2 and 3 are "safe," but it's different.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My teacher asked me "Why at first base there is a security base but second base does not?"

Does this have any "technical" justification? What would you say?

I need it for an exam, thanks

Where in this world is this referred to as a "security" base?

It is bad enough the skill has diminished to the point someone felt it was necessary to put a second base at 1st and again at the plate. And some players still aren't smart enough to figure out which base to use as it is.

The reason the double base is there, is to avoid collisions since 99% of the initial plays are non-contact and there is no need for the runner to slow down or hesitate unlike 2nd & 3rd

msinn

Addicted to Softballfans
It is bad enough the skill has diminished to the point someone felt it was necessary to put a second base at 1st and again at the plate. And some players still aren't smart enough to figure out which base to use as it is.

And some "local" organizations as well.

jfsully

Addicted to Softballfans
In our senior league we tred something:

To avoid collissions at 2nd base we put a second real (normal height) bag directly behind the normal bag at second (along a straight line from first to second) ... The runner went to the "normal" 2nd base bag and the fielder would go to the back bag on force plays.

It totally avoided the contact at second AND got rid of any potential interference call.

Tags would be handled the same as always with runner going to "normal" bag and fielder having to tag him before he got there.

It worked well BUT there was a lot of complaining from people who did not like change (just as I'm sure there was with the extra homeplate in senior ball). We dropped the idea because of that.