Why SBF never sponsored a conference team?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Surprising SBF never sponsored a good conference team.....it woulda been app pro pro .....what the hell?

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
How do they decide who to back? There are so many guys/teams that play so many different levels and associations, if they pick one over the other it can seem indiscriminate. And with the association with so many bat companies, they can't really back a specific name without isolating others.

And cheaters.... too many cheaters out there.;):D

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
That would be cool to sponsor a good D or E team even. I'm sure that most of us play the lower levels

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
That would be cool to sponsor a good D or E team even. I'm sure that most of us play the lower levels

Why would you throw good $$$ at a bunch of Softball Scrubs playing in the worst levels? You are looking to impress people who then want to buy your products.... You would have better luck getting your local Tavern to sponsor your league with Subs and discount beer after league games....

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would you throw good $$$ at a bunch of Softball Scrubs playing in the worst levels? You are looking to impress people who then want to buy your products.... You would have better luck getting your local Tavern to sponsor your league with Subs and discount beer after league games....

I tend to think the exact opposite. I think more bat companies should sponsor more teams at the local level. Why would you not want to put the bats in hands of the people you sell most too which is the "scrubs" in D and E.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I tend to think the exact opposite. I think more bat companies should sponsor more teams at the local level. Why would you not want to put the bats in hands of the people you sell most too which is the "scrubs" in D and E.

My thoughts as well. The number of D & E guys compared to conference players is not even comparable. Appeal to the masses.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I can honestly say I've never bought a bat bc I saw a professional player swing it. I've bought bats based on what I see the average player doing with a bat

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I buy whatever bats I want because it doesn't matter what I'm swinging. These outs are automatic son.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I agree. Either pay the very best players to swing your bats and put their names on them, or sponsor the D and E teams. That's where the money is. That's where the majority of serious softball players are that own 6 bats and buy the new models every year. Every few years the hottest bat for an Association seems to change. A lot of times the change happens slowly as people play with or against guys smashing the ball. You try their bat and like it, and go buy one for yourself.

I would think this would be the target audience. The average rec player doesn't understand spending $200-$300 on a bat when Wal-Mart has the Thumper for $40, and the big boys are sponsored and don't buy bats. The majority of the players are "E".

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I swing whatever bat the FB groups are hyping the most that week. Except for the big M's. Eff that guy and his garage ran bat company.

sjury

The Old Man

I can honestly say I've never bought a bat bc I saw a professional player swing it. I've bought bats based on what I see the average player doing with a bat

My thoughts as well. The number of D & E guys compared to conference players is not even comparable. Appeal to the masses.

There are millions and millions of people across the country playing softball, and 90% never see a sanctioned tourney as a player or a spectator and could care less about those teams. Sponsoring local and charity tourneys and league teams will get you a better return than a traveling tourney team. I worked in the industry and our local league guys referred other teams to us exponentially more than the tourney teams did. When you get to that level no one is looking for someone to get bats from, uniforms, gear, etc...they already have a guy.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Surprising SBF never sponsored a good conference team.....it woulda been app pro pro .....what the hell?

I think that several years ago, they were sponsoring an NSA "C" team as SBF/Miken. I know that I played in a fundraiser tourney for them since they wanted to go to worlds in Las Vegas, but that might have been 7 or 8 years ago.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
This would def be a waste for a conference team. The amount of sales Sbf does to higher levels is prob 1%. Better off sponsoring a team of 6 ace7's, 6 gio's, maybe 1 joker and 1 it's really my daddy's boat. Now that team will buy anything you tell them is good.

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
The best thing is to have a few friends who are bat freaks and they buy every bat they can get their hands on. That enables you to swing a different variety of bats and you choose what you like and feels great to your liking. One thing I have learned is you need to swing what makes you feel comfortable and confident. This will give you great results.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's about driving sales. If they sponsor a D team in Ohio, is anyone outside of OH going to hear their name and check out the site? That being said, is there anyone who sees a Conference team and doesn't already know what SBF is?

Someone said something about sponsoring tournaments earlier. I think that's the best way to get their name around the country. If they could partner with an association, and sponsor tournies in multiple states, I think that'd be the best return on their investment.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

I agree. Either pay the very best players to swing your bats and put their names on them, or sponsor the D and E teams. That's where the money is. That's where the majority of serious softball players are that own 6 bats and buy the new models every year. Every few years the hottest bat for an Association seems to change. A lot of times the change happens slowly as people play with or against guys smashing the ball. You try their bat and like it, and go buy one for yourself.

I would think this would be the target audience. The average rec player doesn't understand spending $200-$300 on a bat when Wal-Mart has the Thumper for $40, and the big boys are sponsored and don't buy bats. The majority of the players are "E".

There are millions and millions of people across the country playing softball, and 90% never see a sanctioned tourney as a player or a spectator and could care less about those teams. Sponsoring local and charity tourneys and league teams will get you a better return than a traveling tourney team. I worked in the industry and our local league guys referred other teams to us exponentially more than the tourney teams did. When you get to that level no one is looking for someone to get bats from, uniforms, gear, etc...they already have a guy.

I remember when Nike came to me at the height of my perocial school league basketball career and offered me a shoe/clothing line deal named after me. I liked the thought of it but had to turn down the Cracker Hops branded Nike gear cause I was only in junior high & still had a long way to go in my academic career. Shortly after they had to settle for signing Michael Jordan and missed the greatest marketing opportunity in their company's history.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I remember when Nike came to me at the height of my perocial school league basketball career and offered me a shoe/clothing line deal named after me. I liked the thought of it but had to turn down the Cracker Hops branded Nike gear cause I was only in junior high & still had a long way to go in my academic career. Shortly after they had to settle for signing Michael Jordan and missed the greatest marketing opportunity in their company's history.

I would've bought a pair of Nike Chrometips if they came with a free tube of metal polish. Shame.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Not one of the people already posting in this thread have any idea how much it costs to "sponsor" a conference team.