USSSA Wood bat rule

bturk21

Addicted to Softballfans
So I went to use my wood bat in league the other day and the umpire asked if it had the new thumbprint stamp on it and I said no. The umpire told me I could not use it because it did not have the new stamp. After the inning was over I pulled up the new bat rules on my phone from the USSSA web site and the rules state the all bats must have the new USSSA stamp OR be a wood bat. The umpire told me that those are not the correct rules and asked where I found those rules. Then was basically telling me that I must have wrote up the pdf that the rules are on. The bat I was going to swing was a Louisville Slugger wood bat. It did have an ASA stamp but not a USSSA stamp

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
I had the same issue here playing usssa tourney ball in SoCal with a LS woody last year. (I was playing almost all wood bat at the time) I brought up the usssa website read verbatim OR MADE OF WOOD showed them their own website. Still no avail, they changed argument from it doesn't have the stamp to LS is not an usssa approved manufacturer :O. Ended with I'm the director of this tournament and it's what I say.

Look at him, smile, go pick up a composite and hit it through someone.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I had the same issue here playing usssa tourney ball in SoCal with a LS woody last year. (I was playing almost all wood bat at the time) I brought up the usssa website read verbatim OR MADE OF WOOD showed them their own website. Still no avail, they changed argument from it doesn't have the stamp to LS is not an usssa approved manufacturer :O. Ended with I'm the director of this tournament and it's what I say.

Emphasis mine. Where do you get some of these guys?

English is a complex language with many nuances, but there is really no ambiguity in the "OR" in the bat rule.

Also, Louisville Slugger is most certainly a licensed manufacturer.

slick303

B(.)(.)BS

Did you protest every time the other team tried to use a LS bat? I would have....

chirotob

So I just got done scouring the 2016 slow pitch rule book and I cannot find anything with the exact terminology, "all bats must have the new USSSA stamp OR be a wood bat".

What I did find was: page 9, 2016 USSSA rulebook and bylaws: [ame]http://web.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/2016SPRulebook.pdf[/ame]

"Wood bats made on the approved USSSA bat manufacturer list shall be legal without regard to this section..."

This would serve the same purpose, essentially saying that wood bats on the utrip approved manufacturer list would not need to conform to having the new thumbprint.

If the quoted terminology can be found on the utrip site, can anyone point me to it?