Wood or aluminum - College Baseball

C's 9

Manager
It said there would be new restrictions for the aluminum bats as well.

I was confused when they came up with their figure for wood bats at $100. I toured the Louisville Slugger museum and their major league bats were being sold for $40 - $50 a bat depending on what wood they used. I'm sure college teams would buy in bulk and get similar rates. LS museum did say that a MLB player typically goes through 100-125 bats in the course of a full season.

Those coaches dont' want to lose those endorsement deals imo.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
In theory wood would be great making it alot easier to project talent to the majors but its all about money so they will stay with aluminum

Guvna

Buzzing towers
It said there would be new restrictions for the aluminum bats as well.

I was confused when they came up with their figure for wood bats at $100. I toured the Louisville Slugger museum and their major league bats were being sold for $40 - $50 a bat depending on what wood they used. I'm sure college teams would buy in bulk and get similar rates. LS museum did say that a MLB player typically goes through 100-125 bats in the course of a full season.

Those coaches dont' want to lose those endorsement deals imo.

40-50 are for Grade D and below.

MLB= Grade A
Minors= Grade A/B (depending on your contract)
Rookie Ball Grade C
Mass produced for anyone else to buy (Grade D and below)

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans

MLB= Grade A
Rookie Ball Grade C

You seem to know alot about wood bats so i was wondering something.......My buddy was playing in a wood bat baseball league locally and his brother bought him a bamboo bat for his bday that was hitting seeds. Where do you think that would fall grade wise?

Guvna

Buzzing towers
You seem to know alot about wood bats so i was wondering something.......My buddy was playing in a wood bat baseball league locally and his brother bought him a bamboo bat for his bday that was hitting seeds. Where do you think that would fall grade wise?

just bad....lol...not to bust balls but it's not good wood overall.

Fine for that level, but it's the user that's hitting seeds, not the bat.

The pro maple is where you want to stay with tight grains....the tighter the grains, the stronger the wood.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
just bad....lol...not to bust balls but it's not good wood overall.

Fine for that level, but it's the user that's hitting seeds, not the bat.

The pro maple is where you want to stay with tight grains....the tighter the grains, the stronger the wood.

I dont know how much his brother spent but i was just wondering cuz i hit it as well and it was noticably better than the team bats that were bought

Guvna

Buzzing towers
I dont know how much his brother spent but i was just wondering cuz i hit it as well and it was noticably better than the team bats that were bought

I would imagine that the bamboo has a different sound and a composite additive....if so, they wouldn't be able to use it in any real amateur or pro leagues. Also, the team bats were most likely Grade D or below.

I hit with a grade B bat when i played a little rookie ball in AZ....night and day from what the public has the option of buying.

C's 9

Manager

MLB= Grade A
Rookie Ball Grade C

These were for the MLB bats. I'm sure they were priced due to the amount each club buys per season and if I were to go buy one they would be a hell of a lot more expensive. I would think that the college programs would be able to work out similar deals.

Do you recall the number for the MLB bats on the Louisville Sluggers? Was it 120? I know anything that isn't stamped with that number is not MLB quality.

And if anyone is in the area and hasn't taken this tour, I strongly recommend it. Was pretty damn cool.

Guvna

Buzzing towers
These were for the MLB bats. I'm sure they were priced due to the amount each club buys per season and if I were to go buy one they would be a hell of a lot more expensive. I would think that the college programs would be able to work out similar deals.

Do you recall the number for the MLB bats on the Louisville Sluggers? Was it 120? I know anything that isn't stamped with that number is not MLB quality.

And if anyone is in the area and hasn't taken this tour, I strongly recommend it. Was pretty damn cool.

Louisville won't provide any B quality or better to the general public....the best wood is specifically for the pro's.

Comparison: Don Shula (from Shula's steakhouse) only accepts less than .001% of the beef in the country...he gets top pick of all beef.