Worlds at Space Coast

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Who's playing at Worlds in FL, and what divisions? I'll be down umpiring D and E the 15th-18th.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've never been there. After the last Worlds at Disney I had pretty much given up on doing USSSA again. Until I got called to do Conference.

Viera doesn't have the same feel as Disney. Not even close. That said, the fields are still pretty nice. The wind always blows, and the heat/humidity are usually off the charts. The turf makes it feel worse.

longball101

Part Time Player
Played a Senior tourny there in July. Was my first time. I like the fields, but not impressed with the way the tourny was run at all. Switched balls on us and made us use the Classic M..it sucked, Don't think there was a single HR hit, which is pretty sad for the SR division, but did see a few bounce over. Would love to play on those fields with a decent ball

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Played a Senior tourny there in July. Was my first time. I like the fields, but not impressed with the way the tourny was run at all. Switched balls on us and made us use the Classic M..it sucked, Don't think there was a single HR hit, which is pretty sad for the SR division, but did see a few bounce over. Would love to play on those fields with a decent ball

Classic Ms are really hard to hit out on those fields. 2 years ago we used them for USSSA B and C worlds, and there weren't a ton being hit out. Single digit scores were routine too.

The fact that they keep the balls in buckets at the backstop all day doesn't help. By midafternoon those things have baked for hours and feel like nerf balls when you squeeze them.

Camnew

Addicted to Softballfans
Classic Ms are really hard to hit out on those fields. 2 years ago we used them for USSSA B and C worlds, and there weren't a ton being hit out. Single digit scores were routine too.

The fact that they keep the balls in buckets at the backstop all day doesn't help. By midafternoon those things have baked for hours and feel like nerf balls when you squeeze them.
The Pro M has been a good compromise for the heat in Viera, where I have played a handful of B/C tournaments this year. The Classic M's were garbage down here after March.

That being said, I just heard they aren't bat testing in the C, so you'll see a lot of home runs with hot bats.

longball101

Part Time Player
Yep, we were told we would be using the Pro M's in the July tourny, but they pulled a last minute switch-a-roo on us

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The Pro M has been a good compromise for the heat in Viera, where I have played a handful of B/C tournaments this year. The Classic M's were garbage down here after March.

That being said, I just heard they aren't bat testing in the C, so you'll see a lot of home runs with hot bats.

Yeah, I've never seen bat testing at worlds down there other than military varsity A. Any of the lower classes you can pretty much swing whatever you want.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I've never seen bat testing at worlds down there other than military varsity A. Any of the lower classes you can pretty much swing whatever you want.
My understanding in years past was they let you swing what you bring until the last day, or the last four teams. Then everything got tested and buckets were used. In 2017 they had buckets on the field for the E chip.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
My understanding in years past was they let you swing what you bring until the last day, or the last four teams. Then everything got tested and buckets were used. In 2017 they had buckets on the field for the E chip.

You could be right. I never make it far enough at worlds to worry about playing on the last day.:)

Camnew

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed.

They tested the A last year, the B has buckets this year, and every event C and above all year in viera had testing.

I was told they tested the C last year, but didn’t see it first hand. Every class below that, the final four (or two) is all I’ve ever seen tested.

The lower levels are a free for all.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I was watching the Women's A last night and they had buckets for the winner's bracket semis in the stadium. And there was an announcement today that they are going to test everybody's bat after every game and every bat that fails or breaks will be cut open.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Agreed.

They tested the A last year, the B has buckets this year, and every event C and above all year in viera had testing.

I was told they tested the C last year, but didn’t see it first hand. Every class below that, the final four (or two) is all I’ve ever seen tested.

The lower levels are a free for all.

I played B last year, and didn't see any testing. My team got beat out early, so we weren't there late in the tourny either.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Went 0-2 at C worlds. I had 4 homers in 2 games. Pro M flew well. Almost too well at times. When the wind blew out some teams were having problems keeping the ball in. If the wind blew in teams weren't hitting them out.

The Pro M is light years better on those fields than the ZN classic M ever was. It seems to play pretty fair. I saw plenty of balls die at the warning track where guys just missed it.

They tested every team's bats this year for C as well. First time I'd seen that. The Pro M flew well off two of my bats that tested at 270.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
D and E ended up testing the final 16 teams in each division. The fields were great, but man they radiate heat in the early afternoons. I was selected to work the E World Championship game, which was an absolute blast. The wind was blowing every day and made a huge difference in how balls were flying. I was on Red Rawlings Friday and Saturday, didn't have more than one IE either day. The guys on Red Marucci were getting two or three a game.