Any Wrong ball thrown in and used by hitting team

robokill

Manager
We use Worth Gold Dots (12") for everyone in co-ed. Batter hits a foul ball with 2 outs, the ump only has 1 ball for some reason so the hitting team throws in an 11" ball (probably accidentally). Somehow our pitcher doesn't notice, they get 2 hits and then an ISTP home run, and our outfielder notices the ball is small. What's the call?

robokill

Manager
how in the blue **** do you not know its an 11" ball?
I asked our pitcher, he said it felt good so he went with it...:wtf2: This isn't high level ball, a lot of the players probably didn't even know there were different sized softballs.

RODOJR13

Addicted to Softballfans
I think you would notice it more if your switching every other batter, but can see where a lesser experienced player would miss that.

What a minute it is not just the pitcher's fault. He said that the team got 2 hits before the ISTP HR. So, that means a couple of people picked the ball up too and the catcher. Plus the Ump should of checked it out before letting the pitcher pitch the ball. Allot of blame here.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
In General

In ESF, ISF and I believe ASA, where there are two balls being used for co-ed play, the rule is that if the wrong ball is used the offense are given the option of the result of the last play or.....wait for it...........a do over. The offense are given the choice because it is presumed that the defence should recognise the difference before the ball is pitched.

In this case you are playing with only the 12" balls for both sexes and you don't list what rule set you are playing under so I have no idea what rules you might be applying but based on the other rules I know (Vaguely) the 2 hits would stand and I would be inclined to offer the offence the option not that it would take too much work to figure out their choice :)

This is on the Blue though, why did they let a ball enter play without checking it??? Can't un-ring a bell though.

robokill

Manager
Ok thanks guys, at first the Ump called an out and the 3 run ISTP HR didn't count, but then there was a long discussion and he ruled that the HR stood and there were still 2 outs.

sjury

The Old Man
Ok thanks guys, at first the Ump called an out and the 3 run ISTP HR didn't count, but then there was a long discussion and he ruled that the HR stood and there were still 2 outs.

I can live with this ruling, kind of. The ball should be thrown into the umpire, and then umpire puts it in the catchers hand or tosses it to the pitcher, just like in the MLB. You cannot turn back the clock, especially since at least four people, if not more, touched the ball and didn't realize something was wrong. The only other fair option would be to negate the HR and make the batter rehit with a new count.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
In ESF, ISF and I believe ASA, where there are two balls being used for co-ed play, the rule is that if the wrong ball is used the offense are given the option of the result of the last play or.....wait for it...........a do over. The offense are given the choice because it is presumed that the defence should recognise the difference before the ball is pitched.

In this case you are playing with only the 12" balls for both sexes and you don't list what rule set you are playing under so I have no idea what rules you might be applying but based on the other rules I know (Vaguely) the 2 hits would stand and I would be inclined to offer the offence the option not that it would take too much work to figure out their choice :)

This is on the Blue though, why did they let a ball enter play without checking it??? Can't un-ring a bell though.

ISF using one ball in their Coed game (Appendix 4, Para. 5).

In ASA. WHEN DISCOVERED, the manager has the option of taking the result of the play or have the batter return to the box and assume the count previous to the wrong ball being put into play.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Any umpire who heard the 11" ball come off a man's bat who didn't immediately say wait WTF is going on should turn in his blue shirt and clicker. And don't bother saying he has too much going on to keep track of the ball. They are VERY different. It's an extremely important part of our job. F- on the ump.

For the record, my league used to do that crap, and we changed to everyone hitting the 12" ball but letting the ladies use any bat they want while the guys must use league provided single wall bats. Much less work for everyone involved and the better bats more than make up for the loss of the smaller balls.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Any umpire who heard the 11" ball come off a man's bat who didn't immediately say wait WTF is going on should turn in his blue shirt and clicker. And don't bother saying he has too much going on to keep track of the ball. They are VERY different. It's an extremely important part of our job. F- on the ump.

For the record, my league used to do that crap, and we changed to everyone hitting the 12" ball but letting the ladies use any bat they want while the guys must use league provided single wall bats. Much less work for everyone involved and the better bats more than make up for the loss of the smaller balls.

Hey, it happened to me last night for the first time ever. Pitcher threw the 12" ball to the catcher, who tossed it to me. I put it in my ball bag so quickly, I didn't even notice the size. Male batter stepped up and popped up to the outfield.

Do over.

You can blame the umpire all you want, but the fielding team deserves the loss since no one in the field, ESPECIALLY the pitcher, didn't realize they had a smaller ball after 3 batters. I feel like there is a pretty extreme difference, feel, look, and sound.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
ISF Update

ISF using one ball in their Coed game (Appendix 4, Para. 5).

FYI the 2 balls were introduced in 2006 i believe and this was done with local / tournament rule changes. As of this year the two balls are in the rule book for co-ed play.

If you have a printed rule book from before this spring then it is out of date. The new ones should be out soon but the ISF has just opened it's slow pitch Ump School online and has easily doubled the number of Slow Pitch approved and qualified umpires in the last year. They are gearing up for co-ed growth!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
FYI the 2 balls were introduced in 2006 i believe and this was done with local / tournament rule changes. As of this year the two balls are in the rule book for co-ed play.

If you have a printed rule book from before this spring then it is out of date. The new ones should be out soon but the ISF has just opened it's slow pitch Ump School online and has easily doubled the number of Slow Pitch approved and qualified umpires in the last year. They are gearing up for co-ed growth!

Actually, my reference is from the ISF web site. Unfortunately, they have not updated their book at that location. But did confirm your statement the 2014-2017 changes at another section of their site.

It is a shame the ISF has taken to dummying down their game as their rationale is complete bull****.

The women play with a 12" ball from the time they enter the 12U age level, so why is it believed that when they become an adult, they can no longer handle it?

When I worked the 2002 Co-Ed World Cup in Plant City, the women did just fine with a 12" ball, hitting, fielder and throwing and that was before the bats ruined the game.

brughster

hiting the wrong ball ONLY applies to the current/last batter. This is the only thing that can be overturned...past is in the past, no fix. male/female hits incorrect ball and discovered BEFORE next pitch is a do-over. thats your choice...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
hiting the wrong ball ONLY applies to the current/last batter. This is the only thing that can be overturned...past is in the past, no fix. male/female hits incorrect ball and discovered BEFORE next pitch is a do-over. thats your choice...

No. The coach has a choice of accepting the play or the batter return and assuming the count at the time the ball was put into play.