Other WSL COED League interference call

Tonight in my co-ed league runners were on first and second with 2 outs. The batter hit a line drive between my LF and LCF. Runner from second scores easily as does the runner from first. The batter/runner comes around to score for an inside the park homerun. I am covering home and there is a play to be made on the batter/runner. My SS goes to make the throw and has to alter what he would normally do because a player not involved in the play walked in front of me in the field of play. I asked the umpire for him to call interference because said player not involved in the play crossed into the field of play in front of me, the pitcher, covering home plate for a throw. Her crossing in front of me caused my SS to throw the ball in a different manner than he would have had she not crossed in front of me. The umpire said it wasn't interference at the time of me calling for it. If I'm not mistaken this interference call would have made the runner who ended up scoring out and nullify his run. When I asked him to explain immediately following the play he said that there was no play to be made. Was this the correct call or was it interference? I'm not protesting the game. I'm not looking to go back to him and throw it in his face. I would just like clarification.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
First, I don't call WSL but interference rules are pretty universal.

Working my way backwards through your story, the umpire told you that there was no play to be made. If there is no play/opportunity for an out to interfere with, there can be no interference.

In those situations, I usually give the benefit of doubt to the offended team. Like if there was the slightest chance there could have been a play made, then I'm calling the interference. I don't know this umpire and I didn't see the play so it's hard to judge.

BUT

If there is an opportunity for a play and a member of the offense that has no business being there (runner having already scored, bench player, etc.) interferes with a throw, you would have interference. Dead ball. Return everyone to the last base touched at the time of the interference. Runner closest to home is out.

Separately - you have mentioned it was a "player not involved in the play walked in front of you". I'm assuming this was either a runner that had already scored or a bench player retrieving the bat or something. I'd usually have words with the coach or the player after it's all over if that happens. I've shooed more than one player away when there was a live ball and they tried to come and get a bat. But that's usually youth fast pitch and the coaches have drilled in to their team, "On deck batter gets the bat" so they run out at the moment it's discarded to try to grab it.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
So basically a judgement call and in that particular umpire's judgement there was nothing to call?

So her impeding whether intentional or otherwise thus forcing my SS to alter the throw he would've have made had she not been crossing through the field of play while the ball is still live is a judgement call on the interference. Thank you for clarifying. I'm still trying to learn a lot of the rules in WSL so when I asked and he said there was no play to be made I was not understanding why in his opinion there was no play to be made when there clearly was from my perspective. The batter/runner may have still been safe but the throw from SS would have been a much harder throw thus making it a closer play than it was with her crossing through the field of play.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Pretty much once the umpire judged there was no opportunity for a play, it won't really matter.

Yes, the player crossing in front of you should not have and as an umpire, I often engage in "preventative umpiring" by telling them to stay back until the play is over. Shouldn't have happened. It did. Umpire judged there was no way an out could have been made so there was no interference called. You disagree. I didn't see it, so I have no opinion beyond what could/should have happened.

I did disagree with the umpire making the call and not with you, but, I disagreed based on my understanding of the rule and the player not involved in the play crossing in front of me. We play the commit line and senior line rule to avoid collisions at home plate in coed. But again thank you for clarifying. So after a situation like this you as an umpire would speak with the manager of the other team or managers of both teams to make it clear that this creates an unnecessary risk of injury and to inform their respective teams that this can't happen in the future? Again, let me say thank you for helping me. I am eager to learn. I'd rather learn from an umpire and understand their interpretation on different situations to better understand the call that is made.