USSSA Yet Another Rule Question

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
In the CO-ED game before us last night (yes I know.. most have stopped reading already) a girl 'hit' the ball and it landed in front of the plate fair. She then dropped the bat on the ball..she didn't throw the bat at the ball..nor did it look like she did it on purpose but..the bat did indeed hit the ball (again)

Any idea what the call is?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Like Sonic said, dead ball. Out.

Utrip Rule 8, Section 4

Sec. 4. A BATTER-BASE RUNNER IS OUT under the following circumstances.

B. When he drops the bat in fair territory and it makes contact with a fair ball
by moving into the ball.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Yup. I agree. I have called this in a National Qualifier a couple years back. It wasnt poplar, but it was correct.

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans

Utrip Rule 8, Section 4

B. When he drops the bat in fair territory and it makes contact with a fair ball
by moving into the ball.

Notice the wording on this. The bat moved into the ball. If the bat is laying there and the ball rolls into it, then the ball is live.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Right and in the OP scenario the bat hit the ball in fair territory in front of the plate. It was clearly stated that the bat hit the ball. So we have an out.

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
OK.. so what about she? Is there a female version of this rule?:p

Utrip Rule 8, Section 4

by moving into the ball.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
OK.. so what about she? Is there a female version of this rule?:p

From the Utrip rulebook:

NOTE: Use of the word “he” in this publication is intended to include both the masculine and feminine genders unless otherwise noted.

So there :D :p

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
Yup. I agree. I have called this in a National Qualifier a couple years back. It wasnt poplar, but it was correct.

probably not as umpopular as when I tossed 3 guys concurently for dropping F bomb during FH Q last year......I loved the last 2 said you didn't warn us......well A that is an automatic anyways and B 1 guy just got tossed 10 sec before you so that should have "clarified" things for you......

USSSA

The Veteran
In the CO-ED game before us last night (yes I know.. most have stopped reading already) a girl 'hit' the ball and it landed in front of the plate fair. She then dropped the bat on the ball..she didn't throw the bat at the ball..nor did it look like she did it on purpose but..the bat did indeed hit the ball (again)

Any idea what the call is?

why would u stop reading because of coed, no one gender is more important then the other, that is a major attitude issue in softball, they are all ball players one they step onto the field to play, I see only players playing the game

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
why would u stop reading because of coed, no one gender is more important then the other, that is a major attitude issue in softball, they are all ball players one they step onto the field to play, I see only players playing the game

You know, it's funny you should say that. I know people say that umpires make calls based off of who it is or which team it is, but when I make calls, I just see players. I don't see males or females, tall, short, thin, fat, anything! I often make the call, THEN realize who I just called out or safe.

Unless you're an umpire, you'll never understand just how easy it is to get so focused and in the zone that those completely irrelevant details get lost in the mix.