What makes Vinci Gloves so good? Why All the Hype?

scats16

<font color="GoldenRod">GDC PLATINUM STATUS MEMBER
AB74-L 13 inches of pure awesome greatness :cool:!!!!!
6a9fb97c.jpg

f6dfdb57.jpg

daddy want ^^...:D

skew12

This question is best answered when you can compare a few gloves side by side. To me, there are four or five categories of gloves, and they kind of overlap. This is how I see it...

1. Cheap big box store gloves - Wal Mart, Target, a lot of the gloves at *****, Sports Authority, etc. These gloves typically last 1-2 years of playing and are shot
2. Higher price big box store gloves - this is where the Diablo, Rawlings Silverback's and Heritage, Wilson A800 or A1000, many of the TPX/TPS gloves, etc. fit. These gloves are decent and for a rec player or one church game a week guy they will last 5+ years, for a guy that plays 50+ games a year these will last 2-3 years and either become super floppy or will dry out. IF they are treated, they get heavy most of the time. The leather is typically soft, but not high quality.
3. Cheap customs - this is all of the Rodriguez gloves and most of the other lower end Mexican model customs. There are a couple others that fit in here as well. These gloves are really just for show. I have owned one and was extremely disappointed with the quality. After hearing many good things, I bought one, and it was NOT what people said they were. I would never buy another one again. IMO wouldn't last 3 years with playing all the time, in many cases probably worse than the gloves in category 2.
4. Lower tier 'quality' gloves - this has many gloves in it, including the highest dollar gloves you can usually find at a big box store or your average mom and pop shop. You will see some good gloves like Reebok, Nike, Akadema, a few Rawlings, Mizuno, and Wilson. The Liberty's probably fit in here as well, but a case could be made that they might go in a different category. Most of these gloves will last you 10 years if you take care of them. There are others that would fit in here, like lower end Nokona, Kelley, Kazuma, Zett, SSK etc.
5. Top of the line gloves - this is the true Rawlings HOH, Pro Preferred's, the A2K and A2000 series Wilson gloves, almost all Vinci's, many Mizuno models, as well as a lot of the Japanese (Zett, SSK, etc.) The difference with most of these gloves is that they are what I would call 'lifetime' gloves. Outside of conditioning and re-lacing, they all will last you as long as you play. Sure, there might be some that will break down over time, but the investment cost of $150 - $250 is well worth it when you consider getting a minimum of 5 years, but more like 15 years out of the glove. If you average it out over 10 years, it is $15 to $25 a year, well worth the price. The difference is the leather, the other materials (welting, lacing, stitching, etc.).

I used to be hardcore Rawlings HOH for fielding gloves, used an A2000 catching (the glove lasted me 5+ seasons, probably about 200 games and numerous practices and bullpen sessions). Over time, I have migrated to other gloves, mainly because Rawlings and Wilson don't really make a lot for softball that is good. I now have Vinci, Mizuno, Kazuma, and Worth (Liberty) gloves at my house. I use the Liberty's more than anything, due to the size and configuration (13"+ and an open back H-web).

I suggest spending the money on a good glove. It doesn't have to be a Vinci, but you cannot go wrong if you get the Vinci style you like. Don't just buy a Vinci to get a Vinci though, buy a Vinci because they offer a glove in the size, web, and configuration you are looking for. Best of luck!

Perfect post here. It really breaks down where a glove shopper should place their needs.

Btw, I'm waiting for the 13" open back, H-web Vinci!

SSM Boy

Addicted to Softballfans
Can anyone comment on the H web vs dual post vs T web? I'm leaning towards the RV60, BMB-L, TJ1952-L, or RV65. I justify spending the money by thinking it will be the last glove I need for a very long time....

Also, does anyone know why on their website some of the gloves have a softball logo/diamond when looking at them, and some do not? IE:
http://www.vincipro.com/cart/baseball-glove-model-rv60-13-cp-baseball-glove-h-web.html
http://www.vincipro.com/cart/br46-l-bordeaux-14-inch-softball-glove-h-web.html

i had the RV60 and it is a baseball cut meaning a taller pocket made for a baseball. the RV65 is the same glove but .5 inches taller.

i have a TJ1952-L which i think could have eaten my RV60 lol. its made for a softball so it is a wider/deeper pocket as opposed to being taller.

for u playing infield tho i would think 13.5 is too big so i would suggest the bmb or actually the 12.75 RV1961-L. that glove actually plays a bit bigger then 12.75 but is perfect for what u need and if u ever did need it for the outfield it can be used easily.

just my 2 cents but u wont go wrong with getting the bmb or the rv1961. biggest difference in the 2 gloves is the .25 in size and also the RV has an open back where bmb is not

Nietzsche

Drowned God
This question is best answered when you can compare a few gloves side by side. To me, there are four or five categories of gloves, and they kind of overlap. This is how I see it...

1. Cheap big box store gloves - Wal Mart, Target, a lot of the gloves at *****, Sports Authority, etc. These gloves typically last 1-2 years of playing and are shot
2. Higher price big box store gloves - this is where the Diablo, Rawlings Silverback's and Heritage, Wilson A800 or A1000, many of the TPX/TPS gloves, etc. fit. These gloves are decent and for a rec player or one church game a week guy they will last 5+ years, for a guy that plays 50+ games a year these will last 2-3 years and either become super floppy or will dry out. IF they are treated, they get heavy most of the time. The leather is typically soft, but not high quality.
3. Cheap customs - this is all of the Rodriguez gloves and most of the other lower end Mexican model customs. There are a couple others that fit in here as well. These gloves are really just for show. I have owned one and was extremely disappointed with the quality. After hearing many good things, I bought one, and it was NOT what people said they were. I would never buy another one again. IMO wouldn't last 3 years with playing all the time, in many cases probably worse than the gloves in category 2.
4. Lower tier 'quality' gloves - this has many gloves in it, including the highest dollar gloves you can usually find at a big box store or your average mom and pop shop. You will see some good gloves like Reebok, Nike, Akadema, a few Rawlings, Mizuno, and Wilson. The Liberty's probably fit in here as well, but a case could be made that they might go in a different category. Most of these gloves will last you 10 years if you take care of them. There are others that would fit in here, like lower end Nokona, Kelley, Kazuma, Zett, SSK etc.
5. Top of the line gloves - this is the true Rawlings HOH, Pro Preferred's, the A2K and A2000 series Wilson gloves, almost all Vinci's, many Mizuno models, as well as a lot of the Japanese (Zett, SSK, etc.) The difference with most of these gloves is that they are what I would call 'lifetime' gloves. Outside of conditioning and re-lacing, they all will last you as long as you play. Sure, there might be some that will break down over time, but the investment cost of $150 - $250 is well worth it when you consider getting a minimum of 5 years, but more like 15 years out of the glove. If you average it out over 10 years, it is $15 to $25 a year, well worth the price. The difference is the leather, the other materials (welting, lacing, stitching, etc.).

I used to be hardcore Rawlings HOH for fielding gloves, used an A2000 catching (the glove lasted me 5+ seasons, probably about 200 games and numerous practices and bullpen sessions). Over time, I have migrated to other gloves, mainly because Rawlings and Wilson don't really make a lot for softball that is good. I now have Vinci, Mizuno, Kazuma, and Worth (Liberty) gloves at my house. I use the Liberty's more than anything, due to the size and configuration (13"+ and an open back H-web).

I suggest spending the money on a good glove. It doesn't have to be a Vinci, but you cannot go wrong if you get the Vinci style you like. Don't just buy a Vinci to get a Vinci though, buy a Vinci because they offer a glove in the size, web, and configuration you are looking for. Best of luck!

Great post and sums up the glove choices pretty well.

After a certain retail price point the field from a quality perspective just levels out roughly at 159-200+.

It comes down to style, feel and personal preference from there on out.

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
daddy want ^^...:D

Looks smaller than 13".....I will find out first hand when I get home from work though. My AB74-VM will be on my porch :D

I will post pics next to my 13" Proto TJ1952.
The VM is sick bro. I saw and handled one that smarkley had. I'm still tempted to get one but since I already have that cut in the Limited series Im feeling it might be a little overkill.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their info on Vinci and I am leaning toward getting this glove: RCV-L Black 12.5 inch. http://www.vincipro.com/cart/rcv-l-black-12.5-inch.html Any first had experience on this particular model? Thanks

The RCV is a really good glove I used it a couple times but felt really "exposed" compared to the AB. Either way you go you've already made the right choice with Vinci ;)

Phish12

The Rookie
Looking long and hard at Vinci gloves. I have a Worth Liberty Advanced LA135BH, but find that while the glove is fairly light and has nice width, the actual pocket is fairly narrow and short. Would prefer a deeper, wider actual pocket as I play middle infield. Looking at the AB74-L, TJ1952-L, and maybe the BR46 (worried it may be too big and too heavy). Any thoughts?

Nat X

Dios mio, man.
Looking long and hard at Vinci gloves. I have a Worth Liberty Advanced LA135BH, but find that while the glove is fairly light and has nice width, the actual pocket is fairly narrow and short. Would prefer a deeper, wider actual pocket as I play middle infield. Looking at the AB74-L, TJ1952-L, and maybe the BR46 (worried it may be too big and too heavy). Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about the TJ for pitching. I think anything over 13" is too big for MI. And if you play 2b or 5th man then I'd want a 12.5 or smaller. You want to get the ball out asap for turning 2.

Bullets#57

BMB or AB74 would either be great for what it sounds like you want.

Madsunz

http://www.vincipro.com/

On the website, it has them grouped by Baseball or Softball. I think there are some that overlap, but this is a good place to start. Also, look at a lot of the model numbers guys posted in here already. The BMB-L and the RV1961 are two that I think are great all around softball gloves, based on size, cut, etc.

MaverickAH

IS there any list or definitive way to know if the Vinci is a softball or baseball cut?

http://www.vincipro.com/

On the website, it has them grouped by Baseball or Softball. I think there are some that overlap, but this is a good place to start. Also, look at a lot of the model numbers guys posted in here already. The BMB-L and the RV1961 are two that I think are great all around softball gloves, based on size, cut, etc.

There's that plus if you go into theindividual glove & scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see what Vinci recommends under, "Product Features".

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
The VM is sick bro. I saw and handled one that smarkley had. I'm still tempted to get one but since I already have that cut in the Limited series Im feeling it might be a little overkill.

So my AB74-VM arrived yesterday and true to Vinci form it is a nice piece of work. The one thing I noticed immediately though was that it seems small for a reported 13" glove. I compared it to my 13" Proto TJ and it is smaller/shorter. I don't have a postal scale but it seemed lighter as well (maybe a result of the mesh - or maybe my TJ has some sweat-weight built in). Looking forward to getting it broken in hopes of it making the TJ my backup.....love the velcro!!!

Phish - if you are coming from a 13.5" LA I think you you will find the AB74 to play smaller length wise but wider pocket-wise. And I'd imagine the TJ1952-L (which appears to play larger) dwarfs the AB74 but there doesn't seem to be much in between unless you want a trap.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

2 very nice Vinci's at very nice prices in the Selling Forum

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=992156

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=991815

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
So my AB74-VM arrived yesterday and true to Vinci form it is a nice piece of work. The one thing I noticed immediately though was that it seems small for a reported 13" glove. I compared it to my 13" Proto TJ and it is smaller/shorter. I don't have a postal scale but it seemed lighter as well (maybe a result of the mesh - or maybe my TJ has some sweat-weight built in). Looking forward to getting it broken in hopes of it making the TJ my backup.....love the velcro!!!

Phish - if you are coming from a 13.5" LA I think you you will find the AB74 to play smaller length wise but wider pocket-wise. And I'd imagine the TJ1952-L (which appears to play larger) dwarfs the AB74 but there doesn't seem to be much in between unless you want a trap.

can you post pics of the AB next to the TJ.. I'm imagining if there is a big difference between the AB and your proto TJ which you said was 13" there is going to be an even larger difference betwen the AB and the finished TJ which is 13.5"...

Bullets#57

While it is new, it will seem significantly smaller than the TJ, but the pocket will deepen up very nicely as you get it broken in. I found the TJ a bit to big for me, so I alternate between my AB74-L and BMB-M. :D

taylor714914

Addicted to Softballfans
So I think I've got it narrowed down to the BMB-L, the AB74, and the TJ1952. Any chance someone can post pics of these gloves side by side so I have a good comparison of size/pocket size?

taylor714914

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the BMB, but with mostly outfield duty with occasional second base, I think its a bit small. I'm used to playing a 14" Demarini Diablo, and would like to size down some, but not too much. Also, not sure if the Diablo is a baseball or softball cut...if that makes a difference.

Psykout

San Diego Vinci Rep
I like the BMB, but with mostly outfield duty with occasional second base, I think its a bit small. I'm used to playing a 14" Demarini Diablo, and would like to size down some, but not too much. Also, not sure if the Diablo is a baseball or softball cut...if that makes a difference.

Since you play mostly outfield, got with the TJ. You can always pick up an AB74 later for infield duty! :D Just my personal opinion!

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci

The TJ will be somewhat shorter than your diablo I can guarantee that. The pocket will be much deeper and wider than the Diablo. I know this for a fact as several of my teammates swear by their diablos and they are nowhere near as durable or well constructed as the TJ or any other Vinci. The bordeaux/black TJ are just plain sick looking...

Bullets#57

I would get the TJ if you are already used to using a 14". It will swallow a ball, so be ready to catch everything that is hit to you.