Search results

1. T

ASA Time Limit - End of Game

2 outs, bottom of the 4th inning, visiting team leading. With 3 seconds remaining on the game clock (50-minute time limit), the batter hits a ground ball to F3. While F3 is in the process of fielding the ball, time expires. After time has expired, F3 steps on first base to record the final...
  2. T

ASA Batter Crossing Home Plate

For starters, I hate using a game clock for softball. I understand why it is necessary, but it leads to way too much stupid shenanigans. Late in the game, home team is trailing with less than 2 minutes remaining and 2 outs in the bottom of the inning. The batter takes his position in the...
  3. T

Swinging Third Strike - Hit by Pitch

This is actually from baseball, but it's slow. I am hoping that the baseball and softball rulings are equivalent. Batter has a 2-2 count. Pitch is in the dirt, batter swings and misses, and the ball bounces up and hits the batter in the leg. Batter runs to first base and beats the throw from...
  4. T

ASA Unsporting Behavior - Penalty

ASA Rule Supplement 49 (at least in the 2016 book) lists several behaviors that are considered unsporting. However, the rule supplement does not address the penalty for these behaviors. What is the penalty and where can it be found in the rulebook?
  5. T

USSSA Fielder Distracting Batter

Of course it's USSSA, since they are the only ones who allow pitchers to do stupid stuff, but I digress. While running a 5-man infield, the middle infielder positions himself about 10-15 feet behind the pitcher and one step to his right (pitcher is right handed). While the pitcher is pump...
  6. T

Out of Baseline

R1 on 3rd base. Batter hits a ground ball to SS, who throws home to get R1 heading to the plate. Catcher catches the ball and attempts to tag the runner, who is standing directly on the baseline, about 3 feet from home plate. Runner jumps away, moving at least 6 feet into foul territory...
  7. T

Any Interference?

Batter hits a pop-up down the fence line. First baseman comes over to the fence, just beyond the dugout. As the fielder reaches over the fence to attempt to catch the ball, a member of the offensive team reaches up (without crossing over the fence) and swats the ball away. Is this...
  8. T

Any Valid Appeal

Situation: Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Batter hits a pop up about 5 feet beyond 3rd base and 10 feet into foul territory. Runner from 2nd advances to 3rd on contact. F5 ranges into foul territory and catches the ball. F5 then walks over to the runner on 3rd and tags him while he is on...
  9. T

Any "Run-Through" Tag Up

Can a base runner go behind (toward LF at 3B, toward RC at 2B, into foul territory at 1B) the base in order to tag up on a caught fly ball? Basically, the runner takes a few steps away from the next base, allowing him to get a running start and hit the base after the fly ball is caught.
  10. T

ASA Ball Thrown/Kicked Out of Play

Batter hits a ground ball to shortstop. Shortstop makes a bad throw to first base. As the ball passes the runner, his natural running motion causes him to kick the ball (behind him, with the back of his foot), causing the ball to jump over the fence, out of play. What is the appropriate...
  11. T

ASA Missed Base Appeal

R1 is advancing home, but is not forced. Throw comes in from 2B. F2 is standing in front of home plate, along the first base line. The runners first foot hits just before home plate. His second foot lands just beyond home plate. Shortly after the second foot lands, the F2 receives the throw...
  12. T

ASA And Chaos Ensued

Bases loaded - 1 out. Before the play begins, the umpire clearly announces that there are 2 outs. Ground ball hit to SS, who bobbles it momentarily then flips to 2B for the force at second. The batter-runner, thinking that the inning is over, returns to the dugout before reaching first...
  13. T

ASA Three Obstruction Scenarios

I don't know what it is with obstruction calls this week, but I have been involved in all 3 of these this week. 1. Batter hits a slow ground ball down the first base line. The ball is rolling up the line about 3" foul. The first baseman is coming in, directly up the line, attempting to...
  14. T

ASA What, if anything, is the call

Bottom of the 5th, 2 outs, runner on 2B, less than 1 minute remaining in a timed game, visiting team leads 12-9. After the pitch crosses home plate, the runner heads toward 3B in a half-hearted attempt to steal. It is readily apparent that his real purpose is to get thrown out, extending the...
  15. T

Any How Many Runs

Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter hits a home run. While rounding the bases, the runner who started on 1st base misses 2nd base. After the play is over, the defense appeals the missed base and the runner is called out. How many runs score? Does the answer change for various associations?
  16. T

ASA Slide/Avoid at 2nd Base - Citation

I know that everyone rolled their eyes when they saw this title, as this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. However, I got into an argument with one of my players (who also happens to be, as he pointed out to me, a certified ASA umpire). I need some assistance in solving the argument...
  17. T

ASA Ball Out of Play - "Almost"

Play begins with no one on base. Batter singles to left field. The batter is standing on first base when the shortstop throws the ball back to the pitcher. The ball goes over the pitcher's head and is headed toward the offensive team's dugout. The ball would have rolled in the dugout, but...
  18. T

Other Running Out of Base Path

Since the notorious IFF post generated so much enthusiasm and discussion, how about this. Am I missing something here, or did Ichiro go way more than 3 feet outside the established base path...
  19. T

ASA Thrown ball hits player

Ground ball hit to shortstop, who throws to first base. The ball gets passed the first baseman and hits a player on the offensive team (not the runner, on deck hitter, or base coach). He was standing just outside the entrance to the dugout, but was definitely on the field of play. What is the...
  20. T

Any Batting Out of Turn

Assume the batting order is: B1, B2, B3. Scenario: B1 reaches first base. B3 grounds into a fielder's choice, forcing B1 at 2nd base. Defensive team appeals batting order to umpires before another pitch. My understanding of the rule on this is: Previously 0 outs: B1 remains out, B2...