ASA Thrown ball hits player

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
Ground ball hit to shortstop, who throws to first base. The ball gets passed the first baseman and hits a player on the offensive team (not the runner, on deck hitter, or base coach). He was standing just outside the entrance to the dugout, but was definitely on the field of play. What is the correct call?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If it could in any way have affected the defense getting an out I've got a blocked ball and the most advanced runner is out.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Blocked ball. The ball is dead and all runners have to return to the last base touched at the time it hit the player. If the blocked ball prevent the defense from getting an out, the player being played on is out, but that doesn't sound like the case here. The player getting hit by the ball probably prevented the ball from going out of play and saved the defense a base.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Blocked Ball

Once again, you shouldn't "reward" the defense when they make a poor play. Either the throw was bad or the 1st baseman missed the ball. They opportunity to make an out was on the batter/runner at 1st base and they missed that chance. Kill it and advance runners but don't get an out here.

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
The throw from SS went of the first baseman's glove and into the dugout, grazing the player's hip on the way in. Hitting the player definitely had no effect on the play, as the ball would have gone into the dugout anyway. I figured it should be a blocked ball and the runner should just stay at 1B. The umpire's ruling - dead ball, runner out.

If it could in any way have affected the defense getting an out I've got a blocked ball and the most advanced runner is out.

I would have called it this way. That player should not be out of the dugout. It is 2 base coaches and an on deck batter. Every other player belongs in the dugout.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Really?

I would have called it this way. That player should not be out of the dugout. It is 2 base coaches and an on deck batter. Every other player belongs in the dugout.

You're going to reward the defense with an out for screwing up? Just kill it and put the runners back and leave the batter/runner at 1st base.