ASA Recoil kicked out of an ASA game...

dakrt24

Softball Playa
Anyone had this happen. The ASA stamp on the end of the bat has wore off. Our league says no stamp no use. What can I do?
What was Miken thinking when they put a stamp that you have to use a magnifying glass to see. Plus, it's on the end where the paint chips off?

BOOYAH210

Addicted to Softballfans
Kint picking !!!

YES ITS IS A ASA RULE RARLY ENFORCED HENCE THE SHOCK WHEN IT IS.. MIKEN ISNT THE ONLY ONE DOING THIS EASTON IS NOW PLACING THE ASA STAMP NEAR THE ENDCAP. OTHER RULES WE GOT HIT WITH IS NO KNOB ON THE BUTT OF THE BAT CONDIERED ALTERING THE BAT!!! IN A HOUSTON TOURNEY EVERYONE HAD TO REMOVE ALL THE TAPE ONLY 2 LAYERS OF ATHLETIC TAPE NONE TWISTED TO FORM GRIP!! NIT PICKING :mad: GLAD SAN ANTONIO GOING USSSA LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Sucks to play in a league with umps with no knowledge

You really want us to memorize 1,000 different bats? Get real.

I've heard from various guys here and elsewhere that Miken will restamp the bat IF there's enough red field left for it to be visible. You may want to contact their customer service and take a few pics of the bat before sending it in. They may be able to work something out.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
YES ITS IS A ASA RULE RARLY ENFORCED HENCE THE SHOCK WHEN IT IS.. MIKEN ISNT THE ONLY ONE DOING THIS EASTON IS NOW PLACING THE ASA STAMP NEAR THE ENDCAP. OTHER RULES WE GOT HIT WITH IS NO KNOB ON THE BUTT OF THE BAT CONDIERED ALTERING THE BAT!!! IN A HOUSTON TOURNEY EVERYONE HAD TO REMOVE ALL THE TAPE ONLY 2 LAYERS OF ATHLETIC TAPE NONE TWISTED TO FORM GRIP!! NIT PICKING :mad: GLAD SAN ANTONIO GOING USSSA LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!

Use your inside voice.

Martell

Texas/New Mex Vinci Rep
Anyone had this happen. The ASA stamp on the end of the bat has wore off. Our league says no stamp no use. What can I do?
What was Miken thinking when they put a stamp that you have to use a magnifying glass to see. Plus, it's on the end where the paint chips off?

They were thinking if the stamp wears off they won't be able to use the bat and will have to buy a new one...

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
i had this happen a couple of times in league as well....umps call...not much we can do if they won't allow it...its not even on the banned bat list they have on playing site... i told them red is asa orange is usssa... but their response... no stamp...you can't use it... so next time new ump..maybe says yes...lol...

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans

I've heard from various guys here and elsewhere that Miken will restamp the bat IF there's enough red field left for it to be visible. You may want to contact their customer service and take a few pics of the bat before sending it in. They may be able to work something out.
Obviously every single bat is a little unrealistic. But the Recoil is far and away one of the most popular and most common ASA bats in history. Asking umpires to recognize it is not that uncalled for.

Umpires take pride in memorizing thousands of different rules. The bats are merely an extension of those rules, IMO.

Last edited:

kweiss

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh, and I heard about an umpire throwing out my teammate's fresh out the wrapper (literally took it off two days before), still shiny, less than 200 hit Recoil just because the stamp was too small and he got confused.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Obviously every single bat is a little unrealistic. But the Recoil is far and away one of the most popular and most common ASA bats in history. Asking umpires to recognize it is not that uncalled for.

Umpires take pride in memorizing thousands of different rules. The bats are merely an extension of those rules, IMO.

While the red Recoil is certainly a popular bat, it does not mean that every umpire has seen one.

And considering how much bat doctoring there is out there, the stamps are in danger of meaning less and less. This is precisely why ASA and other manufacturers are going after the bat doctors - counterfeiting the stamp weakens its value if no one believes in its validity.

Oh, and I heard about an umpire throwing out my teammate's fresh out the wrapper (literally took it off two days before), still shiny, less than 200 hit Recoil just because the stamp was too small and he got confused.

Well, you have to admit that the stamp DOES look a little bit fishy. Almost every other bat has a stamp that's about 3/4" big, while this stamp is less than half that. Not to mention the fact that it's in such a strange spot.

I'll admit that the first red Recoil I saw made me go, "wtf...?"

DickieSmallz

299' time all-star
KINT PICKING YES ITS IS A ASA RULE RARLY ENFORCED HENCE THE SHOCK WHEN IT IS.. MIKEN ISNT THE ONLY ONE DOING THIS EASTON IS NOW PLACING THE ASA STAMP NEAR THE ENDCAP. OTHER RULES WE GOT HIT WITH IS NO KNOB ON THE BUTT OF THE BAT CONDIERED ALTERING THE BAT!!! IN A HOUSTON TOURNEY EVERYONE HAD TO REMOVE ALL THE TAPE ONLY 2 LAYERS OF ATHLETIC TAPE NONE TWISTED TO FORM GRIP!! NIT PICKING :mad: GLAD SAN ANTONIO GOING USSSA LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!

Nice job misspelling the first word you ever posted on this site noobster! Now go get your caps lock key fixed.

DickieSmallz

299' time all-star

1000 bats? I didn't realize recoils were so rare in NC.

SouthernSwing

Off the bench...for now..
The league I play in plays strictly by ASA rules with no local rules overriding. I always made sure to have a color print out of the ASA Legal and Illegal bats from the ASA website in my bag for such disputes. In the case of no sticker....that's just going to be up to the ump. All you can do is have your print outs...show them to him/her (if he will look at them)....then they'll say gtg or ngtg.....and that's really all you can do during a game.

AdamHad'em

King of the whooo?
I had an ump try to toss a friend's ASA Recoil because he thought it was the Utrip version. He knew the Utrip version was orange, and without one there to compare, he thought the ASA red one was orange. We showed him the stamp, explained that the orange one was really orange, and all was good.

woopinstick

Addicted to Softballfans
I had another team question my Recoil this year during a game. Luckily, just enough of the ASA stamp was barely visible enough that the 70 year old ump was able to verify it. After the ump OK'd the bat, I let loose a blast towards the guy on the other team who questioned my bat, "If some people would take time to actually read the ASA bat lists, they wouldn't look like idiots."

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, you have to admit that the stamp DOES look a little bit fishy. Almost every other bat has a stamp that's about 3/4" big, while this stamp is less than half that. Not to mention the fact that it's in such a strange spot.

I'll admit that the first red Recoil I saw made me go, "wtf...?"

Lazy graphics designers = stupid stamp location. I'd wager quite a bit that the graphics of the USSSA Recoil were laid out first, and the ASA stamp added as an afterthought to the ASA version with no consideration for what would be optimal location. That afterthought then probably sparked the brilliant idea to put it in the worst available location on the bat, almost ensuring that it would wear away and need replacing at some point.

That's my laziness -> conspiracy theory take on the subject. There's really no reason for the stamp to be in that spot, other than it's a convenient spot to stick it when you've already laid out the stamps on the USSSA version.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
The placement just sucks period. The stamp is microscopic, on the end of the bat where it gets worn, and then they made it black so it doesn't even stand out. At least a white ASA symbol on the red recoil would have stood out more. For the first six months I had the bat I would see the umps start eyeballing the bat and would show them the stamp. Now most people have seen them.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator

Why not just put the dame stamp on the taper where it belongs?

This is a conspiracy to get people to buy more bats. :mad:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Lazy graphics designers = stupid stamp location. I'd wager quite a bit that the graphics of the USSSA Recoil were laid out first, and the ASA stamp added as an afterthought to the ASA version with no consideration for what would be optimal location. That afterthought then probably sparked the brilliant idea to put it in the worst available location on the bat, almost ensuring that it would wear away and need replacing at some point.

That's my laziness -> conspiracy theory take on the subject. There's really no reason for the stamp to be in that spot, other than it's a convenient spot to stick it when you've already laid out the stamps on the USSSA version.

I don't buy the "lazy designers" argument. There's a LOT of red real estate on that bat. PLENTY of spots to choose from.

They knew EXACTLY what they were doing! :mad: