DIY Pocket Grease Adhesive

has anyone out there tried to make their own pocket adhesive. I’m trying to research and find a way, possibly with beeswax and oil but curious if someone has had some success and wanted to share. Thanks in advance.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Speaking from failed attempts or is there stuff that good? There price point for the double pack doesn’t seem bad but wasn’t sure if there’s a more economical diy method out there.
I'm not sure if that's the same stuff Rous uses (he has a tub from Bart, which is both Glovesmith and USA Sports Direct), but if it is the same formula, that fact alone is one of the best endorsements a glove product can have.

MaverickAH

Gotcha. About how many gloves does 1 of those 4 oz tins service?

They will do about 6 gloves.

I would also advise sticking with either Glovesmith Glove Grease or Carpenter Trade Pocket Grease Adhesive. This is not an area to play mad scientist with. Stick with the professionals.

CanOfCorn

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to take over the discussion but I recently came across a glove guy/repairer who insists that palm grease is the downfall of modern gloves. He goes as far as to remove it from gloves.

What is the thought process behind this and what is the opinion here?

Jchap

Not to take over the discussion but I recently came across a glove guy/repairer who insists that palm grease is the downfall of modern gloves. He goes as far as to remove it from gloves.

He is wrong.

Is it that Wagner fella that has been taking over my IG feed you speak of? The fact that you can tell an adverse difference when the adhesive dries and separates the liner from the glove should be enough to dupe his argument. But hey what do I know.

CanOfCorn

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it that Wagner fella that has been taking over my IG feed you speak of? The fact that you can tell an adverse difference when the adhesive dries and separates the liner from the glove should be enough to dupe his argument. But hey what do I know.
That’s the guy. He seems nice enough and his work looks serviceable for the long haul but I just can’t understand is philosophy. The adhesive, I thought, served the purpose of keeping the layers from moving/wrinkling.

I
They will do about 6 gloves.

I would also advise sticking with either Glovesmith Glove Grease or Carpenter Trade Pocket Grease Adhesive. This is not an area to play mad scientist with. Stick with the professionals.

I don’t doubt that their stuff is top notch. I’m just wondering why for such little product it’s so darn expensive. I also wonder what the key ingredients are that cause the raised prices or if it’s simply a cornered market and they control the pricing.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Carpenter no longer sells the palm adhesive because he was acquired by Marucci. That GluvLuv guy bought his stock and you have to decide for yourself if you want to support him or buy Glovesmith/USA Sports Direct. Either should work.

The major drawback to palm adhesive is if the formula seeps and stains the pocket palms (very common with Wilson gloves). Some formulas also clump and it feels like there are pebbles inside between.

Jchap

I

I don’t doubt that their stuff is top notch. I’m just wondering why for such little product it’s so darn expensive. I also wonder what the key ingredients are that cause the raised prices or if it’s simply a cornered market and they control the pricing.
Try cosmoline. I think that is what Nokona uses.

Jchap

That’s the guy. He seems nice enough and his work looks serviceable for the long haul but I just can’t understand is philosophy. The adhesive, I thought, served the purpose of keeping the layers from moving/wrinkling.
You want the layers to be able to move a little bit, but not too much. Try superglue and see how that works out!

hdlaws

DAP Weldwood and Barge Contact Cement work fine for the purpose and do not seem to stain any palms. The contact cement smell dissipates in a day or two but is only noticeable if you bury your face in your mitt to kiss it.

JCglovesUSA

Addicted to Softballfans
Is Barge cement a permanent adhesive?

When I bought a tube of this, the store owner told me that it "would glue ice to water" LOL.

Would the permanent adhesive cause bunching of the palm leather, since it the layers would not be able to slide against each other?

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Is Barge cement a permanent adhesive?

When I bought a tube of this, the store owner told me that it "would glue ice to water" LOL.

Would the permanent adhesive cause bunching of the palm leather, since it the layers would not be able to slide against each other?
It is a cement and is dissimilar to what pocket adhesive is. Yes, it will glue the inner and outer portions together, but it will not allow movement. Also, since the glove will undoubtedly already have had the pocket grease installed, using cement over a greasy surface won't give you the best results, causing a bonding failure.

I still recommend picking up the usasportsdirect pocket grease.

JCglovesUSA

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks Dan.

Have you used the Carpenter version also?
I have used it, and it works well.

I assume that you are speaking from your experience when recommending the USA Sports Direct version?

JC

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Thanks Dan.

I assume that you are speaking from your experience when recommending the USA Sports Direct version?

JC
I have not used the Gluvluv stuff. I have to buy in bulk quantities for the number of gloves I use it in. It is different than the usasportsdirect product which I’ve detailed in another post.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't have a lot of gloves come back to me for reservice so I am not sure how the Glovesmith goo works in the long term. However, it is sticky as hell and I don't think it will ball up like the Rawlings goo. In one Horween Glovesmith glove I have (8 year old and still not broken in!), it seeped through, but so diffuse that the entire palm darkened in a sort of pleasant patina way. In my other Japanese tanned glove, no seepage. I know it is a recipe of "waxes and oils" but I don't know the formula. I think I was the first one to ask Bart if I could buy some and he said "hmm, yeah, I am about to cook up a new batch in the crock-pot." I think he charged me $25 for a pretty good size tupperware container of it. I still have about 1/2 left and it hasn't dried out a bit.

And yes, Nokona uses Cosmoline. I have a tube (ebay) but have not opened it.

Carpenter no longer sells the palm adhesive because he was acquired by Marucci. That GluvLuv guy bought his stock and you have to decide for yourself if you want to support him or buy Glovesmith/USA Sports Direct. Either should work.

The major drawback to palm adhesive is if the formula seeps and stains the pocket palms (very common with Wilson gloves). Some formulas also clump and it feels like there are pebbles inside between.

I'm the GluvLuv guy and have used both the "Carpenter" palm grease and the USA Direct product. I find the USA Direct product to be softer and darker in appearance which someone else on here already verified that it stained one of their palms. That would be my impression from looking at it as well but have never had anyone make that observation from gloves that I have worked. So if and when I use it, I do so sparingly and on gloves with darker leather. The "Carpenter" product is cleaner in its appearance, doesn't smell like grease and needs to be heated for application but I find that it does a much better job of eliminating pocket bubbles and holding the pocket/palm liner together than the USA. I hope that helps and thanks very much for your time.

Thanks Dan.

JC
Thanks JC. Feel free to reach me at GluvLuv on Instagram if you need more of the "Carpenter" version.

Don’t do it

Get the usasportsdirect product

Trust me[/QUOTE
has anyone out there tried to make their own pocket adhesive. I’m trying to research and find a way, possibly with beeswax and oil but curious if someone has had some success and wanted to share. Thanks in advance.

The "Carpenter" product works extremely well. If you need any, feel free to contact me, GluvLuv, on Instagram. Thanks.