Elbow sore after hitting?

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
After hitting some BP, my left elbow gets really sore. I bat right handed about 80% of the time. Is this a technique issue, or just from being out of practice for several years? Never noticed this problem when I was a much younger man! :eek:

Tried hitting lefty, but it hurt my left wrist!

joeytown008

Manager
I just started taking bp the other day and I was sore on the inside of my left arm at the top of my forearm right before the joint, is this what you are experiencing?

The Vapors

Addicted to Softballfans
I took some BP last week. About 150-200 cuts a day for three days in a row. At the end 3rd day I had a two sore elbows (left was worse than my right). The third day of BP was off a tee. I don't know if it was because I'm getting older, taking to much BP, hitting from a tee, lifting weights or a combo of all those things. I googled tennis elbow and did what they recommended. I don't have one of those velcro straps to put on my forearm so I used a tight wristband below my elbows and it helped a lot.

joeytown008

Manager
Right inside of my left elbow. Its the actual "joint" it feels like.

Same thing I have, when was the last time you BP'd before than? I was just thinking it was the winter lay off I had! I mean I didn't swing from November until 3 days ago so who knows!

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
Just started playing....been to the cages a few times in the last two weeks. Haven't hit in YEARS. THis leads me to think it's just non use of those muscles and joints.

joeytown008

Manager
Just started playing....been to the cages a few times in the last two weeks. Haven't hit in YEARS. THis leads me to think it's just non use of those muscles and joints.

That's what I figured too, I've played other sports through the winter but nothing that involves motions of that sort! So I'm believing the same thing! I'm not young anymore and get sore a LOT easier and for a lot longer than I used to! That is why I don't play on Mondays anymore cause after a long tourney weekend I'm sore for a few days!

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
I get typical muscle soreness all over my body. I've been anything BUT an athlete for the past few years. But twice after batting I've noticed elbow soreness. Hopefully it's just muscles asking WTF are you doing to us?

Now I just need to figure out what is making my left wrist hurt so bad when I bad lefty....

Hors3pills

The Rookie
Actually, whackin' it will strengthen your muscle so it won't hurt as much. But in all seriousness, I have the same problem and I bat righty as well, but it's always in my right arm where it hurts. It does this when I throw for a long time as well. Best thing to do in my experience is to stretch thoroughly before you do anything and drink plenty of water throughout the day. And then if it still hurts, afterwards, ice it down. (Yesterday I didn't have any ice, so i kept a cold bottle of vodka on my elbow and the pain went away... Or maybe it was because I was also drinking the vodka...) Anyway, you can't forget that softball no matter how recreational it is, it is still a physical sport and you are an athlete and should treat your body as such. I lift 15 lbs barbells every day just to keep the firmness in my muscles. I could lift much more weight, but 15 lbs for each arm is plenty if you do enough reps.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
I've thrown balls from the outfield before, while taking fly balls, all without warming up, and my right elbow hurt like HADES later in the day. This isn't as severe. But I know those pains were from not warming up before throwing that hard.

Maybe I need to warm up a bit more before swinging.

Thanks!

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
My tendonitis flares up bad every once in a while from work combined with softball. Just usually rest it as much as possible and it goes away. Dollar store has cheap elbow braces I sometimes wear that help if its really bugging me.

siyo605

Outstanding Bad Dealer
My tendonitis flares up bad every once in a while from work combined with softball. Just usually rest it as much as possible and it goes away. Dollar store has cheap elbow braces I sometimes wear that help if its really bugging me.

I agree. I have tennis elbow (tendonittis) from when I used to pitch baseball,I think it developed because of poor mechanics. Either way, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a elbow brace because after bp my inner elbow would be sore to the touch. My elbow is still a little sore after bp but not nearly as sore as it used to get.

frigginnuttz

Rally Killer
I shattered my elbow a few years ago and had to have major surgery to fix everything I have rods and pins in it and I've actually had 1 pin come thru the skin swinging once... talk about freaking out:eek: I have to wear a brace on it now and that sucks but its better then blowing it out again.....

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Right inside of my left elbow. Its the actual "joint" it feels like.

I have had that for awhile. It was diagnosed after test as a pinched nerve in my elbow. When it does bother me I use a Homedic Magnetic Wrap and that seems to take care of the problem with I am playing or bowling.