Green Pop Toss - My Setup & BP

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Just dropping a current note here...

I got some new o-rings for the plunger - Could not really see any wear on the old ones, but was having some trouble getting a consistent timing release. This is the vacuum model.

I thoroughly cleaned the inside & exhaust valve, installed the new o-ring on the plunger and lubed them up with silicone grease. The unit is now back to working great with very good consistency of timing. I have been out hitting several times a month when the temps get above 45°. Itching for the season to start (about another 4 weeks).

I still find this GPT unit very helpful. I have hit the trash can a number of times (by accident) which saved hitting the pop toss. I duck-taped the cracked plastic and keep using the same can. BTW, I did drill holes near the top & added two rope handles to carry the can from the car to the field. All my equipment (bat bag, tee, GPT, ball bucket, lawn chair) all fits in the trunk of my car.

I purchased inexpensive silicone grease from Amazon - It works great:

%%%

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I have been working on watching the ball (not taking my eye off it just before contact) and (always) timing.

Satisfying my goal is not measured by distance but by perfect contact with the ball - although higher hits (most times) do translate into longer distance. But more importantly, especially for line drives and grounders, that translates into high speed thru the infield.

%%%

OG_WhenPigsFly

All Pigs Run
I modeled my setup from Dunks, I definitely gained some distance but it’s not like 10 ft or anything, maybe 2-3

Just wanted to add, I measured the distance the other day. It was just over 22 feet by a couple inches from the pop toss ball to the back of the plate, most pitches were landing at least a foot behind the plate.

Forgot how much I liked this thing, softball is just ramping up for me and it’s been 6 months since I’ve used it.

OG_WhenPigsFly

All Pigs Run
Wanted to add my setup. The prop arm is at a funky angle because I reused all the lumber from a previous version but it’s stable. It has two angles for a flatter (7-8 ft) and higher (little over 9) pitches.

All 3/4 plywood, some hinges from an old ikea kitchen island thing and some long screws with wing nuts. Comes all apart and fits in my rear hatch thing in the car, that’s what I sized it to.

Pitches are from near a standing release height of a normal pitch, about, a little higher probably. As mentioned before I did gain a little distance removing the stock base, bottles and attaching to this contraption. Total pitch distance from the Poptoss to where the pitch lands is approximately 23-24 feet.

Might remodel it sometime this season but it works really well as is. I am somewhat concerned of blasting it with a hot middle shot, I do have some ideas to protect it, as of now I just either go backside or full pull so it’s not an issue, would be nice to shoot middle though. Hit a tad over 100 balls this evening in around an hour, great practice and fun.

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpeg
    IMG_5226.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5227.jpeg
    IMG_5227.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5228.jpeg
    IMG_5228.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 2

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Wanted to add my setup.
<SNIP>
I am somewhat concerned of blasting it with a hot middle shot, I do have some ideas to protect it, as of now I just either go backside or full pull so it’s not an issue, would be nice to shoot middle though. Hit a tad over 100 balls this evening in around an hour, great practice and fun.
You definitely don't want to blast the GPT - It's sturdy, but a hard hit line drive will definitely do damage.
My setup, at ground level, allows me to use a tall house trash can to protect the GPT while also holding all the balls I'm going to launch from it.

Thanks for posting - it's always nice to see how other's are working on their game skills.

%%%