Hard cores are ruining USSSA softball

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

You will never convince me the classic plus bounces more than a baseball. We fielded this for years, what's the problem now?
It's only one if two possibilities in my mind.
1, they sold their product on better competition because we allow hotter equipment, and they're afraid going with what asa choose years ago would undermine that.

2, they listen to the crybabies that complain about bad hops who in reality are afraid they won't hit as many homeruns.

I think it's that simple.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure I agree. I umpire ASA and see way too many HR's with mediocre to awful swings.....usually associated with a 25oz Monsta

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It's only one if two possibilities in my mind.
1, they sold their product on better competition because we allow hotter equipment, and they're afraid going with what asa choose years ago would undermine that.

2, they listen to the crybabies that complain about bad hops who in reality are afraid they won't hit as many homeruns.

We used C+ balls here in CO for like 10 years. Obviously there were some bad hops, but not more than any other ball.

No one seemed to take into consideration that infields here suck, and any ball is treacherous to field.

Using Pro Ms has ruined things here. Now everything's a HR, and games become "slap" contests to see who can keep the ball in. Hard cores have exacerbated the problems even further.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Not sure I agree. I umpire ASA and see way too many HR's with mediocre to awful swings.....usually associated with a 25oz Monsta

ASA's problem right now is ridiculous bats, not the balls. Those bats are specifically made to hit .52s, and will break almost instantly if you hit harder balls.

I do agree with you, though. I also ump an ASA league, and the HRs get silly after a while.

It seems like every sanction caters to sucky players now. Hitting the ball hard and far takes no skill anymore. All you need is a light saber and/or a ridiculous ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
When asa lowered the "pitch" speed in their testing it allowed much hotter bats. They may be hotter now excluding very cool temps, hard cores and stadiums.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
they listen to the crybabies that complain about bad hops who in reality are afraid they won't hit as many homeruns.

I don't think the hops are any worse, the crazy hops I've seen with the .52s have all been on the second hop. I'd much rather deal with that than the insane amount of knuckling I see with the ProMs.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
As a P, the 52's don't hop any worse than ANY ball on turf during the first touch of the turf. So many factors dictate how that first bounce is going to go on turf, and standing at ~52 feet, it can be rough. I've had more "weird" first-bounces at Viera than I have with any 52 ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the hops are any worse, the crazy hops I've seen with the .52s have all been on the second hop. I'd much rather deal with that than the insane amount of knuckling I see with the ProMs.
Different brands and different covers etc are all factors, but I'd rather do anything than get hit by those classic m bags that roll right on the ground and then jump up last second like an uppercut.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

Hard cores knuckle BAD. I've seen it lots of times. Those balls move more than probably any ball I've ever seen. If you don't get under the ball with spin they dance all over the place.

I attribute it to the cover.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Different brands and different covers etc are all factors, but I'd rather do anything than get hit by those classic m bags that roll right on the ground and then jump up last second like an uppercut.
I wore 3 of those on the wrist yesterday playing 3b. The infield being 80% speedy dry probably didn't help either.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore 3 of those on the wrist yesterday playing 3b. The infield being 80% speedy dry probably didn't help either.
I bet that wrist is feeling it today. Last time I got hit by a classic m I'd deflected it and caught it against my body with me left arm, and both my arm and side were sore and bruised for days.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I bet that wrist is feeling it today. Last time I got hit by a classic m I'd deflected it and caught it against my body with me left arm, and both my arm and side were sore and bruised for days.
It's tender for sure. One of the balls bounced straight up off my wrist to the ss for the out. Another I made a play on for a force at 2b. The third just rolled into no-mans land. Very frustrating on top of painful.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It's tender for sure. One of the balls bounced straight up off my wrist to the ss for the out. Another I made a play on for a force at 2b. The third just rolled into no-mans land. Very frustrating on top of painful.

Bauer street hockey wrist bands with the plastic insert help a LOT!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I just got back from KC. Played in that John King's Smoke Show tourny. It was at Mid America. Fields are 300', and slope downhill. 90% of teams seemed to be hitting hard cores. Even there it was way too much ball. Weather was hot, but windy. It was an absolute bomb fest.

Ludicrous amounts of HRs, many of which weren't hit very well.

DirtBag215

I just got back from KC. Played in that John King's Smoke Show tourny. It was at Mid America. Fields are 300', and slope downhill. 90% of teams seemed to be hitting hard cores. Even there it was way too much ball. Weather was hot, but windy. It was an absolute bomb fest.

Ludicrous amounts of HRs, many of which weren't hit very well.
Yeah we played on 300ft fences and there was a bunch of mistake bombs

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard cuts are too much, but played against classic Ms Saturday and they're still way too much at 60 degrees, and that was our high temps.

I wish I still had any 47/375s left to try in bp. I'm pretty sure I lost all of mine

DirtBag215

Hard cuts are too much, but played against classic Ms Saturday and they're still way too much at 60 degrees, and that was our high temps.

I wish I still had any 47/375s left to try in bp. I'm pretty sure I lost all of mine
Yeah it was around 55-60 Saturday. Tournament had a mix of short porch pro m’s and classic m’s. Both were too much

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

.47 375s were actually pretty decent balls. They never got overly hard, and weren't completely ridiculous off the bat either.

I haven't seen that cor/compression combo in years.