How Many BP Swings Are Too Many

swerv512

Manager
first of all i'm swingin an endloaded bat that jacks my form plus makes me tired quicker. how many BP swings should i take to maximize my efforts? i ask because the local cage is about 35 min away and i hate driving down there for 50 swings so i usually just swing until i cant anymore...

creative10

Banned User
I swing until my hands blister but thats just me;):D...but swing until u think u found a good stroke and r hitting the ball square on a consistant basis. I usually find my 2nd round is my best round.

scuderia

Addicted to Softballfans
If time allows 2 rounds of 60-70. I tape my hands in blister prone areas and wear gloves. Haven't done this in a while probably would hurt me up for 2-3 days. :D damn fall/winter :(

murc

I swing until my hands blister but thats just me;):D...but swing until u think u found a good stroke and r hitting the ball square on a consistant basis. I usually find my 2nd round is my best round.

Yes.. My first round of 30 or so balls consists of finding the sweetspot and staying on it. When the second round comes around, I just let muscle memory take over and let it fly.

swerv512

Manager
so should i use a lighter bat? i'm swingin a 28oz bat that feels like a 30 oz because of the weighted end and my form goes pretty quick swingin that bat. i'm trying to kill the bat in the cage so maybe i can get a 26oz...

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
I would say 50 swings is more than enought any more then that you will start to get tired and you will screw up your stroke and create bad habits.

blurex

Most Hated #33
Swing until your form starts to go

this is it...

2 rounds of 70 balls and i wanted to hit another round...but in the last round of 70 my form was jacked up and I was struggling just to swing the bat, i was so tired...i finished the round but was done for the day..and the next day..lol...

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
sounds like you need to do some interval training, haha.

my favourite way to hit BP is to do it in pairs. you hit 10, then your partner hits 10, then switch back. if i just sit there and hit 30 straight, that's enough to start messing with my swing if i'm working on power. doing 20 hits in a round, and then waiting 20mins until it's your turn again sucks just as much though. the first 10 end up being a warmup, and i only get like 10 real, game type swings. i'd hit 1000 hits a day if i could. i just love to hit. but if i was trying to actually improve instead of just have fun, i'd probably do the 10 on 10 off thing for maybe 40-50 hits a turn, and 2 or 3 rounds. i don't think you need to work on your stamina for swinging a bat, so it'd actually be detrimental to develop that kind of muscle. same reason sprinters don't usually run 10miles for a workout

Last edited:

Smokies26

Manager
I like to take 4 rounds of 25. This is so you dont kill yourself swinging, but by the end you are also a little fatigued, kind of in the same way you would late in the day on Sunday. Round 1 is getting lose, 2 and 3 I just let it fly and round 4 I just mainly look to hit the ball hard where ever I am trying to hit it, i.e. some back side and some I hit out.

aquinoheat

25 swings a round for me. Anywhere from 3-7 rounds. I treat it like the gym. You need time to rest. I don't do 50 reps a set at the gym so I'm not taking 100 swings a round at BP either. But that's just me.

WOS

Expert Opinion
We take 300-400 cuts twice a week. Usually Tuesday and Thursday so you could recover on Mon, Wed and Fri before the weekend!

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I try to limit myself to 15-20 balls a round. I usually do 3 rounds sometimes 4. Anymore than that and I find the swings start to get sloppy and I lose form.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
We take 300-400 cuts twice a week. Usually Tuesday and Thursday so you could recover on Mon, Wed and Fri before the weekend!

Man must be nice Pat. Between finding time, people, and a place it's a challenge for me to hit once a week and usually it's limited to an hour.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I like to do 3-4 sets of 30-50 swings in the offseason, just enough to get the blisters opening up, callouses hardening and blood blisters forming without doing any real damage. During the spring/summer/fall I cut out one set because I use everyone else's BP for fielding practice, which takes more out of you by the end.

swerv512

Manager
my favourite way to hit BP is to do it in pairs. you hit 10, then your partner hits 10, then switch back.

^^^
+1... this.
i just got back from the cages and i took 165 cuts. the difference this time is that i shared cagetime with two other guys so i could recover between sessions. today i took only 15 cuts per session -BIG DIFFERENCE than my ususal 45 cuts at a time.
swingin in pairs lets me recover and the bat i thought i hated is starting to feel good all of a sudden:eek:
thanks guys.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
by myself i usually do 60 cuts miniumum and up to 200. when its a team or group thing, i usually only get about 25-40 cuts

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
a lot depends on how you do them.
If you are in a cage by yourself then limit yourself or you will tire after 25 or so and the rest is just wasting time or creating bad habits.
If you take a break then 100 or so is not too bad.
Today we hit 2 rounds of 25 then played hitting games for 4 rounds of 5.
I like the smaller rounds so you dont get into a rythem that you never get into during a game, you have to really focus on each pitch.

I like to take 4 rounds of 25. This is so you dont kill yourself swinging, but by the end you are also a little fatigued, kind of in the same way you would late in the day on Sunday. Round 1 is getting lose, 2 and 3 I just let it fly and round 4 I just mainly look to hit the ball hard where ever I am trying to hit it, i.e. some back side and some I hit out.

its what i like,if it is 2 or more of us for a live bp,i take my barrel that has 200 or so balls in it and we do the 25 each.
if i go and do tee work i have a wheeled equipment bag with 100 or so balls,than i do 10 swings than change bats.it gives me a rest between bats.i also do my heavy/light bat drill,work with a 24 oz up to 32 oz bats and also use a set of weighted batting gloves.work on mechanics.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
first of all i'm swingin an endloaded bat that jacks my form plus makes me tired quicker. how many BP swings should i take to maximize my efforts? i ask because the local cage is about 35 min away and i hate driving down there for 50 swings so i usually just swing until i cant anymore...

Until fatigue compromises your form and mechanics. How many swings is subjective to your strength and stamina. Two buckets of 30 is about all I'm interested in taking.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Until fatigue compromises your form and mechanics. How many swings is subjective to your strength and stamina. Two buckets of 30 is about all I'm interested in taking.

This is correct but how many here know their swing well enough to know when they are losing mechanics?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
This is correct but how many here know their swing well enough to know when they are losing mechanics?

Well.........Not to dog anyone, but very few of them know much about mechanics to begin with. Most are swing as hard as you can, until you can't swing anymore. When you know your swing and when the proper mechanics of your swing start to deline.....You'll know.........

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Well.........Not to dog anyone, but very few of them know much about mechanics to begin with. Most are swing as hard as you can, until you can't swing anymore. When you know your swing and when the proper mechanics of your swing start to deline.....You'll know.........

I agree, same goes for warming up before a game.
Once you find the groove you are ready, no need to hit 20 more just because you can.