Miken USA/ASA bats.

yohann_chadenat

Hi all, i'm new to this forum. Hopefully somebody can help me.
I'm playing in the slowpitch Belgian league which authorizes only USA/ASA bats.
For this season i would like to invest in a Miken bat.
A local re-seller offers :
- Freak Primo Maxload
- Freak Primo Supermax
- Freak Primo Balanced
==> all from 2020
- Rev Ex Maxload 1pc from 2021

I consider those options as i'd like to experiment with a big barrel (so far i've swung Anarchy bats with 12"/12.5" barrels).
I'm more a place hitter (no home run power) and look for an option to swing nice line drives and have bat control.

Amongst the options above i really do not know what to select. Can you guys share some experience wrt performance, durability, break-in time...and any other noticeable difference?

Thanks for your help!

ShortYellowBus

Primo Maxload is going to be the best choice. It’s easy to swing and the sweet spot is easy to find right away. These bats don’t take much work to break them in.

However, the newer stuff is much better. If you can find a Miken Primo Maxload or Worth Mach 1 Cobra Jet XL from 2022-2023, you’ll be a lot happier.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't swung any of those bats but wouldn't conventional wisdom say that as a place hitter looking for control, he should be swinging the balanced?

yohann_chadenat

I haven't swung any of those bats but wouldn't conventional wisdom say that as a place hitter looking for control, he should be swinging the balanced?
Logically you're right. I have Anarchy bats end-loaded with 12"/12.5" barrels (0.5 and 1oz end-load) and there you clearly have the end-load feeling.

But those Mikens come with a 14"barrel, so maybe it somehow "absorbs" the end-load effect with the bigger barrel. I don't know :)

yohann_chadenat

Primo Maxload is going to be the best choice. It’s easy to swing and the sweet spot is easy to find right away. These bats don’t take much work to break them in.

However, the newer stuff is much better. If you can find a Miken Primo Maxload or Worth Mach 1 Cobra Jet XL from 2022-2023, you’ll be a lot happier.
Thanks. I wish it could be possible to be honest.... unfortunately in Europe to find good slowpitch bats, it's a misery. There are a handful of dealers with very limited choice & options...and buying from the US is complicated. To get them to Europe you sometimes have to pay as much in shipping & import duties than the purchase value of the bat. I watch closely amazon as you get good deals, but it's once in a blue moon...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Avoid the Revex at all costs.

That is not a good bat.

I kinda agree, but if I was looking for a Miken ASA bat that would work in cold weather or on .44 375 balls I'd choose the Revex.

All their other bats are tailored for .52 300s and aren't overly durable.

The Revex is like the Easton Ronin. Hugely durable, great in cold weather, but not a great performer.

yohann_chadenat

I kinda agree, but if I was looking for a Miken ASA bat that would work in cold weather or on .44 375 balls I'd choose the Revex.

All their other bats are tailored for .52 300s and aren't overly durable.

The Revex is like the Easton Ronin. Hugely durable, great in cold weather, but not a great performer.
Outside this topic, but if you want a great performer in cold weather and with top durability, you shall try the DeMarini Corndog.
I find it the ideal practice bat.

defos

A young guy who subbed for my team a few times last year had a balanced Primo. He's not a big guy by any means, but one of the best athletes I've been around. He hit 2 HRs the 1st game he played with us. The bat sounded like it shattered every time he dropped it. When I asked how long he'd had it, he said 2 seasons, but then said he'd bought it in the spring and it was a team bat in the early season. This was in late June or early July. I didn't see him using it in September and October.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
A young guy who subbed for my team a few times last year had a balanced Primo. He's not a big guy by any means, but one of the best athletes I've been around. He hit 2 HRs the 1st game he played with us. The bat sounded like it shattered every time he dropped it. When I asked how long he'd had it, he said 2 seasons, but then said he'd bought it in the spring and it was a team bat in the early season. This was in late June or early July. I didn't see him using it in September and October.

Miken/Worth's newer ASA bats have that horrible, broken sound to them. I think it's some sort of double barrel technology specifically made for .52 300 balls. The bats all sound atrocious, but perform pretty well. You just can't hit harder balls with them or they break right away.

yohann_chadenat

Ok finally i had to change my plan. Managed to get a Freak Kyle Pearson ASA 2023. Of course not the initial idea as it's a 12" barrel and 0.5oz endload i believe. Even over my usual swing weight (28 oz), but ok...at 100$ new and still in the wrapper, was kind of an opportunity i could not refuse.
Does anybody have any experience with this one??

Kaveman

Trend Setter
Ok finally i had to change my plan. Managed to get a Freak Kyle Pearson ASA 2023. Of course not the initial idea as it's a 12" barrel and 0.5oz endload i believe. Even over my usual swing weight (28 oz), but ok...at 100$ new and still in the wrapper, was kind of an opportunity i could not refuse.
Does anybody have any experience with this one??
I have a KP 23 USA bat and love it.

ShortYellowBus

The 28oz KP23 is a great option for contact hitters and because it’s heavier (the added weight goes to the handle) it’s usually a more balanced option. The 12” barrel creates less aerodynamic drag and more swing speed.

I highly recommend going out and getting some quality BP swings before using it in a game.

Good purchase overall!

yohann_chadenat

The 28oz KP23 is a great option for contact hitters and because it’s heavier (the added weight goes to the handle) it’s usually a more balanced option. The 12” barrel creates less aerodynamic drag and more swing speed.

I highly recommend going out and getting some quality BP swings before using it in a game.

Good purchase overall!
I had the opportunity to test it the 1st time this weekend for 25 swings with near-to live pitching (Blue Flame Pitching machine set up for slowpitch).

I fully recognize all your feedbacks!
I had also my 26oz Anarchy Rebellion (1oz end load) as benchmark and the weight difference was unnoticeable to be honest.
As you said, greater swing comfort with the KP as it really felt balanced overall.
And i must say the performance is pretty amazing. In my team we have been (over) using a Monsta M2 for games as this one was simple to swing with great result. I must say this one is totally outcompetitioned by the KP. I only took contact swings and had the feeling i was batting bouncy/super balls. I just can hope this one is durable because as of now it is by far the best bat i've ever swung.

Do you have an idea if it takes long to break those in?

AntonTic

Hard cores are ruining USSSA softball" - Are hard core players truly ruining the sport of USSSA softball, or are they just pushing the boundaries of what is possible on the field? Is there a way to balance competition and sportsmanship in the game?