Mooch

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd been seeing less and less of it, and hearing more pitchers say they'd rather throw their pitch well than try and have and maybe miss their spot.

blakcherry329

I like it when slow-pitch pitchers talk about pitching inside when there's usually no batter's box to speak of. lol
That team didn't put up much of a fight. How do you boot the ball like that on turf???
I didn't see him do too much on the mound, they just weren't hitting and Mooch's team made plays.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Mooch’s defense made like 3-4 amazing plays cause he plays with those young gun Amish boys that absolutely ball out every weekend. Also playing on red Easton, scores are super low regardless. You can say, yeah but roofx scored 20. Sure they did but they literally did nothing but hit infield gaps and a ton of errors by cheap suites infield. Anomaly game but congrats to one of the best to ever do it, mooch.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
All I have to contribute to this thread is that back in like 2011 Matt Stairs came with his team to Diamond Nation in NJ. They played against Mooch's pick-up team full of major and A players. Mooch got Stairs to roll over on a ball in his first ab. In his second ab, Mooch was juking and jiving, and Stairs hit a ball that still hasn't landed..

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I too had a
All I have to contribute to this thread is that back in like 2011 Matt Stairs came with his team to Diamond Nation in NJ. They played against Mooch's pick-up team full of major and A players. Mooch got Stairs to roll over on a ball in his first ab. In his second ab, Mooch was juking and jiving, and Stairs hit a ball that still hasn't landed..
Very similar experience pitching to Stairs. Class guy too, bc after he made the out his first AB, his 2nd time up I allowed a ball to float out over the plate way too far and he took it instead of killing me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That pumping took out the two step, and nothing else imo. You can occasionally get someone off balance your first time, but it only effects lower players after that. The guys that do all this elaborate faking, and then still come set in a different way giving away that this will be the pitch, to throw a strike crack me up.

DirtBag215

That pumping took out the two step, and nothing else imo. You can occasionally get someone off balance your first time, but it only effects lower players after that. The guys that do all this elaborate faking, and then still come set in a different way giving away that this will be the pitch, to throw a strike crack me up.
The energizer bunny pump fake for 3 seconds, then stop completely and pitch. It’s a classic. I agree with you! It’s more so a nuisance at that point. Just pitch the damn ball!

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Very similar experience pitching to Stairs. Class guy too, bc after he made the out his first AB, his 2nd time up I allowed a ball to float out over the plate way too far and he took it instead of killing me.
I was playing with a terrible pick-up team about 10 years ago. Their pitcher was awful so I came in to pitch. I'm sure you remember Wayne McGee... (and his bats) Anyway, I left one on the outer third and he could have murdered me but he held his swing. I said thanks, put the next pitch right on his hip, and he hit it about 500'

They were gonna mercy us and everyone on the field knew it. I think that's what saved me.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Mooch is one of the top three pitchers in the game and has the best rules knowledge of any player I've ever come across. In games where I've had him, he's tested every limit there is, but accepts what I will and won't give him. As much as his antics can grate on people, especially umpires, he really is one of the pitchers I like to see out there.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing with a terrible pick-up team about 10 years ago. Their pitcher was awful so I came in to pitch. I'm sure you remember Wayne McGee... (and his bats) Anyway, I left one on the outer third and he could have murdered me but he held his swing. I said thanks, put the next pitch right on his hip, and he hit it about 500'

They were gonna mercy us and everyone on the field knew it. I think that's what saved me.
I was probably on this team. Maybe even pitching against you.

Also had Stairs hit one about 450 feet off me that day in Flemington.

blakcherry329

I may have been there that day, too. I didn't play against him, but I heard he was there.
I miss those tournament days.

DirtBag215

If you’re talking about the perfect game, yes. It’s on YouTube under usssalive’s page. This Matt stairs game in Jersey? Idk but if so, I wanna see it too lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mooch is one of the top three pitchers in the game and has the best rules knowledge of any player I've ever come across. In games where I've had him, he's tested every limit there is, but accepts what I will and won't give him. As much as his antics can grate on people, especially umpires, he really is one of the pitchers I like to see out there.
I used to have a really good knowledge of the rules, but it just pissed me off so I stopped caring. I might miss the benefits of a call or two a year, but compared to the anger I used to have over stupid rules or the times I'd know the rule and be right and it still wouldn't change the call I just decided to cut my losses and play.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I too had a Very similar experience pitching to Stairs. Class guy too,
I just remembered now that on one of my many trips to Toronto to watch the Yankees play the Blue Jays, Stairs was really cool to us and some other folks. We had a hotel room in the stadium overlooking LF. He was coaching with the Jays at the time. After an early afternoon practice (7:00pm game) Stairs hung out and hit fungos to us and some kids in a few adjacent rooms. I'm talking hitting the ball about 100' straight up. My brother dropped a can of Molson XXX to him out the window onto the bullpen netting.