Stang's running thread

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm sure nobody cares but this thread is to show my training for a race in October. Keeping this updated might help me stay motivated and maybe help others to get motivated too.

Quick bullet points:
• I used to be an avid runner but life and injuries have gotten in the way the last decade.
• The main objective is to finish the LBI 18 mile run in October.
• I'm attempting to build up roughly half a mile per week until race time.
• I'm not an expert in this and welcome advice but can also give some.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I ran the 18 mile race once when I was 32 years old in 2014. A decade and 20lbs later I would like to not just finish, but beat my last time. I would love to finish in under 2:30:00.

In 2014 I completed the race in 2:41:28. I was new to competing and started out way too fast. I wanted to run miles 1 and 2 around 8:30 but adrenaline got to me and I went out at 7:37 and 7:57 respectively. My first 3 miles were a total of 1:30 faster than I wanted. That mistake caught up to me at mile 15 where I hit a wall and my average pace for the last 3 miles was around 10:20.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you Mike and good luck. But where's all that running getting you?
🤷‍♂️ 👨‍🦼🤪
I usually wind up back where I started.

If you've ever heard of "runner's high," that's a real thing. Stress relief, lose a few pounds, Set goals and accomplish them, etc...

And it's cheaper than golf.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Ran 5 miles today at 9:21 pace. My lungs felt great, my legs felt awful. Thinking I may start doing more speed work rather than adding milage until my legs are ready for distance.

Knollie

Ran 5 miles today at 9:21 pace. My lungs felt great, my legs felt awful. Thinking I may start doing more speed work rather than adding milage until my legs are ready for distance.
Brand new here, but have been a track coach for about 20 years. Nit distance mind you, but been around a few that were good enough that I tried to learn a little bit.

I would agree with adding more speed/tempo stuff into the mix, that will be the fastest way to drop your avg mile pace. I'd recommend 2 days/wk. The other days(personally I would space 2 rest days/wk) you can focus on mileage. Keep the tempo training in all the way up to the race otherwise you will lose the effects of it.

The speed/tempo days should be pretty tough and kick your butt, resist the urge to take the days after them off. Use this day for longer mileage, don't worry about pace, just put in the mileage at what feels like a moderately comfortable pace.

Days before tempo days run shorter mileage at a moderate/fast pace. 2-3 miles to start with.

I would also say resist the temptation to "test" your race readiness by pushing the distance as your training progresses. With the exception of making your mileage days increase as your ability increases, but not pushing past 10 once a week. 1 time, race in oct so probably around late July early August find a 1/2 marathon race and go after it to test where you're at.

Again, I'm a sprint/hurdle coach so take anything I say with a grain of salt. The biggest thing to take into account is how your body feels. I'm roughly the same age as you and I still get after it on the track and softball diamond, but I need to be even more aware of getting a proper warmup before ANY training. A short 10 minute dynamic warmup before doing any training will help keep injuries away.

Good luck with the training and keep us all posted