strained quad(pulled)

Well I suffered my first muscle injury last night, the dreaded strained quad. Any tips on proper recovery practices.
So far I iced it after game, wrapped, elevated and iced it until I went to bed. Woke up and rewrapped it and plan on icing when I get off work. Also took ibprofen last nite and plan on taking aspirin before next weeks game.

When should I start stretching? Heat pack before game? Etc.

Thank you for your time,

INJURIES SUCK!

lx_2nv

Coach
Honestly I think it's going to take time. I have a pulled quad that has never fully recovered...and what do I do? Play every week and wince in pain running. It's going to take several weeks, if not months to heal. But for me - I put a thick compression sleeve on it and rubbed some icy hot on it before i play. Just watch your mcnuggets putting icy hot on down there...some will rub them and thats a tingling feeling.

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
Depending on how old you are, this could take a while to heal. I've never pulled a quad, but I've strained one and it sucks. Pulled my groin last year in June, and it still hasn't fully recovered (I'm 38). While I can see the value in finding out what other guys have done that has worked, you really need to get your doc's advice and follow that. If you don't take care of a pulled quad, it will be a long time before it heals. Playing on it next week probably isn't the wisest idea. At the very least, take a few weeks off...or EH only and get a runner everytime you get on base.

IMD28

The Veteran
I used to have a lot of problems with my quad. I would pull it near the beginning of the ball season and never give it a rest all summer. Come fall it would still hurt. I was always told the best thing for it was rest....not playing ball. I never listened. I then retired from ball for a number of years and it finally healed up. I make sure to stretch a lot before games to try to avoid the problem because once it goes it's too late to bother with stretches.

But I'm no doctor so just keeping playing and enjoy the burn.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
rest, rest, and more rest. or you can be a dumbass and keep playing on it, only making it worse, your choice

zuke 37

Star Player
try this: lay face down on the floor, with your hurt leg bent push the floor down with your knee. (you will say oowll)
do this for 5 days and the rest the 6th. REST: don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lay down.
for the hammys, run backwards for 5 days and rest the 6th. when you warm up before the future games for the quads
run with your hands behind your ass and kick them with your heels. for the hammys run backwards for warm ups
try these they may help. good luck

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation. Throw in some KT tape to look cool, plenty of massage with a happy ending, and you will be good to go in 30 days.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Don't play til it's healed, problem solved. Other than that ice, elevation and Advil are just going to keep the swelling and pain down. None of them are going to keep it from getting reinjured. If it's bad enough to post on Sbf you probably need to take time to let it hear or see a doctor.

s.paternostro

Star Player
Rest, and massage it for about a week putting no strain on that quad, no running, stretching or anything like that (the older you are the more time you need to let it heal with no strain). Then you can start stretching it gingerly after about a week or more of healing. The muscle will tell you when it's had enough stretching! In the future you have to make sure you stretch that particular quad very good, or you'll be right back where you started!

biggm28

Manager
I deal with this bud, so I feel your pain.
Heat that thing up before you play with a heating pad.
LIGHT stretching, it will feel good when you do stretch, but not for long.
Compression around it at all times unless you are sleeping.
Ice after the game.
And most important, dont go hard! if you can use a runner, take advantage of it. Dont expect it to heal during ball season if your playing.

Good luck, its a real PITA!

I played through mine last year. It took probably a full month to heal playing through it, and running was like fire just above the knee. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but I am stubborn and don't like to let injuries slow me down (I once finished out a double header with a broken thumb on my throwing hand).

bcn31

Star Player
Nothing will beat resting it but ice for new injuries and then use heat after a few days for muscle strains until it gets better. That is what the doc says everytime I go get refills on my meds. lol

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
Depending on how old you are, this could take a while to heal. I've never pulled a quad, but I've strained one and it sucks. Pulled my groin last year in June, and it still hasn't fully recovered (I'm 38). While I can see the value in finding out what other guys have done that has worked, you really need to get your doc's advice and follow that. If you don't take care of a pulled quad, it will be a long time before it heals. Playing on it next week probably isn't the wisest idea. At the very least, take a few weeks off...or EH only and get a runner everytime you get on base.

WHY do people do this? :wtf: :confused: You do realize these are the same thing, right?

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't stretch till it's healed. You will make it worse if you do.

This is sound advice here. Everyone wants to stretch muscle pulls immediately, but you need to let the muscle heal or you will make it worse. Rest and ice at first then rest and heat. I pulled my quad at the end of the season last year. I tried to play in a tourney 2 weeks after injuring it and I could barely run. It has fully healed now. So far so good this season.