weightlifting during season

bigcat33

Addicted to Softballfans
I know most of us workout during the winter but how about during the season?during the winter i went to a very heavy weight lifting workout and seem to have gotten stronger but bulkier too. my problem is i cant seem to get loose or my arms real extended while swinging. Do most guys still lift during the season and go to lighter weights or keep doing the same routine as in the winter?Ive stretched and stretched but still feel very tight

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
I go heavy during the season, but I believe all the surfing I do keeps me loose! Grew up training with Martial Arts, thus my flexiability has always been good! Continue to stretch prior n post workouts....remember if you were always a little stiff lifting heavy will cause this. Continue being fit for life! Aloha, Fabe

leftyodoul

Addicted to Softballfans
Lifting

Weightlifting for seniors is not nearly as important as regular cardio and stretching.
At most, I do light lifting/high reps and lots of work with bands (tubing).

WhalinBallz

Addicted to Softballfans
Weightlifting for seniors is not nearly as important as regular cardio and stretching.

this dude knows whats up! strength trumps power for flexiblity and mobility

strength

Extra Hitter
i play 3 times a week. I don't train as heavy as I do in the off season, however I make sure I still push myself and stuck to the compound movements, squeat, deadlikfts, and flast bench. I do a remendous amount of running during my games, which means I onlyu do one day a week of elyptical. I also stretch profusely.

Of course I always get my workouts in before work in the morning. It's summer time, /I don't have the time that I had in the winter. When I get home from work, I am either doing the family things or cleaning some aspect of the yard. Always lots of projects going on. Gotta keep things intro perspective.

Wheels33

Coach
I just ask this question last month. From the advice I got. Low reps, heavy weights. I already gained 10 lbs of muscle. 20 more lbs to go! Right now I am only doing the basics. (ex. Bench press , squats, dead lifts, ect) But I have to do yoga everyday to stay loose! Also to take care of my body, so I don't tear something, and stay injury free. Calculate how much protein you need and calories to keep your body recovering fast. Search my thread for much more info. Peeps are prob tired repeating this answering this questions.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I know most of us workout during the winter but how about during the season?during the winter i went to a very heavy weight lifting workout and seem to have gotten stronger but bulkier too. my problem is i cant seem to get loose or my arms real extended while swinging. Do most guys still lift during the season and go to lighter weights or keep doing the same routine as in the winter?Ive stretched and stretched but still feel very tight

From the sounds of it you're doing the wrong type of lifting.

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans

I'm not trying to be a jerk but this ^^^^ is completely incorrect. No one area of fitness is more important than another. Age is irrelevant. One might be able to run 10 miles a day and be very flexible but if they are very weak then their performance in sports or in life in general will suffer. Emphasis should be given to your "weaker" areas. That might be strength or flexibility or cardiovascular. "Emphasis" but not more important.

this dude knows whats up! strength trumps power for flexiblity and mobility
Sorry but this ^^^^ doesn't even make sense. Maybe I'm misreading it.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Foam rolling and dynamic stretching should be incorporated into any resistance program, regardless of on/off season.

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with wheels33. What I noticed was that leg strength goes away fast as I get older. That's where most of your power should come from any way.
And don't disregard the yoga, try it you'll be surprised how well it keeps injuries away.

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
My lifting program doesn't change throught the year, I lift as often as possible but handle injuries w/ care, if a body part is hurt I let it rest and heal. Lifting is a must as you age to maintain bone mass, so is diet and supplementing. Sure, there are numerous theories and principles about what works best, you have to do your research and see what works for you. Having sais that, do your cardio, lifting and stretching, etc. Limit the amount of read meat you consume, cut out all sodas, candy, ice cream, fried foods, etc. You'll feel better and get stronger.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I agree with wheels33. What I noticed was that leg strength goes away fast as I get older. That's where most of your power should come from any way.
And don't disregard the yoga, try it you'll be surprised how well it keeps injuries away.

To be precise most your power comes from your glutes. Guys think "train legs" and mostly concentrate on the quads. You gotta hammer the glutes and hamstrings and I don't mean leg curls. It's no coincidence that Connell has dead lifted 600 lbs. and Helmer over 700 lbs and both hit them as far as anyone.

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans
To be precise most your power comes from your glutes. Guys think "train legs" and mostly concentrate on the quads. You gotta hammer the glutes and hamstrings and I don't mean leg curls. It's no coincidence that Connell has dead lifted 600 lbs. and Helmer over 700 lbs and both hit them as far as anyone.

Dead lifts? We don't need no stinking dead lifts. :D
Probably the most over looked lift by the casual athlete for performance enhancement.