Work the Count or Swing For a Hit?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Late in the game, behind 2 runs...

1) Work the pitch count to try for a walk rather than swing at 1st strike.

2) Look for 1st good pitch that you can whack for a hit of any kind.

Disregard a pitcher wildly throwing balls or having trouble finding the strike zone. This scenario almost always begs you to work the count because it will likely produce a walk.

Also disregard a pitcher that is precise & always can throw a strike for a K. This scenario almost always guarantees you will strike out if you take too many close pitches.

So, average league pitcher (for your level of play) that throws average mix of balls & strikes...
What is your attitude ( Choice 1 or 2 ) when you step into the batter's box?

(Neither answer is always right - Just express your personal approach)

%%%

DirtBag215

I’m aggressive at the plate. I’m looking for a strike to swing at. I never go into the box expecting a walk. If I don’t get any strikes, oh well, I’ll take the walk.

Edit: if a pitcher just walked a batter to load the bases or walk in a run, I am 100% stepping into the box looking to walk. It’s such a demoralizing thing to a pitcher to walk in a run and if that’s what I need to do to win a tourney, I’m doing it. Now league ball….. I’m swinging outta my socks on a 15ft high ball, 2 feet off of the plate.

Last edited:

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I always go to the plate with a plan. I'm looking for a specific pitch to hit to a specific spot on the field every time. If the pitcher throws a ball for strike 2 but it's not the pitch I'm looking for, I'll take the pitch. With 2 strikes I simplify it and look to drive anything close. Inside pitches go through the 5/6 hole, anything middle-out goes over the middle.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Haven't played in bout a yr n a half,but when I played on teams that would actually compete I was always situational and approached at bats for the team. Last several yrs that I did play teams were so bad and inundated with young guys that didn't understand team concepts/hitting, and in senior league with15-16+ batting I was always getting my swings, good bad or whatever. Not driving to the park to take walks and potentially get one or two a bats per game

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm looking to get on base. If that first pitch is a cookie I'm going after it. WAY better to swing at a good first pitch than ending up having to chase some crappier 2 strike pitch.

Walking has its place, but no GOOD hitter should stroll to plate with a walk in mind. If a pitcher ends up walking you, fine. However, don't go begging for one.

BTW, I'm also sick of guys who lead off an inning with a solo HR when the team is down multiple runs... especially that HR is the team's last one. I see it all the time. Guy acts like a hero.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm looking to get on base. If that first pitch is a cookie I'm going after it. WAY better to swing at a good first pitch than ending up having to chase some crappier 2 strike pitch.

Walking has its place, but no GOOD hitter should stroll to plate with a walk in mind. If a pitcher ends up walking you, fine. However, don't go begging for one.

BTW, I'm also sick of guys who lead off an inning with a solo HR when the team is down multiple runs... especially that HR is the team's last one. I see it all the time. Guy acts like a hero.
You should see the guys in E. One dude I've known for a long time is a good ball player. Great bat and excellent pitcher. Never plays above E bc his ego and attitude won't let him. He hit 3 inning ending HRs in the same game 2 weeks ago and tried to play it off like they weren't his fault. As though they were line drives but he is just too powerful.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
This concept is extremely hard for some people to understand or embrace. So often, I see guys taking pitches right down the middle (1-1 becomes 1-2), then they are desperate to get a decent pitch to hit... A good pitcher will keep any strike to that guy as ugly as the umpire will allow - but most often will give them an inside pitch to hit foul for an out.

%%%

jhitman

I really hate to walk. The first good pitch I see I try to smash it. Also, I saw this in our games a lot yesterday. The batter gets too anxious at the plate. This causes them to lunge or chase ahead and hit with just arms. This a fatal flaw for hitting with power. Wait on the pitch to come to you....once it gets into the hitting zone about 1/2 to the plate that's your signal to go.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
You should see the guys in E. One dude I've known for a long time is a good ball player. Great bat and excellent pitcher. Never plays above E bc his ego and attitude won't let him. He hit 3 inning ending HRs in the same game 2 weeks ago and tried to play it off like they weren't his fault. As though they were line drives but he is just too powerful.

Pssst, he's not a good ball player.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I always go to the plate with a plan. I'm looking for a specific pitch to hit to a specific spot on the field every time. If the pitcher throws a ball for strike 2 but it's not the pitch I'm looking for, I'll take the pitch. With 2 strikes I simplify it and look to drive anything close. Inside pitches go through the 5/6 hole, anything middle-out goes over the middle.

^^^ This, option #3.

Ex: If I see a big gap in RC, I'm looking for an outside shoulder-high pitch to drive that way. I'm ready to swing at that pitch if it's the first one. If I don't get it on the first pitch, then I'm taking the strike and falling back to a 2 strike approach.

The only time I'm looking for a walk is in a tournament when the pitcher is obviously struggling. If he's throwing 50/50 balls and strikes, I'm taking an aggressive approach. And if it's a fun/charity tournament or league night I'm only taking the walk if all the pitches are terrible.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

Obviously anyone who can clear the fence 3 times in 1 game shouldn't be playing E. You'd think that would be his cue to move up, but apparently he's too stupid to do so.

Sandbagging is one of the things ruining slowpitch. You get guys who are obviously talented, but won't ever move up. They want to hang out in E and smash all the new teams of young guys who are just starting out. Those new teams get frustrated and quit tourny ball because of it.

I also see that stuff a lot. Guy hits a 450' nuke over the lights for a DBO and claims it was an accident.

DirtBag215

Obviously anyone who can clear the fence 3 times in 1 game shouldn't be playing E. You'd think that would be his cue to move up, but apparently he's too stupid to do so.

Sandbagging is one of the things ruining slowpitch. You get guys who are obviously talented, but won't ever move up. They want to hang out in E and smash all the new teams of young guys who are just starting out. Those new teams get frustrated and quit tourny ball because of it.

I also see that stuff a lot. Guy hits a 450' nuke over the lights for a DBO and claims it was an accident.
Directors are also to blame for that too. Morally, yeah I don’t wanna play down and beat up on new teams. But not everybody has morals. The directors have to do better at policing it.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

I've got to know who this is????

basilray

I'm always looking to swing, even at something questionable, which is most of what I swing at.

That being said, I tend to become a little more conservative in tournament play. I'll take a walk if you're not going to give me anything that I can swing at, make my trot to 1B and then let some young stud run for me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swing at the first pitch this past weekend because the lf line was wide open. I almost never do that, and I think I was 1 for 2. I take till I get a strike. Not necessarily looking for a walk, but watching the pitcher and making sure he throws as many pitches as possible. I also think simplifying, like someone says earlier, keeps me from trying to do too much. I always hit better with no courtesy foul, and I assume that's why.

I also bat last, so it's almost as demoralizing to the pitcher when they walk me to get to the top as if they'd walked a run in. I also want to see if they're a cookie then do too much guy. They think if they get ahead they can easily throw a strike if I don't swing at faking junk balls, but so many can't after two straight balls.

I'm there to get on base, and if I piss the pitcher off while doing it that's just gravy.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sand bagging is crap, and unless the associations work together it will only get worse. The equipment has only made it worse. The gap between how easy offense and defense are is the indicator.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got to know who this is????
Derek Davis. He played with us in that Diamond Nation tournament in like 2012. The one where we were up 22-3 in the third inning and got mercied in the 5th inning. I think he was playing 3b that day.

I saw him on Saturday and asked him about his 3 HROs and he said: "ooopsie. I do that a lot. My (Juno bat I can't remember) is too hot right now."

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Real question is who wants to sell some Asa 27-28oz to help bump my numbers up lol

Depending on where you live I have 1 of each I might be willing to part with since I don't really play ASA. 27oz Monsta something or other with about 5 swings on it, may still have the wrapper on it. 28oz Worth Mach (neon green one) with about 75-100 swings.

Shipping cost is always an issue and I'm not jumping through the hoops for Canadian shipping. I'm in NJ.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Derek Davis. He played with us in that Diamond Nation tournament in like 2012. The one where we were up 22-3 in the third inning and got mercied in the 5th inning. I think he was playing 3b that day.

I saw him on Saturday and asked him about his 3 HROs and he said: "ooopsie. I do that a lot. My (Juno bat I can't remember) is too hot right now."

Yeah I know who he is. If he played D, then he wouldn't be able to play mixed E tho 🙀

rhino54

Depending on where you live I have 1 of each I might be willing to part with since I don't really play ASA. 27oz Monsta something or other with about 5 swings on it, may still have the wrapper on it. 28oz Worth Mach (neon green one) with about 75-100 swings.

Shipping cost is always an issue and I'm not jumping through the hoops for Canadian shipping. I'm in NJ.
I’m in Texas. I could cover shipping if we decide on a deal

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

Idiot. When/if we're out of HRs I'll purposely bring a deader bat to the plate. No sense bringing a light saber when you have to keep it in the yard.

blakcherry329

Is this just slow pitch or fast pitch, also? In fast pitch you have unlimited fouls so you damn well better get a hit if you're first pitch swinging when we're down runs.
Coming from fast pitch, I was always looking to work the count and unload 2-0, 3-1, etc. You know, "walks as good as a hit". I still brought that mentality to slow pitch. I just don't like swinging at the first pitch.
It also depends on the hitter. I don't mind hitting with 2 strikes. Some hitters get shaken with 2 strikes.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
What is your attitude when you step into the batter's box?

Thanks for the replies...

I hate having two strikes on me - I always look for the 1st pitch that is a clean strike (Choice#1) and try to make that pitch work for whatever direction I want to hit. Of course, I'll skip any pitch that is crazy outside the zone. But, if it's close to the zone, especially in the direction I want to go, I'll be looking to put the bat on that pitch, rather than relying on the ump to make the call.

There's no right choice (1 or 2) and it really bothers me when a coach/mgr tries to force his players to strictly follow either preference. Each player has to know which approach works better for them.

%%%
Play the percentages to win.

SHR4PNOEL

If i don't see a pitch that i can get further than 2 on I'm taking walks all day. Why waste energy to get to a base i most likely will be at regardless. Also gives my team baserunners.

OG_WhenPigsFly

All Pigs Run
I’ll take the walk if the “bad” pitches are opposite of what I’m looking for but if I’m thinking oppo and get something outside, I’ll swing. Otherwise I’m not above walking, i only play league now a days but my teams are in the upper divisions so it gets fairly competitive, I’ll take the free pass to 1st

defos

Way back when I started playing and we got 4 balls, 3 strikes and no foul-outs, I was patient and took walks. When I moved to a 35+ league, one of the pitchers we faced would put the 1st pitch right down the middle. That was the only pitch you'd want to swing at. Everything after that was pretty much unhittable, even the strikes. I started swinging more at the 1st pitch after that. Since a foul with 2 strikes became an out, I've been swinging at the 1st pitch most of the time. I hate passing up a good pitch and then having to swing at a pitch I don't like - and keep it fair.