Teammates using my bat(s)?

gopher wes

The Rookie
Anyone have issues with teammates using you bats? I have 3 bats that I have paid for on my own or bought with my brother which we then share. I don't mind sharing it sometimes when its a good buddy of mine on the team and he asks to use my bat. It pisses me off when guys just grab my bat and assume it is ok to use it. I didn't buy a $200+ bat and spend time taking BP to break it in so your freeloading ass could just show up and use it. I have a problem with that considering the amount you pay for bats and the limited number of good swings some of the bats have in them.

Any idea how to keep this from happening? I mean, I have put my bat away between at-bats sometimes but it can be hassle(and sometimes it isn't possible when I am a base coach or on-base after a hit). I have asked guys not to use my bats before and they look at me like I just told them I was going to **** their mom. I don't get it.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would you not want to let your teamates use the very best tool available, meaning the best broken in bat??? You are still a team, right.

On the other side I know how it feels to have your 300 dollar bat destroyed by a teamated who throws the bat at the dugout after striking out. After that incident, I have one bat that is game ready with a rcpt. Everyone is welcome to that bat. My gamer stays in the bag and no one uses it.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
if they are on the fence, they are free game. otherwise, I keep it in my bag.

Jared717

<font color="Red">Addicted to Softballfans</font>
Get the stickers that say you swing it you break it you buy it. Or Not a team bat. And such so if it does bust I would hold them accountable. Thats how I feel about it. I understand if they cant afford it but what does make me mad is when I see them smoking, drinking, and partying and they say they don't have the money. That does piss me off. I swing a SCN15 thats a 28oz and no one really swings it b/c its either to heavy for them or they don't think eastons are good bats. I was at a tourney where some of the guys on my team were using my bat, and i was talking to a friend and when they got close enough to me I told my buddy, "yea I don't care if they go up to the plate with my bat I will take it out of their hands" :D well they haven't touched it since lol. I mean you can get everyone on your league team to pitch in 10 bucks or so and get a 27oz team bat for everyone.

But yea have the buddy system. Get another guy on your team to pick it up when you swing and put it in your bag and do the same for them. B/C if its sitting out it seems people assume its there for them to swing.

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
i overlap , so I shortened the grip on all my bats, people won't use them now since they box grip they don't fit.

christianman316

blaine's dad
All of my bats are available to any of my teammates, they are on my team and if I didn't want them on my team...they wouldn't be. I understand your gripe, but unfortunately you are the one looking like the DB if you call people out for using your bat, etc. If you leave it out on the fence during the game...just like Saint said. Its Fair Game!

LSU_MJL

WHO DAT!!!
Get the stickers that say you swing it you break it you buy it. Or Not a team bat. And such so if it does bust I would hold them accountable. Thats how I feel about it. I understand if they cant afford it but what does make me mad is when I see them smoking, drinking, and partying and they say they don't have the money. That does piss me off. I swing a SCN15 thats a 28oz and no one really swings it b/c its either to heavy for them or they don't think eastons are good bats. I was at a tourney where some of the guys on my team were using my bat, and i was talking to a friend and when they got close enough to me I told my buddy, "yea I don't care if they go up to the plate with my bat I will take it out of their hands" :D well they haven't touched it since lol. I mean you can get everyone on your league team to pitch in 10 bucks or so and get a 27oz team bat for everyone.
But yea have the buddy system. Get another guy on your team to pick it up when you swing and put it in your bag and do the same for them. B/C if its sitting out it seems people assume its there for them to swing.

No, you can't. Trust me :mad:

Luckily I swing Combat and my team swings Worth. They use all of our pitcher's stuff.

I don't usually mind if they use my stuff so long as they ask before they do. Not everytime, just once at the beginning of the season "Hey...is it cool if I use your bat?" I've only said no once b/c I had a gamer and brought something else for the rest of the team.

Seems to me most teams have one or two gusy with all the stuff with a guy or two here and there that might have a bat.

gopher wes

The Rookie
Please do not make me out to be a d-bag. It should not be expected that my $200+ investment, along with said break-in BP time, is fair game for anyone to use. It bugs me when, like Jared said, guys "can't afford bats" and yet they smoke like a chimney in the dugout and go out and drink like fish after every game. I didn't mean to start such a hot topic here, I just thought someone might share the same opinion as me here. I don't show up and expect to use someone else's bat and I don't unless I am told by that player that it is ok to do so.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
I always tell myself that this is my gamer and i dont want my team swinging it. I just can never bring myself to tell people not to use it.

kruky

Manager
Bought a Easton SSR4 last week and told the guys on my team not to use it until I say so, I want the bat to be properly broken in first. Some guys said "Well I say we should use it, afterall, we are a team". I said "yeah, we are a team, thats why we buy team bats". Anyhow, even though I mentionned it to them, one guy took it upon himself to try it out after I had my turn. Then the next guy picks it up and throws it 20 feet into the cat litter field. Now I have some nice scratches on it and it's not even a week old.

Later I ask them if they wanted to have a BP, one guy said "I won't go because I'll have to use the old bats". This guy use to purchase bats for us until last year when I got sick and tired of what he was buying and I'd be buying bats from now on. I told him that it's not true he will have to use the old bats, That we have a Easton Reflex bought last year with less then 50 hits, we also have a Easton Cyclone that was bought last year with less then 10 hits. That we have a Worth Prodigy that was bought 3 years ago but as less then 50 hits. I also mentionned that I could go buy a Easton Hammer for 15$, that way he will be able to swing something new.

That shut him up.

JP667

Addicted to Softballfans
When I find a bat the team is all swinging and like, I offer to sell it to the team. If they dont buy it, I just trade it off or sell it. When they complain about it, I just tell them you should have bought it. LOL Most of them have started using the actual team bat instead of mine. I have yet to find a bat I cant live without so its easy for me to trade them off and try something new. And I have found since I started to swing a 26oz bat less people swing it. I dont have a problem sharing cause our league rule is any player on either team can swing it if its on the fence. So I try to have returnable bats in the bag either way. The rule was put into effect cause of the teams that like to use painted ultras and shaved bats in Rec league.

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
OP: Honestly, get a better team. I've played on work teams where my bats become the team bat and I've played on competitive teams where everybody has invested in their own equipment. If people have their own bats that are broken in, they are usually much more committed to the game and better players. Its not a rule, but on average I've noticed that players with their own bats will be better than freeloaders. I'm also much less concerned when somebody that has their own bat wants to try out the 30oz in my bag.

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans
More people who swing your bat, more hits=hotter it gets. As durable as bats are and they're meant to be broken I don't see what the problem is. But to each his own.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
if they are on the fence, they are free game. otherwise, I keep it in my bag.

I do this too. I hate when Joe schmoe league guy pops out with my bat and flings it back to the dugout/fence. One of my bats that is fair game looks like it has 2000 swings because of this

christianman316

blaine's dad
I do this too. I hate when Joe schmoe league guy pops out with my bat and flings it back to the dugout/fence. One of my bats that is fair game looks like it has 2000 swings because of this

Hitting with another person's bat is one thing, abusing another person's bat is far different. Guys who hit my bats know they are welcome to, but if any of them ever slam my bat down in anger or throw it across the field, etc. I am likely to have a prayer meeting with them fast. If someone is kind enough to let you use anything of theirs(bat, car, glove, etc) I accept full responsibility for anything that may happen to it during that time. If you let me swing your bat and it breaks...I will buy you a replacement no questions asked.

Proboskus

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with OP. I paid for the bat, why should everyone else use it and wear it out that much faster? This summer I played on a team of 18 people (ridiculous). So I'd get one maybe two at bats. Everyone else on my team swung my bat. How is that fair?

LaserArm

Addicted to Softballfans
I have no problem with people using any of my bats. Someone said earlier, it's a team and you want your team to perform better. Also mentioned was getting on a better team usually means people buy their own equipment. I agree with this. Even for league when guys don't have their bat, who cares? One less BP swing closer to being broken in. If I take it out of a bag that I brought, then it's fair to use.

Only thing I don't like is if people try to throw or slam on of my bats. Had a guy do this 2 weeks ago with my mutant. They the bat, almost hit me with it, then it almost hit a fence pole. I told him if he ever throws my bat again I would break his jaw. That's all it took, now he doesn't do that anymore.

rightsideswine

Banned User
Anyone have issues with teammates using you bats? I have 3 bats that I have paid for on my own or bought with my brother which we then share. I don't mind sharing it sometimes when its a good buddy of mine on the team and he asks to use my bat. It pisses me off when guys just grab my bat and assume it is ok to use it. I didn't buy a $200+ bat and spend time taking BP to break it in so your freeloading ass could just show up and use it. I have a problem with that considering the amount you pay for bats and the limited number of good swings some of the bats have in them.

Any idea how to keep this from happening? I mean, I have put my bat away between at-bats sometimes but it can be hassle(and sometimes it isn't possible when I am a base coach or on-base after a hit). I have asked guys not to use my bats before and they look at me like I just told them I was going to **** their mom. I don't get it.

Your teammates hit the ball better than you with your bats don't they?

RalphG427

On the bench
I don't care about the actual swings that are put on it. Most people that will pick up my bats don't have their own and really don't have a big power swing, plus the mush balls we use really aren't a threat...it's just the abuse, a guy will pop out to the 2nd baseman then proceed to throw my bat against the fence, or I love the guy that spits all over his hands first then rubs a ton of dirt into the grip... that's disrepectful and these are the kinds of people that ruin it for everybody. Collecting money for a team bat is a joke, hard enough to get umpire fee's. Everybody "forgets" their wallet in the car or at home magically every week.

flatstick96

Addicted to Softballfans
I actually wish MORE guys on my team would use my bats - instead they go and buy ****ty bats, and then insist on hitting with those bats because "they bought them".