Failed Compression Test Question

CVhookem63

The LD here at my league in East Texas just got a new bat compression tester. He says he got it from USSSA. The league is a hybrid league. They took some rules from USSSA that they liked and some from ASA to basically create their own set of rules. Championship shirts say ASA every year, balls are ASA .52/300, but we use Utrip bats. That's another discussion in its self. They have been having altered bat problems, and I liked the idea of testing bats before this happened.

Tonight was our first game. LD and his assistant come over to the dugout during the first inning and start testing bats. My bat was the last one tested. It is a USSSA Demarini RD28 30oz that I bought NIW about a year and a half ago. I've never done anything to alter the bat. Just BP and game swings, somewhere around 500 total. The bat barely failed on the bottom half of the barrel, failed by quite a bit in the middle of the sweet spot, and barely failed again closer to the end cap. They tried it again, it failed again, so they put red electrical tape around the handle and sprayed the entire end cap red with spray paint. Again, another discussion all in itself. The LD wasn't too concerned, and I was on deck, so we had a quick war of words, but I wasn't able to argue much before they drove off.

I've been using the bat in this league since I have had it, and it seems pretty hot, but not that much hotter than the other utrip bats that we use. The other Utrip bats that were almost new just barely passed the compression test. Is there anything that I can do in this situation or do I just need to suck it up and use another bat? It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's the only 30oz that we have and I yanked the heck out of the 28 I was using afterwards. I keep my bats in the trunk of my car, which here in the heat of Texas summer gets up to 120 degrees in there I am sure, but would that have effected the failed compression test? Just trying to figure out if there is anything I can do about this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
Id say you're screwed in that league, but you're not alone if you've got a legit bat that would/has failed a proper compression test, hence the reasoning behind the whole 2013 stamp debacle that has us fools buying these fragile new bats that "self destruct" when they reach the mysterious fail point

philcasi

Addicted to Softballfans
I really hope they asked you before they spray painted your bat. That's destroying personal property.

five-ohh

Addicted to Softballfans
sounds like he just purchased a bat.. the Hell if anyone is spray painting my property.. u probably cant even return it now bc they painted it..

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
Wel.. You can't use it, but definitely make a stink about the spray paint. And no, the heat in your trunk wouldn't cause it to fail.

CVhookem63

They spray painted the end caps of all 15 or so of our bats without asking any of us. Multiply that by 150 some odd teams in the different leagues and that's quite a few pissed off bat owners. It's like adding insult to injury: your bat failed, now I'm going to paint over your end cap.

blov10

Nortadakota
Caca de toro. If you're new to the game you better get a baseline from your machine. Take NIW bats and get some sort of mendoza from that. Then start testing bats. By taking used bats and testing them without prior testing knowledge that's BS! You do this and take my bat and do anything to it....IJS. I don't care if I play in your league or not next year. That's my stuff and you doing anything to it beyond saying that's a nice bat is unacceptable.

twestman

Addicted to Softballfans
Willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property... otherwise known as Vandalism. That's not okay. You do not forfeit all rights to the ownership of your bat simply because you use it in their softball league. Time to return the favor ;)

ETDave

Old School
The LD here at my league in East Texas just got a new bat compression tester. He says he got it from USSSA. The league is a hybrid league. They took some rules from USSSA that they liked and some from ASA to basically create their own set of rules. Championship shirts say ASA every year, balls are ASA .52/300, but we use Utrip bats. That's another discussion in its self. They have been having altered bat problems, and I liked the idea of testing bats before this happened.

Tonight was our first game. LD and his assistant come over to the dugout during the first inning and start testing bats. My bat was the last one tested. It is a USSSA Demarini RD28 30oz that I bought NIW about a year and a half ago. I've never done anything to alter the bat. Just BP and game swings, somewhere around 500 total. The bat barely failed on the bottom half of the barrel, failed by quite a bit in the middle of the sweet spot, and barely failed again closer to the end cap. They tried it again, it failed again, so they put red electrical tape around the handle and sprayed the entire end cap red with spray paint. Again, another discussion all in itself. The LD wasn't too concerned, and I was on deck, so we had a quick war of words, but I wasn't able to argue much before they drove off.

I've been using the bat in this league since I have had it, and it seems pretty hot, but not that much hotter than the other utrip bats that we use. The other Utrip bats that were almost new just barely passed the compression test. Is there anything that I can do in this situation or do I just need to suck it up and use another bat? It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's the only 30oz that we have and I yanked the heck out of the 28 I was using afterwards. I keep my bats in the trunk of my car, which here in the heat of Texas summer gets up to 120 degrees in there I am sure, but would that have effected the failed compression test? Just trying to figure out if there is anything I can do about this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Longview league I'm guessing?

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
Sux about failing compression but that's actually pretty common for stock RDs. now spray painting your bat? That's a different story! Eff that! They basically gave you a scarlet letter

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!

1) Bat failed...whether barely or horribly doesn't matter...it's deemed unfit for play in that league. If this is an issue either work with the league to change the rules or go play elsewhere, we on SBF cannot change anything.
2) While you say it's not that much hotter than other bats you do admit it's hotter than your other bats.
3) 52/300 balls are supposed to negate the effects of altered bats (partially of course) so it really shouldn't be that much of an issue

Caca de toro. If you're new to the game you better get a baseline from your machine. Take NIW bats and get some sort of mendoza from that. Then start testing bats. By taking used bats and testing them without prior testing knowledge that's BS! You do this and take my bat and do anything to it....IJS. I don't care if I play in your league or not next year. That's my stuff and you doing anything to it beyond saying that's a nice bat is unacceptable.

USSSA Compression testers come with a calibration tool. If the director doesn't know how to use it they are an idiot. I've tested plenty of bats and it's a simple machine that a kid could use.

msc2360

reformed bat huer
not much you can do about it failing.... had a super hot F98 that was legit but failed testing at a WSL event a couple years ago.... As for them spray painting the end... thats no good... definitely would have had a few words with the LD, that is not their property to do with as they please.... if they wanted to tag it and take it up until after the game, fine...but to mark up someone's bat, ngtg.... Think I would be calling his supervisor and letting him know what's going on... cause this guy is going to end up spraying the wrong person's bat and then it will be a whole other can of worms being opened up...

hinzy

}}i{{
When checking in your bat for post season, they've always put a spot of spray paint on the knobs around here on bats that are able to be used..... But nothing on the endcaps

No paint = No use

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
In one of the asa leagues here the LD checks every bat to make sure it's on the Asa approved list. If its allowed he places a small, circular sticker just above the grip on the taper. No sticker no swinging it. I think this is a helluva lot more logical than spray paint

1) Bat failed...whether barely or horribly doesn't matter...it's deemed unfit for play in that league. If this is an issue either work with the league to change the rules or go play elsewhere, we on SBF cannot change anything.
2) While you say it's not that much hotter than other bats you do admit it's hotter than your other bats.
3) 52/300 balls are supposed to negate the effects of altered bats (partially of course) so it really shouldn't be that much of an issue

USSSA Compression testers come with a calibration tool. If the director doesn't know how to use it they are an idiot. I've tested plenty of bats and it's a simple machine that a kid could use.

well this one is.....

Longview league I'm guessing?

yeah sounds like longview.....

not much you can do about it failing.... had a super hot F98 that was legit but failed testing at a WSL event a couple years ago.... As for them spray painting the end... thats no good... definitely would have had a few words with the LD, that is not their property to do with as they please.... if they wanted to tag it and take it up until after the game, fine...but to mark up someone's bat, ngtg.... Think I would be calling his supervisor and letting him know what's going on... cause this guy is going to end up spraying the wrong person's bat and then it will be a whole other can of worms being opened up...

it is the supervisor doing it.......

i have watched this guy do the testing,and he doesn't use the test jig most of the time.

CRHJ1M

Addicted to Softballfans
ODB just wait, come Monday night all of your bats are going to have green spray paint on all the end caps!!

CVhookem63

Yea its Longview :(, CVhookem63 who are you playing with?

Yeah it's Longview. The guy doing the testing has absolute power. Nobody is above him, so it won't do much good arguing it. He's an extremely hard-headed guy to put it nicely. I'm just playing a church league team this season. Open league team didn't make. Guy on the team just bought a Mizuno Blackout Utrip last week. We put maybe 100 swings on it in BP since then. It barely passed and my Juggy OTC was right on the pass side. Seems like they needed to calibrate that machine, but he'll never admit he was wrong if that is the case. Guess I'll just start swinging the OTC and think about trading the RD for a 30oz I can use. Sucks though, because that bat was in its prime.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah it's Longview. The guy doing the testing has absolute power. Nobody is above him, so it won't do much good arguing it. He's an extremely hard-headed guy to put it nicely. I'm just playing a church league team this season. Open league team didn't make. Guy on the team just bought a Mizuno Blackout Utrip last week. We put maybe 100 swings on it in BP since then. It barely passed and my Juggy OTC was right on the pass side. Seems like they needed to calibrate that machine, but he'll never admit he was wrong if that is the case. Guess I'll just start swinging the OTC and think about trading the RD for a 30oz I can use. Sucks though, because that bat was in its prime.

Would anyone even trade for a bat thats been spray painted? I know that I wouldnt... Not trying to be rude, but just legitly curious if any of you guys would trade for one.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
The heck with the bat failing I would be more pissed that someone spray painted my bat...that is definitely NGTG!!

Grip_&_Rip24

East Coast Assault
They spray painted the end caps of all 15 or so of our bats without asking any of us. Multiply that by 150 some odd teams in the different leagues and that's quite a few pissed off bat owners. It's like adding insult to injury: your bat failed, now I'm going to paint over your end cap.

so you guys had 15 bats fail??? or did the spray paint different colors indicating pass/fail??

CVhookem63

Would anyone even trade for a bat thats been spray painted? I know that I wouldnt... Not trying to be rude, but just legitly curious if any of you guys would trade for one.

When he spray painted our bats, it was inconvenient, and vandalizing personal property without permission, but it wasn't permanent. Nothing a little nail polish remover, and old rag, and a little elbow grease wouldn't fix.

BEFORE
photofv.jpg

AFTER
photo1kux.jpg

Last edited:

CVhookem63

so you guys had 15 bats fail??? or did the spray paint different colors indicating pass/fail??

We had 15 bats tested. Most of them were ASA and had no problem, but there were 6 so utrip bats. My RD failed and the rest of them barely passed. I thought they taped and painted every bat, but I just checked my OTC and it just has a green piece of electric tape above the grip on the handle. So they only painted the bats that failed. I'm not sure what kind of thought process they used to decide to do that, or who told him it was a good idea, but the LD is an idiot so its not surprising.

CRHJ1M

Addicted to Softballfans
He painted our bats that passed with green spray paint on the end cap in addition to the electrical tape. He told us that he is in the process of getting sticker made, but who knows. But the whole process was stupid, he had kids that were max 19 years old riding around with him and every Miken bat he tested they were like thats a painted Ultra. My little brothers new Utrip Freak Plus, they were like that has to be a painted Ultra.

CVhookem63

Yeah, I did see some green paint on some of our bats, he must have just missed my OTC. It got the tape though. That kid that was riding around with him came back around later on and said something to the effect of, "We can send your bat in to ASA and have them test it, but if it fails their test, and they determine it doesn't pass, then the manufacturer can fine you $100,000." First off, sending a USSSA bat in to ASA doesn't seem like the right way to go about it. That's where them creating their own ASA/USSSA hybrid rules comes back to bite them (and me). Second, if they send the bat in to be tested it will be destroyed. He said "If they determine that it wasn't tampered with, they might give you the same bat but new." He couldn't understand why they couldn't just give me the same bat, and I had to explain him that only 1000 were made and they don't make them anymore. Then the old man piped in, "even if they determine that it wasn't altered, they could still fine you and charge you for the testing." After that I determined that they were just pulling information out of their backside. Neither of them knew what they were talking about. Then things got hostile, we had some words, old man stood up off his golf cart and bowed up. I just laughed and walked off.

Last edited:

injury

Star Player
Hrmm and I had considered trying out the leagues in Longview...guess I'll just stay happy in Tyler heh.

CVhookem63

Hrmm and I had considered trying out the leagues in Longview...guess I'll just stay happy in Tyler heh.

I played in Tyler in the fall. Seemed like it ran a lot smoother over there. Never had any problems. I like that Longview uses utrip bats, instead of the ASA in Tyler, but a lot of Longview's rules are out of whack.