question for outfielders

squirt

strokin and swingin
What is the smallest fielding glove you could use in the outfield? I have played OF off and on but now on one team my coach wants to keep me out there. Right now I have two gloves, one is a Mizuno 13.25 and the other is a Vinci 12.5. The last game I played OF with the Vinci for the first time and had a ball pop out of the glove. The captain looked at me and said your glove is too small :rolleyes:. I had to wonder if this guy has ever played the OF.. Just like batting, it's not the tool being used but the person using the tool...

What's the smallest gloves have you guys used???

Devil Dog

You like soup?
What is the smallest fielding glove you could use in the outfield? I have played OF off and on but now on one team my coach wants to keep me out there. Right now I have two gloves, one is a Mizuno 13.25 and the other is a Vinci 12.5. The last game I played OF with the Vinci for the first time and had a ball pop out of the glove. The captain looked at me and said your glove is too small :rolleyes:. I had to wonder if this guy has ever played the OF.. Just like batting, it's not the tool being used but the person using the tool...

What's the smallest gloves have you guys used???

:confused:

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Would never go smaller than 13'', though I believe that an outfielder should use as big a glove as possible. No reason not to.

Coonass

Addicted to Softballfans
yes 2 in the pinky......

I wear a size 12 ring, just need to loosen up the pinky loop.

I also don't put my hand all the way in the glove. I have about 3/4" from the bottom of my glove to the middle the crease between the thumb and wrist.

WhitePhins

MYSTERY MAN
Well I've been playing OF my whole life and I'm in the process of using a GMP10 and using two in the pinky with batting gloves on. been playing alittle 1st base and using my GMP55R with the same set-up.

ogsoftballplaye

I use a gmp55bk with 2 in the pinky. It's a 12.5 Never had a ball pop out. I use to use a 12.75 with 2 in the pinky. Never had one pop out either.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
Which Vinci model do you have? I use 13.5" but also have a 13" I have no problem with. They are both trapeze web gloves with big pockets. 12.5" is the smallest glvoe I would use in the OF but I think 13" is the perfect OF size. In the end it is whatever you are most comfortable with. If you had a ball pop out of your glove it isn't the size of the glove that is the issue. You need to catch it in the web, not the palm.

Zipperking

WTP all day
I use a 13" but definitely put two in the pinky, have another 13.5" that plays like a 14" but seems to big for my liking.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I started in the OF with a 12.75", but later picked up a 12" that I still use in the OF. It's just what I've been comfortable with.

squirt

strokin and swingin
Which Vinci model do you have? I use 13.5" but also have a 13" I have no problem with. They are both trapeze web gloves with big pockets. 12.5" is the smallest glvoe I would use in the OF but I think 13" is the perfect OF size. In the end it is whatever you are most comfortable with. If you had a ball pop out of your glove it isn't the size of the glove that is the issue. You need to catch it in the web, not the palm.

True statement right there!!! That is exactly what happened to me, which is why I found it odd when he just flat out said the glove was too small :rolleyes:. By no means am I an outfielder, he just moved me out there because I am one of the fastest guys he has; I am usually in the infield. Sitting there waiting for a ball that is a mile high messes with you, IF you are not used to it...

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
no Devil Dog, I am not playing with your tool... Cut it out with the bromance already, WTF??? :confused::eek::D

Squirt, I'm sure you're joking around, but you do see what Devil Dog did there right? You say it's not the glove, it's the person, but then are asking about the smallest glove people use in the outfield. If it's not the equipment, then why wonder the smallest size for the outfield?

;)

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I don't think it's necessarily the size of the glove, but how deep the pocket is.

If you've developed a nice deep pocket so that the glove closes around the ball on impact, then you're GTG. This can be done with any glove, really, regardless of the size. I've seen guys play the OF with 12 inch gloves with no problem. I personally use a 12.75 myself.

squirt

strokin and swingin
Squirt, I'm sure you're joking around, but you do see what Devil Dog did there right? You say it's not the glove, it's the person, but then are asking about the smallest glove people use in the outfield. If it's not the equipment, then why wonder the smallest size for the outfield?

;)

yeah bro, I was joking around and I know exactly what he did... I just had to comment because D-Dog loves my man ham way too much...:(

Addicted to Softballfans
Personal preference is 13.5" but I tried a buddy's IF glove he used in baseball. 11" was hella crazy, felt like I really need to concentrate on each ball hit to me, where as the 13.5" I could just play w/o any worries. LOL

dgambill85

Banned User
I use a 13.5" pjv416 with three in the pinky and I woul honestly say that you should play with as large of a glove as you feel comfortable with.

lamey_the_bgp

CEO of BatShelf.com
Used a 12.5 when I started playing but now its a 12.75 or a 12. I would have to agree though, it depends on the pocket. :D

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
yeah bro, I was joking around and I know exactly what he did... I just had to comment because D-Dog loves my man ham way too much...:(
cool, I've seen a lot of butthurt up in the forums lately, so I wasn't sure:)

Carry on.

JamHud

Addicted to Softballfans
I have used a Nokona AMG-400 (14") for 15 years playing outfield.
Just picked up a replacement AMG-400K.

Used a 13.5" for 7 years or do before that...