3rd Round Playoffs call and protest question

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
During our 3rd playoff game we played a team that is knowing to cry about just about everything and while it came out last night and then some. Game was going good for them while they were up in runs but then by the 5th inning we starting smashing and came back with a 9 run inning to take over the lead, after that they protested our lineup which we are good to go on and then starting saying to check our bats and on and on and on.

With 20 mins left in the game we are up by 4 runs and up at bat one of our guys had a runner on 2nd and hit a what would have been a double but as he was rounding 1st the guy playing 1st was in his way and he lifted his arm as not to bump him but for protection due to the 1st baseman is 6 feet and 295lbs, the blue called him out saying he intentionally bump the 1st baseman , that was the of our last at bat that would of scored at least one run and to make a long story short we lost by one run and that call was a game killer for us.

Now my questions to those of you that will know the answer are.

1.They protest our lineup that will come up in our favor but can we protest the blues call that most likely cost us the game? The 1st baseman was impending our running to 2nd and should have been called out?

2.We found out close to the end of the game one of the players on the other team had his 16 in a half year old out son play as catcher and a runner who was very fast he looks 18 but he is 16 in a half and one of the league rules is you must be 18 he did drove in 1 run and ran 2 times that end up in runs for them, should this all be took into account as a protest and should this game not be recorded?

-Six-

Weiner
ive plowed the first baseman a few times. they need to get out of the runners way when they do not have the ball. bad call.

not sure what raise arms means. Ive never dropped my shoulder though, and i usually try to "dance" around them.

As far as the kid playing, i dont know if you can protest it after the fact? try i guess.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
ive plowed the first baseman a few times. they need to get out of the runners way when they do not have the ball. bad call.

not sure what raise arms means. Ive never dropped my shoulder though, and i usually try to "dance" around them.

As far as the kid playing, i dont know if you can protest it after the fact? try i guess.

Trust me our runner is a small fast guy and again 1st base dude is 6 feet 295.

wasabi25

Addicted to Softballfans
Got to get those league rules in your area. Protest round here have to be called before the end of the first inning. After that, off the table. Any sub in the middle of the game can be protested.
As for the kid, I think it's 16 and over with parental consent to the league. No consent, got to be 18. It's a liability insurance thing.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
You didn't mention what ruleset you were using. I'm going to speak ASA here.

Barring any local rules saying otherwise, it's too late for you to protest now. You should have informed the umpire that you were playing under protest as soon as he called your player out for "bumping" the first baseman.

Since you say it should have been a double, it sounds like the first baseman obstructed your runner, and there would not have been a potential interference call. However, it's still your runner's obligation to avoid contact, and it sounds like the umpire saw your runner initiating contact. If that's the case, then the umpire only has one of two options: warn or toss the offender. If he warns the guy, that's it, nothing more happens. If he tosses the guy, then a legal substitute must be entered in his place. If no sub is available, that's ball game. There is no rule that calls an out for initiating contact with a defensive player who does not have the ball.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
You didn't mention what ruleset you were using. I'm going to speak ASA here.

Barring any local rules saying otherwise, it's too late for you to protest now. You should have informed the umpire that you were playing under protest as soon as he called your player out for "bumping" the first baseman.

Since you say it should have been a double, it sounds like the first baseman obstructed your runner, and there would not have been a potential interference call. However, it's still your runner's obligation to avoid contact, and it sounds like the umpire saw your runner initiating contact. If that's the case, then the umpire only has one of two options: warn or toss the offender. If he warns the guy, that's it, nothing more happens. If he tosses the guy, then a legal substitute must be entered in his place. If no sub is available, that's ball game. There is no rule that calls an out for initiating contact with a defensive player who does not have the ball.

Sorry yes and ASA rules and that is what we were in differences about was the call out when a defensive player did not have the ball.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
on the 16 year old in a half, league rules are you have to be 18 no matter what and again we lost by one but he did bring in 3 runs for them. Now something would of been said earlier but again we did not find out till close to the end of the game by someone in the stands and the blue was told.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
on the 16 year old in a half, league rules are you have to be 18 no matter what and again we lost by one but he did bring in 3 runs for them. Now something would of been said earlier but again we did not find out till close to the end of the game by someone in the stands and the blue was told.

But even if the umpire is aware that there's an ineligible player in the game, we can't do anything about it. It still must be handled as a protest by the offended team. Once the game was over and the umpires left the field, you lost your chance at protesting the ineligible player.

By rule, the most you can do now is complain to the LD.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
But even if the umpire is aware that there's an ineligible player in the game, we can't do anything about it. It still must be handled as a protest by the offended team. Once the game was over and the umpires left the field, you lost your chance at protesting the ineligible player.

By rule, the most you can do now is complain to the LD.

Thanks and what sucks is that would work hard and played our butts off all season we beat some teams that we didn't have a chance to beat and we pulled it off, this team ( that we played)was one of them teams that really luck out on making this far so this was really a bitter end for us.

Why would a team that just protested a roster then play with an illegal player? Weird.

NC's answer is a good one. You should have protested the ump's call on the runner/1B immediately because he botched the ruling. You can't do anything now.

Next time you play them, make sure your team is legit and know the league and association rules inside and out in case anything like that comes up again.....

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
.....we played a team that is knowing to cry about just about everything ........

:rolleyes: Irony^

There's no crying or protesting in slow pitch recreational softball.

1. You lost
2. It happens
3.Try again.
4. Have fun.

Softball 101. When you play against a team that cries, don't join in. Laugh your ass off every time they do it. Mock them until one of them snaps and gets tossed.

You need to learn a life lesson here. Whether it's bad calls or whining opponents, you can't change the situation. You can only change the way you deal with it. When the dust settles, you don't want to look back and realize you were "that guy".

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
:rolleyes: Irony^

There's no crying or protesting in slow pitch recreational softball.

1. You lost
2. It happens
3.Try again.
4. Have fun.

Softball 101. When you play against a team that cries, don't join in. Laugh your ass off every time they do it. Mock them until one of them snaps and gets tossed.

You need to learn a life lesson here. Whether it's bad calls or whining opponents, you can't change the situation. You can only change the way you deal with it. When the dust settles, you don't want to look back and realize you were "that guy".

True we did lost but a what to be a bad call and an ineligible player end up in 3 runs for them. Its hard to have a god seaons play our butts off then to have this happened to a tream like this did have us singing the blues.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
Why would a team that just protested a roster then play with an illegal player? Weird.

NC's answer is a good one. You should have protested the ump's call on the runner/1B immediately because he botched the ruling. You can't do anything now.

Next time you play them, make sure your team is legit and know the league and association rules inside and out in case anything like that comes up again.....

Trust me next time we will have their # and are team is legit and your right about finding out all the rules inside and out, also we did protest the blues call right away that is why I was asking what could happeneed next or be the outcome.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
During our 3rd playoff game we played a team that is knowing to cry about just about everything and while it came out last night and then some. Game was going good for them while they were up in runs but then by the 5th inning we starting smashing and came back with a 9 run inning to take over the lead, after that they protested our lineup which we are good to go on and then starting saying to check our bats and on and on and on.

With 20 mins left in the game we are up by 4 runs and up at bat one of our guys had a runner on 2nd and hit a what would have been a double but as he was rounding 1st the guy playing 1st was in his way and he lifted his arm as not to bump him but for protection due to the 1st baseman is 6 feet and 295lbs, the blue called him out saying he intentionally bump the 1st baseman , that was the of our last at bat that would of scored at least one run and to make a long story short we lost by one run and that call was a game killer for us.

Now my questions to those of you that will know the answer are.

Pot, Kettle; Kettle, Pot.
1.They protest our lineup that will come up in our favor but can we protest the blues call that most likely cost us the game? The 1st baseman was impending our running to 2nd and should have been called out?

Okay, the 1st baseman is out.

No, you cannot protest that call and just based on this without seeing it, I'm going to agree with the umpire. If your runner did nothing to avoid the collision other than raise an arm, he isn't going to be out. However, he is going to be ejected at the end of the play and I really don't care how big Bubba is.

We found out close to the end of the game one of the players on the other team had his 16 in a half year old out son play as catcher and a runner who was very fast he looks 18 but he is 16 in a half and one of the league rules is you must be 18 he did drove in 1 run and ran 2 times that end up in runs for them, should this all be took into account as a protest and should this game not be recorded?

So you had a 15 yo playing with you. That is an issue for your league since it is a league rule.

BTW, if you THINK a single call caused you to lose a game, you did not play well enough to win to begin.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I would be speaking with the LD about the underage player at least. In some states that would now be an actual violation of state concussion safety statutes. You should have protested the interference call when it happened and the underage player as soon as you found out about it. Now it's too late, time to take your loss and move on.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans

No, you cannot protest that call and just based on this without seeing it, I'm going to agree with the umpire. If your runner did nothing to avoid the collision other than raise an arm, he isn't going to be out. However, he is going to be ejected at the end of the play and I really don't care how big Bubba is.

So you had a 15 yo playing with you. That is an issue for your league since it is a league rule.

BTW, if you THINK a single call caused you to lose a game, you did not play well enough to win to begin.

This right here^^^

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip

1st of all he was 16 1/2
2nd we lost by one which the bad call would of scored at least 2 runs for us.
3rd the 16 1/2 ran for 2 guys they are very slow and he scored twice for them and drove in a run also.

So do the math if you can.

Thanks

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
1st of all he was 16 1/2
3rd the 16 1/2 ran for 2 guys they are very slow and he scored twice for them and drove in a run also.

Thanks

Doing the math here:

1st + 2nd + 3rd = sour grapes :D

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
1st of all he was 16 1/2

Thanks

Well, if you want to be picky, you stated 16 in a half. If the boy is going to be 16 in a half, I would read that as 15 and a half

Cannot help it if your league has a courtesy runner or half-assed re-entry rule, shouldn't have either

BFD, 2 runs! Your team did not play well enough to win. I wonder how many runs the "complaining" team thought they lost?

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
1st of all he was 16 1/2

Thanks

You're assuming that there's no way the people he ran for would have scored. (false, unless he beat out some really close plays)
And you're also assuming that whomever played C instead of him wouldn't have driven in a single run...which may or may not have happened.

sjury

The Old Man
In our city and county adult leagues the minimum age requirement is 16 for all adult sports... flag football, basketball, volleyball, kickball, and softball. The hacker is right. No matter how good and fast a 16 year old is, they rarely have the bat or awareness of someone 10+ years older. It sucks that a few bad calls got you in this spot, but it happens, no one likes to lose, but someone has to.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
No, you cannot protest that call
I thought that you couldn't protest judgement (the batter-runner initiated or failed to avoid contact) but you could protest rule interpretation (the consequence for the BR initiating/failing to avoid contact).
I'm not agreeing with the OP but if a single call causes you to lose a game, then yeah, you played well enough to win. Fortunately it's only happened to me once out of the hundreds of games I've played.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
You're assuming that there's no way the people he ran for would have scored. (false, unless he beat out some really close plays)
And you're also assuming that whomever played C instead of him wouldn't have driven in a single run...which may or may not have happened.

Ok Hebrew this all I was trying to say , if the blue was not suppose to call our player out that bump the other teams player but eject him after the play was over then we would of scored 2 runs on that play due to having runners on 3rd and 2nd.

But before he reached 2nd he called him out and that was the end of the inning due to we had 2 outs so our runners did not scored so In this case as time ran out we would of least be tied up.

On the young fast kid base running all can say is you had to be there to see who he was running for and really he was the only player on that team that has any speed.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
And a protest can't be lodged after the fact. It must be done at tue time of the rule misinterpretation as soon as another pitch is thrown its over.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
And a protest can't be lodged after the fact. It must be done at tue time of the rule misinterpretation as soon as another pitch is thrown its over.

Yes right after the call was made we ask the blue why he was called out and also our manger said he will protest the call and this was done before the next pitch.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
If you're as butthurt about that game as you appear to be, just inform the next team those guys are playing to protest their roster. It's a totally bitchmade move, but if that makes you feel better about it (since you're not getting the desired e-sympathy here).

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
If you're as butthurt about that game as you appear to be, just inform the next team those guys are playing to protest their roster. It's a totally bitchmade move, but if that makes you feel better about it (since you're not getting the desired e-sympathy here).

Chill dude no one is looking for any e-sympathy simple questions.

Also you start off by saying the team you were playing is crying team or something to that effect . So that tells me there was some bad blood between the 2 teams going into the game..... So in a heated game between two teams that more than likely don't like each other and being a playoff game. I can see your batter-runner who may or may not have been baited into cheap shotting the 1st basemen doing so. In my opinion without seeing the play I am going to say the umpire made the correct call as I've never seen an umpire make this type of call in error versus an obstruction call on the 1st basemen.

So no bad call, no excuses, you lost and its time to move on!

IMO...:)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought that you couldn't protest judgement (the batter-runner initiated or failed to avoid contact) but you could protest rule interpretation (the consequence for the BR initiating/failing to avoid contact).

What rule would that be?