Punk move for church ball?

wcoastsoftball

This weekend we played a team that has been stacking for quite a few years now. Obviously everyone guns to beat them, but it is amazing how many good softball players go to one church, lol. In other words, they were going to win.

Well anyways, I chased a bad short pitch and popped up to second baseman with a man on first. As I start walking towards dugout while ball is in air, I see 2nd deliberately drop it and try to turn two. Funny that the left side of his infield didn't realize what he was doing so he had no play a second. I start running to first and he throws it away, which moves us to second and third. While on second I proceed to tell him "nice church league play there" and nice throw. He says it was a smart play if he would have turned it. Personally I think if he would have tried that in a tournament, he would have been walking around with a bat up his behind the rest of the day. Then as we are wlking through the post game handshake, he bumps me a little harder than the others.

thoughts on this douche (he really is an idiot regardless) or was that a smart attempt?

lordnlkon

Star Player
I think since you didn't run it was a smart attempt but him bumping you like that at the end is really douchey.

wcoastsoftball

I think since you didn't run it was a smart attempt but him bumping you like that at the end is really douchey.

He can attempt to give it, but can't take it I guess. And I guess I actually took a few steps up the line then kinda tailed off, then saw what was happening and turned back in.

I guess my question is, if someone did this in tourny ball, regardless of what the batter does, what would be the reaction?

Original Donkey

Older, yet still fast
Hmm, douchey.... yep. Smart play if you weren't running? Yep. Both in the right there. Bumping you in line however would have got some attention that he wouldn't have liked.

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans
Not trying to bust your chops, but if you had just ran to first like you should have then this never would have happened. It really has nothing to do with church ball.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Infield fly rule should have been called (depending on the outs) and if you made an attempt toward the dugout you could have been called out also. It was a douche move for slowpitch, however it happens in baseball. The bottom line is there was a lack of hustle. Second baseman should have made sure of the out and batter should have made sure of it too.

however all of this would have been avoided if you would have only hit it 525 ft like most guys on the internet :D

Amess215

I TURN DBLES 2 SINGLES
WOW! Simple lesson to be learned here. Run everything out! They teach you that in T-Ball. All this F@#$ery wouldn't have happened if you had run it out.

Joker

Infield fly rule should have been called (depending on the outs) and if you made an attempt toward the dugout you could have been called out also. It was a douche move for slowpitch, however it happens in baseball. The bottom line is there was a lack of hustle. Second baseman should have made sure of the out and batter should have made sure of it too.

however all of this would have been avoided if you would have only hit it 525 ft like most guys on the internet :D

you sure about this?

-Six-

Weiner
i would have laughed at him for screwing it up or myself for the hit. either way im laughing at someone.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
kinda douche on both of you really. not continuing down the line, him letting the ball drop to turn two, your comments, and his harder than needed bump.

It really all started with you swinging at a bad pitch :D

bwh3516

Addicted to Softballfans
You run everything out especially with a runner on first. I'm out of shape with bad knees but I run everything out.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I'm wondering about the infield fly myself. It's supposed to prevent this. Since it wasn't called I'd have to say it was a douchey but legal play.

gold_glove9

<font color="Orange">Utility Player</font>

Infield fly wouldn't be called because there was not a runner on second base. I could possibly seeing travesty called if it were a tournament, but you should be hustling anyway.

Joker

Infield fly wouldn't be called because there was not a runner on second base. I could possibly seeing travesty called if it were a tournament, but you should be hustling anyway.

you people need to visit the "as the umpire" section more

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
This.
I guess my question is, if someone did this in tourny ball, regardless of what the batter does, what would be the reaction?
It happened to my team a couple of weeks ago. I was ticked at my guy that didn't run it out, not the guy that took advantage of a bad play.
i think the smartass comment wasn't needed
This.

I'm wondering about the infield fly myself. It's supposed to prevent this. Since it wasn't called I'd have to say it was a douchey but legal play.
There has to be a runner on first and a runner on second. Otherwise, there's no double play opportunity if the batter runs it out.

pudds

Star Player
Unless your league plays with modified rules, the infield fly rule only applies with runners on 1st and 2nd or the bases loaded.

blldwg23

Coach
I disagree with the little extra bump at the end, that was uncalled for. But as far as the play goes if you weren't running down the line then it was a smart play. Poorly executed with him throwing it away.
As far as an infield fly if there is only a runner on first, infield fly doesn't come into play. Due to you are SUPPOSE to run the play out to first hence "dropping" the ball would only basically switch runners. There must be a force play at third for infield fly to be called.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
me pitching, team down and gonna lose
runner on first guy hits weak pop up to me
i see he isnt running, let ball drop
easily turn two
his team jumps his ass, and say nice play to me
they laugh at him while i enjoy beers after game with them

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Yes, punk move for a Chruch ball league....it's one of those unwritten rules

DoctaJ

The Veteran
Similar play happened to me this weekend. I was playing 2nd and a bigger dude popped one up to our SS who proceeded to drop it (truly was an accident though, he made a lot of errors that day) and batter was walking down the line with a runner on first. When he dropped it I was already standing close to 2nd, so he picked it up, tossed it to me and we turned 2. If it had been done on purpose I could see how someone would view it as a douche move, but it is a really easy way to embarrass the batter for not running it out... maybe he will think twice next time. So, I guess in a way that kind of a play is good for the game lol

wcoastsoftball

Yes, punk move for a Chruch ball league....it's one of those unwritten rules

Here is the thing on this particular play though, it isn't that he let it drop without touching it, it is that he caught it and in one motion, lowered the glove to the ground and dropped it, the ball was in his glove and he kinda did an in and out. Again, I took a few steps up the line jogging and started to turn away as the ball came down into the glove and headed to the bench.

Bad pitch to chase for sure, but the pitcher was throwing some nice stuff and I saw inside, and the ball just dropped.

And I kinda thought the same thing as crdawg, personally I think I held back the trash talk because it was me that hit it. if it was one of my teammates who usually pop up and don't know better I probably would have gave him more crap.

CFD94

The Veteran
Just saying I play tournaments quite frequently, and I see multiple people each weekend not run out pop flies to the outfield, let alone the 2nd baseman. I agree it needs to be ran out, but the whole board is acting like everyone runs it out, along with the fact that they always do. Just my thoughts. Either way shoulda just caught it, and shoulda ran it out.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
It's Church league....supposed to be there to have fun and use common sense during play. If I hit a lazy infield pop up I"m probably not running it out as it's "church league" and not the World Series or a tournament.

blldwg23

Coach
I'm not saying you gotta fly down the line like Ricky Henderson trying to stretch a single to a double, half way trot and they ain't turning two on you. Most of the time they won't even attempt it if you do. But if you swing and watch or turn back or take a step and watch, then hey if they turn two you deserved it.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
If you didn't run it out, you don't have the right to say anything. Lack of hustle trumps all, regardless of what kind of league it is.