Punk move for church ball?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do. The closest guy to the batter for the ultimate challenge. :D I don't want no easy hits.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
Ah, y'all are right....100% effort all of the time in every single game regardless of level. If those on the opposite side of the ball cant handle it then get off the field and respect the game. This game isn't for those who don't want win of give 100% 24/7. Little League, Coed, Church League, Tournament ball I'm going 100% from here on out.

I believe it's disrespectful to the game to have players on the field who can't really compete. We don't get out there to have fun so if you want to have some fun head to the water park.

:thumb:

Ugh...SBF > MLB

you are misinterpreting the responses probably on purpose. its not about hustling 100% of the time, its about playing against joe schmoes regardless of the what level it is and they make mistakes. i've seen so many guys hit pop ups to the infield, outfield whatever and walk to the dugout. in the end you get what you deserve.

all the douchey chirping afterwards is unnecessary.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are misinterpreting the responses probably on purpose. its not about hustling 100% of the time, its about playing against joe schmoes regardless of the what level it is and they make mistakes. i've seen so many guys hit pop ups to the infield, outfield whatever and walk to the dugout. in the end you get what you deserve.

But his joe schmoe team was playing a stacked team of tournament players that may or probably don't go to the church they were playing for. This team stacks up every year, and this dropped ball play just seems like additional fuel on the douche fire they already brought. IMO of course.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
As I described in my particular play, the ball went into his glove as far as I could tell and he guided it in one motion to the ground. That was what I could tell from my peripheral vision as I turned away to head to the bench.

I misread dropped it to let it drop, still I believe in ASA this is still not against the rules unless he secures the catch and drops it.

"Run it out", "hustle" "give 100% on every play"....what a bunch of douche's...WestCoast is no slouch and did what every single one of us would have done in that situation...didn't know there were so many Church League ballers on here. I also agree with telling the 2B what he did...people are clueless to how dumb they really are unless they are informed.

You are missing the point, yes everyone here has hit a pop up and not run it out. The point is that when I do this and if the player dropped the ball and tried to turn 2 because I got lazy, I take responsibility for my laziness and realize it is my fault for not running it out. I do not talk **** to the 2b who actually made a smart play to try to punish me for being lazy.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.

I am and hit didnt just walk to the dugout...he trotted towards 1st and saw Dustin Pedroia making the catch and then started to turn it out. Like we've all done a million times. Then Pedroia guided the ball to the ground and pretended to drop it in attempts of make a double play. This was not expected by OP since this is a "church league" game not the World Series and all should just be playing for fun.

But his joe schmoe team was playing a stacked team of tournament players that may or probably don't go to the church they were playing for. This team stacks up every year, and this dropped ball play just seems like additional fuel on the douche fire they already brought. IMO of course.

You are 100% correct as usual

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
So I guess you're done making yourself sound dumb hence the reason you didn't respond, I take that as your apology.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
So I guess you're done making yourself sound dumb hence the reason you didn't respond, I take that as your apology.

I misread the original post but still if this is ASA you are still wrong if he just guided the ball to the ground without controlling the catch. If he actually didn't touch the ball and its USSSA then its also not illegal.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Let me say this: in my Sunday school class we have a guy who was a SS for the Rookies, another guy who pitched for the Rangers and 3 other guys who played in college. Our C tourney team started as a church team... So it can happen. I go to a pretty big church so there are a lot of guys to draw from.
So good plays are a thing I'm used to seeing out of our church team.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
i'm still a bit confused on why church league has anything to do with it. Kind of a douchey move, but completely legal by the sounds of it and something I'd be fine with my defense doing.

I've been caught in a very similar situation. I was a bit butt hurt afterwards, but then realized that had I just run toward first until I knew for sure I was out rather than being pissed at myself for popping up and sulking back to the dugout, then it wouldn't have made the bad situation worse.

Any play that is legal, not regularly seen, and benefits the other team is going to feel douchey every single time. Never fun being on the receiving end of those plays.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
The majority of the time that an infielder attempts this, something goes awry and it doesn't work (i.e the umpire makes a call, the ball spins away from the infielder, the ball is thrown away, or a runner beats it out). Then the other team calls him a douche and says it's bush league and makes a scene about it. When done successfully, it's very clear that the baserunner is the douche. You generally don't hear anything other than his teammates telling him he should've run it out.

Whether it's church league, coed, or a majors tournament...that matters none.

Joker

i hit a sharp ground ball right to 2b last night. i jogged down to 1st as he fielded it cleanly and promptly threw it away. safe at 1st, 47% hustle

CootersTowing

pacific northwest south of the 49th
Douche and illegal...

Rule 7, Sec. 9

e. The batter is out if a fielder intentionally drops, or lets fall untouched, a fair fly ball, including a line drive, which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort with first base occupied with less than two (2) outs.

EFFECT: Rule 7, Sec. 9 The ball is dead,the batter is out and baserunners must return to the last base touched at the time of the pitch. This does not apply to an infield fly, the dropped ball remains alive on an infield fly

... in NSACanada.

wcoastsoftball

i'm still a bit confused on why church league has anything to do with it. Kind of a douchey move, but completely legal by the sounds of it and something I'd be fine with my defense doing.

I've been caught in a very similar situation. I was a bit butt hurt afterwards, but then realized that had I just run toward first until I knew for sure I was out rather than being pissed at myself for popping up and sulking back to the dugout, then it wouldn't have made the bad situation worse.

Any play that is legal, not regularly seen, and benefits the other team is going to feel douchey every single time. Never fun being on the receiving end of those plays.

I think the type of league does have something to do with it, at least with ours. The local commercial league is pretty competitive so I could see this happening there without issue, as well as probably a tournament situation. Our church league is probably like any other with a wide range of abilities and team strengths, we are probably bottom-mid level as a team, with three or four of us that can "play" and the other 8 who are not so much. To me you take the sure out and move on, and the usual camaraderie with our teams is pretty good, meaning always supporting and sometimes teaching/coaching players on other teams in situations and don't make people or yourself look cheap.

kokamojo15

Manager
Douche move is blowing up the old man in jean shorts that's on the mound and yelling BOOM!!! IMO ball is ball. If you can turn a double play any way possible then do it.(don't hurt anyone doing so). I would have done the same thing if I seen you cut to the dog out. And yes I prolly would have thrown the ball away as well. I play church league as well. Our church league has the same thing. A stack team that kicked everyone's ass till the tournament at the end of the season. They lost to us in the finals. It's not about what you both said it's about both actions that were done.

wcoastsoftball

Douche move is blowing up the old man in jean shorts that's on the mound and yelling BOOM!!! IMO ball is ball. If you can turn a double play any way possible then do it.(don't hurt anyone doing so). I would have done the same thing if I seen you cut to the dog out. And yes I prolly would have thrown the ball away as well. I play church league as well. Our church league has the same thing. A stack team that kicked everyone's ass till the tournament at the end of the season. They lost to us in the finals. It's not about what you both said it's about both actions that were done.

Haha, sounds exactly like this team, expect my team didn't beat them in the tourney, someone else did. This guy is probably the most unchristian guy in the league, but who am I to judge? Only reason I said something to him is to let him know I really don't appreciate his overall attitude. They were up 12-2 and he was still chirping to the ump about balls and strikes called on him. Even called timeout in the box after the ump let a borderline high pitch fall in for a strike. He then proceeded to tomahawk a homer afterwards. Pretty impressive to do.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
i hit a sharp ground ball right to 2b last night. i jogged down to 1st as he fielded it cleanly and promptly threw it away. safe at 1st, 47% hustle

When I'm coaching first and someone hits an infield grounder, I line myself up behind the 1Bman with the guy throwing and as they start their throwing motion I jump crazily to the left. They throw it away about half the time in league, so I'm claiming credit for that.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
When I'm coaching first and someone hits an infield grounder, I line myself up behind the 1Bman with the guy throwing and as they start their throwing motion I jump crazily to the left. They throw it away about half the time in league, so I'm claiming credit for that.
Douche! :D

wcoastsoftball

Joker, if you are still implying I am lazy so be it, but I will say any ground ball to the right side (and left side in field of course) or pitcher, I sprint those out, but being lefty helps make it close. In fact same game I bounced one back to pitcher (yes, terrible at bats for me that game) and missed being safe by a half step, never know what can happen. Just in the case with the pop up he is a good player and was camped under it, I felt no reason to continue on the path.

Joker

Joker, if you are still implying I am lazy so be it, but I will say any ground ball to the right side (and left side in field of course) or pitcher, I sprint those out, but being lefty helps make it close. In fact same game I bounced one back to pitcher (yes, terrible at bats for me that game) and missed being safe by a half step, never know what can happen. Just in the case with the pop up he is a good player and was camped under it, I felt no reason to continue on the path.

uh no, i haven't said anything like that in here. i was making fun of the stupid people saying 100% on everything. hell the field was sloppy as **** from the snow sunday and everyone was just going base to base

soloflex3

Addicted to Softballfans
Douche move? No. The year Taylormade won the A they did it to us in the Smoky. It was a back and forth game until this happened. Our SS who did it and didn't even jog down was released the following weekend.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the type of league does have something to do with it, at least with ours. The local commercial league is pretty competitive so I could see this happening there without issue, as well as probably a tournament situation. Our church league is probably like any other with a wide range of abilities and team strengths, we are probably bottom-mid level as a team, with three or four of us that can "play" and the other 8 who are not so much. To me you take the sure out and move on, and the usual camaraderie with our teams is pretty good, meaning always supporting and sometimes teaching/coaching players on other teams in situations and don't make people or yourself look cheap.

I see what you're saying wcoast. I've played church ball for years. In fact, this is the first year that one of my teams is not in an exclusive church league.

My thing is this: no matter what level you think the league should be, someone else will have a different opinion. For you, sounds like this is one of those fun leagues to be a part of. Semi-competitive, but really about the fellowship. Now I know the team you were playing is quite stacked, but their opinion on the competitive nature of the league clearly differs from yours.

This is my 17th year of playing. I've played church teams that are out just for fellowship and to have fun. Every play that happens they're uplifting. You make a mistake, no worries. They'll build you up and tell you you're awesome whether you made a great play or a terrible one. I've played other church teams that will make a run in States and who are there using it as BP. Their 50% play is better than most church league teams. But the majority of teams I've played have at least 1 if not 2 or 3 people on the team that are clearly competitive and came to win. They'll do anything in the game that is legal to potentially win. That includes trying to turn a double play if they see the offense is slacking. So I just have a hard time seeing it as completely douchey. It's just a difference of opinion on the league and how important winning is.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it really that hard to at a minimum "trot" towards 1B after a terrible AB?

Conceding the out and not heading towards 1B says you simply don't care what happens.....so why do you care what he did?

wcoastsoftball

Is it really that hard to at a minimum "trot" towards 1B after a terrible AB?

Conceding the out and not heading towards 1B says you simply don't care what happens.....so why do you care what he did?

Nope, it wasn't that hard. I took a few steps up the line and saw he camped under it and being he normally has a great glove, as it started into the glove, I was turning away. He then guided the ball down tot he clay as if to "drop" it and tried what he did. Thanks.

wcoastsoftball

I see what you're saying wcoast. I've played church ball for years. In fact, this is the first year that one of my teams is not in an exclusive church league.

My thing is this: no matter what level you think the league should be, someone else will have a different opinion. For you, sounds like this is one of those fun leagues to be a part of. Semi-competitive, but really about the fellowship. Now I know the team you were playing is quite stacked, but their opinion on the competitive nature of the league clearly differs from yours.

This is my 17th year of playing. I've played church teams that are out just for fellowship and to have fun. Every play that happens they're uplifting. You make a mistake, no worries. They'll build you up and tell you you're awesome whether you made a great play or a terrible one. I've played other church teams that will make a run in States and who are there using it as BP. Their 50% play is better than most church league teams. But the majority of teams I've played have at least 1 if not 2 or 3 people on the team that are clearly competitive and came to win. They'll do anything in the game that is legal to potentially win. That includes trying to turn a double play if they see the offense is slacking. So I just have a hard time seeing it as completely douchey. It's just a difference of opinion on the league and how important winning is.

Thanks for the opinion. I see what you are saying and you are right. I have been playing for the majority of the past 21 years and had never seen this pulled on the field regardless of the level of play. So yeah, definitely didn't expect it to happen in this league of all of them.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope, it wasn't that hard. I took a few steps up the line and saw he camped under it and being he normally has a great glove, as it started into the glove, I was turning away. He then guided the ball down tot he clay as if to "drop" it and tried what he did. Thanks.

Again, don't blame a douche move on someone else when you could have prevented it by simply heading towards 1B. Not saying you needed to sprint, but merely heading that direction, which is part of the game, would have prevented such tactics. I guess this is taboo in our society these days but......personal accountability!

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Infield fly rule should have been called (depending on the outs) and if you made an attempt toward the dugout you could have been called out also. It was a douche move for slowpitch, however it happens in baseball. The bottom line is there was a lack of hustle. Second baseman should have made sure of the out and batter should have made sure of it too.

however all of this would have been avoided if you would have only hit it 525 ft like most guys on the internet :D

And we have another person who does not know the Infield Fly Rule... SMH

OP: Yeah, it was a DB move... I would have probably reacted the same way.