Punk move for church ball?

wcoastsoftball

If you didn't run it out, you don't have the right to say anything. Lack of hustle trumps all, regardless of what kind of league it is.

I agree I guess. I usually do hustle things out, especially ground balls to second (being a lefty I usually make things close over there on those) and popups to the outfield. I just figured on this play and with him being a decent player he would catch it and move on in a meaningless mens church league game .

Last edited:

WarHorse

Star Player
Infield fly, batter is out. That's why that rule exists. Douchebaggery at it's finest, he's totally in the wrong for that. You surrendered, out at first, just catch the ball and move on.

Joker

Infield fly, batter is out. That's why that rule exists. Douchebaggery at it's finest, he's totally in the wrong for that. You surrendered, out at first, just catch the ball and move on.

rollpalm-mid.png

wcoastsoftball

Not without a guy on second though is it a fly rule. But yeah, i agree on the latter.

Cowan256

Starting Player
Here is the thing on this particular play though, it isn't that he let it drop without touching it, it is that he caught it and in one motion, lowered the glove to the ground and dropped it, the ball was in his glove and he kinda did an in and out. Again, I took a few steps up the line jogging and started to turn away as the ball came down into the glove and headed to the bench.

So if they would've turned the double play you would've argued that he dropped it on the transfer to take only 1 out and runner on first?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you didn't run it out, you don't have the right to say anything. Lack of hustle trumps all, regardless of what kind of league it is.

While this is true, our umpires call it a DBO if a player intentionally drops a ball like that. Even/especially in tournaments.

wcoastsoftball

Its slow pitch softball, I would have called you a douche if you DIDNT make the snide comment

Lol, I appreciate that. probably wouldn't have said anything had he turned it, or just threw to first (which wouldn't had made sense), but he turned to second and no one was there, so he had to hurry the throw to first and and messed that up too. I took it as him trying to show me up.

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
While this is true, our umpires call it a DBO if a player intentionally drops a ball like that. Even/especially in tournaments.

By rule, it's only a DBO if the ball is touched by the fielder before it touches the ground.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
I run everything out, whether I'm playing in a Majors tournament or in a coed rec league. I'm more likely to be called a douche for overhustling, but I feel it's disrespectful to the game to be lazy. Nobody is bigger than the game.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not saying you gotta fly down the line like Ricky Henderson trying to stretch a single to a double, half way trot and they ain't turning two on you. Most of the time they won't even attempt it if you do. But if you swing and watch or turn back or take a step and watch, then hey if they turn two you deserved it.
This
I think it depends on the association. USSSA and ASA have different rules about intentionally dropped balls, but I don't want to misquote either one of them.

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
It's an umpires discretion if you intentionally drop it...

However, not touching it at all until it bounces is not a judgement call

DRock88

What's the problem here?
The moral of the story is to hit out of the infield and this kind of thing can be avoided.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our umpires call it across the board regardless of association, and nobody has ever tried to look it up to dispute their call as it's a douche move and should be a DBO or a free base no matter what association.

If it wasn't a douche move Tom Emanski would teach us this way of fielding a pop up.

wcoastsoftball

The moral of the story is to hit out of the infield and this kind of thing can be avoided.

I hear ya. I had 3 or 4 terrible at bats that game, pitcher was throwing nice curve and knuckle balls with some help from the wind. he is probably one of the better pitchers in the league since he plays everyday. Came back the next game going 3-4 with a triple, homer then a double after starting off with a "sac" fly to oppo.

blldwg23

Coach
Our umpires call it across the board regardless of association, and nobody has ever tried to look it up to dispute their call as it's a douche move and should be a DBO or a free base no matter what association.

If it wasn't a douche move Tom Emanski would teach us this way of fielding a pop up.

Emanski would prolly tell you to get your butt down the first base line, so it wouldn't even be a play. JS. Fundamentals, no body is to old or to good for them.

wcoastsoftball

yeah, I wasn't the only one though, another guy on their team who is kind of a jerk as well depending on the mood he is in hit a long fly to right field and didn't even run to first and started heading to the dugout, our right fielder dropped it and he proceeded to walk to first as the fielder dug it out from the bottom of the fence.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol, I appreciate that. probably wouldn't have said anything had he turned it, or just threw to first (which wouldn't had made sense), but he turned to second and no one was there, so he had to hurry the throw to first and and messed that up too. I took it as him trying to show me up.
You showed yourself up when you popped up, and again when you didn't run it out.
Not running out a pop up or a ground ball is a bigger douche move IMO.
jbo911 said:
If more people didn't run out pop flies to the infield, I'm sure he would teach it.

-Six-

Weiner
we have umpires that will toss players for doing guiding a ball to the ground. one warning then you are gone.

blldwg23

Coach
we have umpires that will toss players for doing guiding a ball to the ground. one warning then you are gone.

Wow!! I have only heard of somebody getting warned, but he was really trying to show off his arm and show people up. So I understood why.

wcoastsoftball

.Not running out a pop up or a ground ball is a bigger douche move IMO..

I disagree, but so be it. I have no problem with opposing players when they don't run out a pop to the infield (to the outfield is a different story). At least in this league where it is supposed to be "fun" and the fielder is capable at his position, ground ball is a different story with the hops we get on our fields.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also don't think Tom Emanski teaches us to hit infield popups

He doesn't teach people to strike out in baseball either, should catchers start intentionally dropping the third strike to try and get the batter to pull a hammy? Is that a head's up play? Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't necessarily make it any less bush league.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree, but so be it. I have no problem with opposing players when they don't run out a pop to the infield (to the outfield is a different story). At least in this league where it is supposed to be "fun" and the fielder is capable at his position, ground ball is a different story with the hops we get on our fields.

I think he meant a douche move to your teammates, not in the showing up the opponents sense. I could be wrong, but had a teammate hit a bunny to the pitcher this weekend and he sulked back to the dugout while the other team threw to another base, got confused, and didn't even throw to first. They eventually did before he got called out for going back into the dugout, but even the least amount of effort would've scored another run for us (guy ran in from third) and kept us hitting.

We immediately pulled him and he grabbed his stuff and left, so he hit the douchbag trifecta, but as you can imagine nobody was sad to see him go.

wcoastsoftball

I think he meant a douche move to your teammates, not in the showing up the opponents sense. I could be wrong, but had a teammate hit a bunny to the pitcher this weekend and he sulked back to the dugout while the other team threw to another base, got confused, and didn't even throw to first. They eventually did before he got called out for going back into the dugout, but even the least amount of effort would've scored another run for us (guy ran in from third) and kept us hitting.

We immediately pulled him and he grabbed his stuff and left, so he hit the douchbag trifecta, but as you can imagine nobody was sad to see him go.

I didn't think just heading to the dugout was an auto out, unless the ump wanted to call it...I thought if you actually entered the dugout then it was?

DRock88

What's the problem here?
He doesn't teach people to strike out in baseball either, should catchers start intentionally dropping the third strike to try and get the batter to pull a hammy? Is that a head's up play? Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't necessarily make it any less bush league.

This is a terrible comparison. Just as terrible as bringing Tom Emanski into the discussion. Whether or not something is douchy or bush league is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that you should hustle. The rest fixes itself.