2014 Band Aid

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
I rcvd this....

Coaches,

We are getting close to June and that means that the 24th Annual Military Band-Aid tournament is just around the corner. The weather is finally starting to look good in Colorado Springs and we can just admire the snow on the Peak. Please make sure that you check the team list. If you are in bold that means your team participated last year and I have NOT yet heard from you this year. I have been hearing rumors of players coming with a team(Ft.
Riley), but no one has contacted me from that team to date. The teams that are highlighted in yellow have committed to attending this year's tourney but have not registered their team online. That is why I can't add you to the list online as attending.
We are still at 27 varsity teams and I'll take only 5 more teams max in that division. I know there is a team(Team Offutt), trying to see if they have enough players to attend this year or not? I have 8 teams in the intramural division and hopefully will get a few more in the next week. I know the leagues will be starting soon on the local bases so that should help. The deadline to enter will be Wednesday, 4 June, at 5pm MST. That means you have one week to enter the Band-Aid. I have a lot of work to complete the last week and I'll be very busy prior to the first pitch.
I will be working on some issues with the USSSA State Director, Scott Cameron, UIC, Eric Blakesley, as well as Mr. Miller and Mr. Hockey. A couple of things that will hopefully eliminate a few rumors. My plan right now is that we are hitting 8 HR's across the board in the varsity division and 2 HR's in the intramural division, just like last year. I'm not planning on using the pitching screen but these are two things that I will address when the by-laws come out prior to the tourney. We are hitting the Worth Classic Plus this year so that answers that question before everyone starts asking.
I have had 4 teams pay me, which is much appreciated. This helps me out tremendously with the initial cost of hosting this tournament. You may pay online through the USSSA website, by check, or paypal. If you use paypal, please mark the friend feature and that eliminates the fee I was told.

Make & Mail checks to:
John Karagiannes
543 S. Alaric Dr.
Pueblo West, Co

jtquest

Manager
Top 5 Predictions for Band Aid
Full Individual Names and the Team they play on.

Top 5 Teams

Top 5 Hitters

Top 5 Pitchers

Top 5 Defenders

Does anybody know the Top 5 Teams from 2013?

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
I'm going to give a stab at the predicted team finishes......
1. G.I. (May be a little biased) 2. Scrapalators, 3. SoCo, 4. JTF-MIDWEST, 5. RILEY.

I have no idea of the rest.

B-Link #99

Retired Damage Controlman
Old Balls/New Sticks defeated GI twice in the Chip to win it all last year...

Does anybody know the Top 5 Teams from 2013?

1. OBNS
2. GI
3. Coast 2 Coast

and don't rememebr who took 4th and 5th

Hopefully the rules won't change in the championship game this year like they did last year..

RedFalcon_27

Ball Collector
Dylan_zps16f58952.jpg

Top 5 Hitters
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Top 5 Pitchers
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Top 5 Defenders
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Because I spit hot fire!

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
So you are saying OBNS will prevail again? Will the OBNS team be in it this year? GI may not take it, but I do not think it will be due to OBNS beating them this year if their in it. Is this a local team in Colorado?

B-Link #99

So you are saying OBNS will prevail again? Will the OBNS team be in it this year? GI may not take it, but I do not think it will be due to OBNS beating them this year if their in it. Is this a local team in Colorado?

It was a pick up team with a bunch of great ball players on it..

jOeyb00

Addicted to Softballfans

Jeff, check out the GHOST RIDERS "MIL A" USSSA Roster. Stacked from top to bottom w/quality players and quality guys...just like us. lol. They are going to be a ton of fun to play against. I have no idea who is going to win but Its going to be a blast thats for sure...WAY to many teams loaded w/talent to choose from.

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Wasn't saying that at all my friend. I just happened to know how last year ended is all..

I look forward to this year as it's an even better list of teams....

:bigok:

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
Looking forward to it as well. This should be a good azimuth check before worlds. I am also looking forward to seeing some of the fellas I haven't seen in some time.

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Last Chance at an Entry....

Coaches,

This is the last call to enter the 24th Annual Military Band-Aid
tournament. The deadline is tomorrow, Wednesday, 4 June, at 5pm MST. That means you have roughly 24 hours to enter the Band-Aid. I lost a couple varsity teams and gained 1, we are at 26 varsity teams. I don't expect any more in that division unless Ft Riley joins. I have 10 teams in the intramural division, thanks to Ft Carson's support. I'm shocked we don't have a better representation from Peterson, AFA, and Schriever.

Here is a sneak preview of the By-Laws. We are still discussing the
pitching screen and waiving the time limit for the Championship and "IF"
games. Play will start, in the varsity division, Friday morning after the
opening ceremonies which is scheduled for 0730. I'm tentatively looking at
an 0820 start or earlier if teams are ready to go. The varsity division will
play a double elimination NIT bracket all day Friday just like last year.
Followed by the 3 GG Band-Aid NIT over the weekend. The intramural division
should begin play around 1500 Friday afternoon. There will be two pool games Friday followed by a 3 GG bracket over the weekend. The seeding for the intramural division will be based off head-to-head, run differential, and then a coin flip.

Those of you that have been helping me get the word out through other social networks please get this list posted so there are no surprises when the bracket comes out this week. If you do not see your team listed then you have not contacted me for a spot to date. I have had only 4 of the 10
intramural teams register online. If you have an asterisk * after your team
name then I need you to register on the USSSA website ASAP. I can't do the bracket until you do and you will threaten your chance of playing in the
tournament. Please make sure you register as a military intramural team.
There is a $25 registration fee.

Varsity Division
1) Over Rated - AZ
2) No Skillz - NM
3) Government Issue - CA (A)
4) Peterson AFB - CO
5) Team Wright Patt - OH
6) FBT - TX
7) CTR - CO
8) SoCo Military Softball/Holy Cow - CO (A)
9) Scrappers - CO
10) Reloaded - TX (A)
11) JBSA-Lackland Warhawks - TX
12) Holloman AFB Varsity - NM
13) AFIs/Nellis Blue - NV
14) Warren Wranglers - WY
15) Sticks Unlimited - OH (A)
16) Ghost Riders - CO (A)
17) AFIs/Nellis Gold - NV
18) JTF/Midwest - SD (A)
19) TK Outlawz - NM
20) JTF Goodfellow - TX
21) Buckley Bombers - CO
22) Scrapalators/Worth - NC (A)
23) Bama Heat - AL
24) Ft Sam Houston - TX
25) JTF Veteranos - TX (A)
26) Team Offutt - NE

Intramural Division
1) Thundersticks - CO *
2) Space Pigs - CO*
3) USAFA - CO *
4) COMM - CO *
5) Shockers - CO
6) HMD - CO
7) Guzzlers - CO *
8) Hitmen - CO *
9) Zombie Assault Team - CO
10) Avengers- CO

There will be a local softball equipment vendor at the Ice Breaker as well
as all weekend at the complex. There are great deals on the new line of
Miken, Worth, and Louisville bats, batting gloves, and apparel. If you're
interested in a specific bat let me know in advance and I'll try and make
sure we have it in stock for you. One piece bats are going for $210 and the
2 piece bats for $260. We will also be doing a raffle at the Ice Breaker
with the following items. Tickets will be 6 for $5 and 15 for $10.

1 - Miken Bat
1 - Miken Apparel Pack - Hat, Dry Fit, Batting Gloves
3 - Miken Hats
3 - Miken Dry Fit
3 - Miken Batting Gloves
3 - Maxx HD Sunglasses

I have had numerous questions on how to make a payment. This information has been provided on the last few e-mails and is pretty self-explanatory. You may pay online through the USSSA website, by check, or paypal. If you use paypal, please mark the friend feature and that eliminates the fee.

Make & Mail checks to:
John Karagiannes
543 S. Alaric Dr.
Pueblo West, Co

Paypal Account:
[email protected]

If you need to contact me please e-mail me at [email protected]. or call my cell is 719-337-0155. I will continue to update you guys as we get closer to the event.

V/R
JK

John P. Karagiannes
USSSA Colorado Military Director,

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
If the screens are not used, will there be bat testing? I would like to think that if they were going to use screens, they would have already put it out. So I am guessing no screens. Not specifically mentioned above, but I suppose there will be a time limit for games besides the championship games. Any idea what each game time limit will be?

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Never seen bat testing at Band-Aid...and quite frankly, no one has ever really come out and say we have to have bat testing at this tournament.

I still think the pitching screens are a bad idea. Takes away from the game and I've seen in the past where pitchers will put the screen off to the side a bit and then still try and field the middle. Almost like a six man infield so to speak. It takes away from the game and they should be left on the sideline where they belong.

Last year our pitcher for OBNS came out and shut down some teams because of his ability to play defense and lock down the middle of the IF. Having a screen in place is what, a foul ball? Even if they make it where it's an out, how about the Double Play opportunities it would take away from teams that have pitchers who we depend on for that very thing.

Far as the time limit...Not sure what it was last year, but it only came into play once or twice..it was like 65 or 70 min??

See everyone at the IceBreaker in a week!!

If the screens are not used, will there be bat testing? I would like to think that if they were going to use screens, they would have already put it out. So I am guessing no screens. Not specifically mentioned above, but I suppose there will be a time limit for games besides the championship games. Any idea what each game time limit will be?

B-Link #99

I still think the pitching screens are a bad idea. Takes away from the game and I've seen in the past where pitchers will put the screen off to the side a bit and then still try and field the middle. Almost like a six man infield so to speak. It takes away from the game and they should be left on the sideline where they belong.

Last year our pitcher for OBNS came out and shut down some teams because of his ability to play defense and lock down the middle of the IF. Having a screen in place is what, a foul ball? Even if they make it where it's an out, how about the Double Play opportunities it would take away from teams that have pitchers who we depend on for that very thing.

Far as the time limit...Not sure what it was last year, but it only came into play once or twice..it was like 65 or 70 min??

See everyone at the IceBreaker in a week!!

I think we should bat test, makes the game fair across the board, and the hitter will still hit.

Screens are in the rules for "A" division, even when an "A" team plays a "B" team the screen must be used based soley on Military rules.

as for game times, we never made it past the 4th inning last year, until they changed it as time would of expired in the championship and completely screwing one team.

with that said, i believe whatever rules they inforce at worlds, should be forced in every USSSA military tourny. It will only make it fair for the everyone and not put teams in a advantage/disadvantage because they have or have not used the screen before.

My biggest concern will be the umpires, they all have a different opinion about the strike zone, some call where it lands and some call where it crosses. If your not from Colorado Springs, you might want to ask the ump before the game to avoid any confussion..

safe travels to all and good luck..

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll be interested to hear how things go with this. We're trying to take another attempt at Military "B" Worlds this year, but if they use a screen I'm not wasting my time or money. Can't control bad weather, but they can control bad decisions (e.g. use of a screen).

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
I do not think the Varsity B teams are required to use the screen when playing other B teams so you all should be good at Worlds. I am against it as well, and it is all because of one incident that transpired at worlds two years ago. Hitting in the middle part of the field is part of the game. If senior bats were being used I could see more of a need for the screen but give me a break! Every pitcher knows they need to protect themselves before taking the mound. Leave it up to them to decide whether or not to take the mound. Hopefully this rule changes soon. I do think the use of the screen takes away a large part of the game and it is like a 5th or 6th infielder, depending what type of defensive construct that is being employed.

jtquest

Manager
Dir, I know you stated that the ball that will be use is the Worth's Hot Dot USSSA Classic Plus 52 Cor. 275lbs Compression. Not a BIG different but good to know… what Model Cover are you going to use, Pro Leather, ProTac, SYCO, or the ProComp?

I rcvd this....

Coaches,

We are getting close to June and that means that the 24th Annual Military Band-Aid tournament is just around the corner. The weather is finally starting to look good in Colorado Springs and we can just admire the snow on the Peak. Please make sure that you check the team list. If you are in bold that means your team participated last year and I have NOT yet heard from you this year. I have been hearing rumors of players coming with a team(Ft.
Riley), but no one has contacted me from that team to date. The teams that are highlighted in yellow have committed to attending this year's tourney but have not registered their team online. That is why I can't add you to the list online as attending.
We are still at 27 varsity teams and I'll take only 5 more teams max in that division. I know there is a team(Team Offutt), trying to see if they have enough players to attend this year or not? I have 8 teams in the intramural division and hopefully will get a few more in the next week. I know the leagues will be starting soon on the local bases so that should help. The deadline to enter will be Wednesday, 4 June, at 5pm MST. That means you have one week to enter the Band-Aid. I have a lot of work to complete the last week and I'll be very busy prior to the first pitch.
I will be working on some issues with the USSSA State Director, Scott Cameron, UIC, Eric Blakesley, as well as Mr. Miller and Mr. Hockey. A couple of things that will hopefully eliminate a few rumors. My plan right now is that we are hitting 8 HR's across the board in the varsity division and 2 HR's in the intramural division, just like last year. I'm not planning on using the pitching screen but these are two things that I will address when the by-laws come out prior to the tourney.We are hitting the Worth Classic Plus this year so that answers that question before everyone starts asking.
I have had 4 teams pay me, which is much appreciated. This helps me out tremendously with the initial cost of hosting this tournament. You may pay online through the USSSA website, by check, or paypal. If you use paypal, please mark the friend feature and that eliminates the fee I was told.

Make & Mail checks to:
John Karagiannes
543 S. Alaric Dr.
Pueblo West, Co

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
Hot Dots! Those balls are horrible! Going to take a FULL cut to hit it out if using those, especially after the first two innings. Disappointing.

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Not sure of the ball sir. I'm the Director for Freedom Sports here in DE..I'm just a player in band-aid. :D

I cut and pasted the post from FB from the Band Aid Director to ensure everyone was on the same page....

I love this tourney and will fly out every year that someone will have me on their team.

Ask GI about the SHAAPPPPOOOOOKKIIEEEE!!

:biggthumpup:

Dir, I know you stated that the ball that will be use is the Worth's Hot Dot USSSA Classic Plus 52 Cor. 275lbs Compression. Not a BIG different but good to know… what Model Cover are you going to use, Pro Leather, ProTac, SYCO, or the ProComp?

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Hit that nail squarely on the head Sir!!!!

I think we should bat test, makes the game fair across the board, and the hitter will still hit.

Screens are in the rules for "A" division, even when an "A" team plays a "B" team the screen must be used based soley on Military rules.

as for game times, we never made it past the 4th inning last year, until they changed it as time would of expired in the championship and completely screwing one team.

with that said, i believe whatever rules they inforce at worlds, should be forced in every USSSA military tourny. It will only make it fair for the everyone and not put teams in a advantage/disadvantage because they have or have not used the screen before.

My biggest concern will be the umpires, they all have a different opinion about the strike zone, some call where it lands and some call where it crosses. If your not from Colorado Springs, you might want to ask the ump before the game to avoid any confusion..

safe travels to all and good luck..

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
How do teams that didn't even play in the tournament last year get better seeding than the teams who did, if that is what the Friday tourney was based on? Some state director you all have in CO. Glad I don't play there regularly......WOW! Not sure how this was approved by the Band-Aid director. Disappointing

Craig #7

Middle's Closed
It isn't like you all re driving in the day of tourney. You will be there day prior and you will just have to get out of the bar an hour earlier. This is the best USSSA military tournament and it just keeps getting better. This year is better fields and better competition. Stop bitching and play, damn GI guys, lol...

DE_FSA_Director

Extra Hitter
Going out on a limb here and saying Friday's is a Blind Draw and Saturdays is based on points right off the website. All 8 A Teams are seeded out 1-8 with the 8th seed having to play one game earlier...

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
Brotha, I wish that were the case and I wouldn't care as much. However, some of us find it hard to play Fridays due to military obligations and cannot be there until Friday morning. In my opinion, the brackets should be built based solely on USSSA points, nothing else. Why does everyone say this is such a great tournament? I've been once and have to tell you, there was room for improvement. For example, its an NIT and we are not even following the USSSA Military rules for homeruns. I more than likely would not have been making the trip this year had they not moved the tournament to better fields. I will agree with you in that moving the tournament was definitely a move in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing in all military tournaments because I enjoy the camaraderie among military veteran ball players but if there are rules and processes in place, they should be followed.