Shaved Bats a thing of the past

blakcherry329

It's still around, and probably always will be, as long as grandfathered bats are used. Outlaw leagues, it goes without saying.

People swing them in my Clincher leagues, but who cares. lol

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I was just thinking about all the old best way to clean a bat threads.

Magic Eraser. /thread

I used to suspect 5-6 guys in our 12 team league of swinging dirty. I recently had a conversation with a friend that plays in the league, and plays a lot of weekend tournaments with other players. He guessed that about 40-50% of the bats used are dirty, and he said a lot of guys freely admit to swinging shavers. He knows 2-3 guys that own bat rollers and admitted to owning a painted Ultra 2 himself.

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
It's still around, maybe slightly less prevalent at the league level. I always see the same three ways people will "justify" it.

1. "Well it passed compression, so it's legit"
2. They call someone else out so they feel it's only fair to swing theirs. Usually their opposition hits a ball hard, and they yell out "swing 'em if you got 'em!"
3. "I just use it to get it through the holes faster, it's not really cheating."

As far as Salvos, LMAO. You didn't even have to swing it in order to be accused of swinging a shaved bat. All you had to do was put it on the fence, and people would start bitching.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Hard to believe that anyone would actually try to make an argument in favor of letting people use shaved bats...whatever lets you sleep at night, right? lol

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
SCU/kid, I'm not saying every salvo is cut. I believe yours aren't (not that it matters what I think). Take it as a compliment that guys on my team were chirping about it back in the day.

All I'm saying is there are some bats that are/were notorious for being doctored, including the SRV4/5, NRG, JHM75, etc.. Anytime I see one nowadays, I'm skeptical. With how hot the new ASA Only's are out of the wrapper, the old tanks (yes I'm including most easton's, old and new in that category) seem out of place (unless they have a TON of hits on them, i don't think the Easton ASA's are up to par with the competition, and that's why they are all $99 come September). Makes them suspect. That said, a guy on my league team has a 30oz NRG and he won't swing anything else. It's clean and a step behind the new ASA Only's (in my opinion), but that's what he's comfortable swinging.

However, while I still think it's a classless to swing dirty, I think it's almost a non-issue now with the new balls and bats being as hot as they are. So, theres now reason to worry about who's swinging what anymore.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Magic Eraser. /thread

I used to suspect 5-6 guys in our 12 team league of swinging dirty. I recently had a conversation with a friend that plays in the league, and plays a lot of weekend tournaments with other players. He guessed that about 40-50% of the bats used are dirty, and he said a lot of guys freely admit to swinging shavers. He knows 2-3 guys that own bat rollers and admitted to owning a painted Ultra 2 himself.

Isn't it funny when you find out a guy has a shaved or rolled to hell bat and you think, man, I'd never have thought that was shaved? I thought shaved bats were to hit the ball hard.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
SCU/kid, I'm not saying every salvo is cut. I believe yours aren't (not that it matters what I think). Take it as a compliment that guys on my team were chirping about it back in the day.

All I'm saying is there are some bats that are/were notorious for being doctored, including the SRV4/5, NRG, JHM75, etc.. Anytime I see one nowadays, I'm skeptical. With how hot the new ASA Only's are out of the wrapper, the old tanks (yes I'm including most easton's, old and new in that category) seem out of place (unless they have a TON of hits on them, i don't think the Easton ASA's are up to par with the competition, and that's why they are all $99 come September). Makes them suspect. That said, a guy on my league team has a 30oz NRG and he won't swing anything else. It's clean and a step behind the new ASA Only's (in my opinion), but that's what he's comfortable swinging.

However, while I still think it's a classless to swing dirty, I think it's almost a non-issue now with the new balls and bats being as hot as they are. So, theres now reason to worry about who's swinging what anymore.

There's a reason why people tend to think all Salvos are cut...just like any other Easton, it's right up there with all the other bats that people think are "heads and shoulders" above everything else. I do know that people shave and roll them, but most likely those people will shave/roll everything else cause they need self esteem help.

I've had many clean Eastons that were on par with all the J3's and other brands...but it does come down to preference. What you are most comfortable will def be the most important factor.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone thinks they're shaved because A) they are the most durable when shaved and are usually available cheap towards the end of the year (Salvos were always cheaper to begin with), and B) people that dont' swing Easton expected them to break in in 50 swings like their Mikens/Worths and since they don't, most guys gave up on them as turds before seeing how well they really performed.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Agreed...and just because they're being sold for $99 doesn't mean that they are bad bats...it just means you can buy very cheap backups...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I know a couple of dudes who say that the 52/300 not being good with shaved bats it just propaganda................They claim to still swing their shaved bats in tournies and it absolutely makes a difference.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It still makes a difference, just not as much they say. For a lot of those guys it was the placebo effect anyway, so I'm sure they'll keep seeing a huge difference and keep doing it.

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans

I wasn't saying anything directed at you, just a blanket statement. It was the reason I started buying the SRV3's, they weren't known for being shaved like the salvos. Same reason I never owned an SCX3, Worth Toxic, or Miken Recoil. If someone pulls one of those out at the fields you hear everyone say it's cut, they don't even need to see it swung lol.

As long as I continue to play in a sport with a bunch of ego driven dudes, I know there'll be cheating. Sadly enough, I've come to expect it. I just keep working on my mechanics, or whatever I can to get better, and they'll continue working on ways to find that "edge" without actually practicing their craft.

Of course, there'll always be guys that don't cheat or practice, and they still step up and perform way better than I ever will lol but it keeps me hungry.

Last edited:

majicmike

Starting Player
Does a shaved bat preform like a Senior bat? Never use either but I would like to take some BP with one or the other to see the difference compared to a regular bat. BTW I can play Senior next year.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Isn't it funny when you find out a guy has a shaved or rolled to hell bat and you think, man, I'd never have thought that was shaved? I thought shaved bats were to hit the ball hard.

When I started realizing who had the shaved bats, I was shocked. A lot of guys that couldn't sniff the fence or bat .500, even with a cheater stick. And a lot of guys who could park it 50' over the fence with a stock bat and didn't need to cheat. Very few middle-of-the-road players.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
I wasn't saying anything directed at you, just a blanket statement. It was the reason I started buying the SRV3's, they weren't known for being shaved like the salvos. Same reason I never owned an SCX3, Worth Toxic, or Miken Recoil. If someone pulls one of those out at the fields you hear everyone say it's cut, they don't even need to see it swung lol.

As long as I continue to play in a sport with a bunch of ego driven dudes, I know there'll be cheating. Sadly enough, I've come to expect it. I just keep working on my mechanics, or whatever I can to get better, and they'll continue working on ways to find that "edge" without actually practicing their craft.

Of course, there'll always be guys that don't cheat or practice, and they still step up and perform way better than I ever will lol but it keeps me hungry.

I've seen you eat, you are always hungry.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I started realizing who had the shaved bats, I was shocked. A lot of guys that couldn't sniff the fence or bat .500, even with a cheater stick. And a lot of guys who could park it 50' over the fence with a stock bat and didn't need to cheat. Very few middle-of-the-road players.

The good players definitely piss me off the most. You make a perfect pitch, get the guy's timing off a little, but it doesn't matter because he just has to flick his wrists on about a 70% swing to hit a seed. I throw it underhanded for goodness sake, how big of a schmuck do you have to be for that to not be enough?

BraveSox

Addicted to Softballfans
its even better to see a 310' shot with a shaved bat and the guy can't get in the dugout because his ego has his head so swollen...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
And, to make matters worse..............Shave bats used to pop apart in the hands of a hitter with power, back when we used good balls. Now, they're like the Engergizer Bunny.....The just keep going and going and going and going.............

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
Does a shaved bat preform like a Senior bat? Never use either but I would like to take some BP with one or the other to see the difference compared to a regular bat. BTW I can play Senior next year.

This is what I was also thinking, that senior bats are very hot like a shaved bat so why need a shaved bat if you are playing in a senior league ? :spankme:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
^^^i feel like you are trying to talk us into buying shaved?

I'm not your woman......Not going to make you do things you don't want to do......Just telling you how things are. You're not going to get the '50 you got out of a shave bat and good balls. There's no doubt about that, but you'll more likely get 20'+ and a ton more swings now...........A savvy guy, who has no sports morals, would see that as a benefit.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
This is what I was also thinking, that senior bats are very hot like a shaved bat so why need a shaved bat if you are playing in a senior league ? :spankme:
I pitched this summer in Senior, some guy pulled out a Synergy flex and it was so cut it sounded like a wet towel:rolleyes:, Im like get that **** outta here

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
I pitched this summer in Senior, some guy pulled out a Synergy flex and it was so cut it sounded like a wet towel:rolleyes:, Im like get that **** outta here

When the old eastons are ready to blow up that's what they sound like. Now a clean Easton that sounds like that is cut.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
^^^i feel like you are trying to talk us into buying shaved?

I'm not your woman......Not going to make you do things you don't want to do......Just telling you how things are. You're not going to get the '50 you got out of a shave bat and good balls. There's no doubt about that, but you'll more likely get 20'+ and a ton more swings now...........A savvy guy, who has no sports morals, would see that as a benefit.

Swing's playing hard to get, well worth it though. Legs that go for days & cheeks so high & tight you have to put on safety glasses before you bounce a quarter on them.

Last edited: