Shaved Bats a thing of the past

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
There used to be so much talk about shaved bats, players that used them, sell them and those like myself that are against them.

From the starting of the year I haven't heard to many people talking about them, using them or trying to sell them anymore, is this due to all the new bats that come out like FIRE. Seems like most bat company has there Fire sticks that have moved up the level of performance.

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
There used to be so much talk about shaved bats, players that used them, sell them and those like myself that are against them.

From the starting of the year I haven't heard to many people talking about them, using them or trying to sell them anymore, is this due to all the new bats that come out like FIRE. Seems like most bat company has there Fire sticks that have moved up the level of performance.

People still shave them no matter what. Maybe it hasn't been talked about but I am sure guys will always spend the extra money just to get that extra edge on other guys. I agree with you, there is no room for that and with the bats that are out now, it is pointless in my opinion. if you can hit a ball 301 feet its the same as a monster 350 footer. I guess some guys just like knowing and feel better swinging a cut bat.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
People still shave them no matter what. Maybe it hasn't been talked about but I am sure guys will always spend the extra money just to get that extra edge on other guys. I agree with you, there is no room for that and with the bats that are out now, it is pointless in my opinion. if you can hit a ball 301 feet its the same as a monster 350 footer. I guess some guys just like knowing and feel better swinging a cut bat.

Agree with you and it is foolish.

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
They are still around and now are more seen in local tournaments and leagues. With the tournaments checking bats now it has slowed them down some.

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
broke an L6 in two this spring-- has Easton written all over the inside of bat shell. So if shaved the Easton wordings will be shaved off, thus proving it was shaved. DNA's come with a 1.21 or 1.22 outer shell already, so there is nothing to shave. And if you fool with the inner barrel the bat will break in a few swings. So bat makers have done an excellent job.

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
It used to be an acceptable part of the game. Like someone who could afford a nice composite for $300 that was "On Fire" vs. a $45 Sports Authority special. If you had the money and the means it was all good.

Then people started getting hurt. Bad. And Bat companies and Leagues had to protect themselves from lawsuits. PR started turning against bat shaving and as more and more leagues banned them outright, when people kept shaving them and injuring fellow ballers, it became the outlaw sport to use them. Basically, an excuse to own one. "Oh, THAT BAT? That one is for my outlaw HR Derby league!"

People still swing glass but won't brag about it or mention it. If they swing it in league, it goes right back in the bat bag after use so everybody isn't using it and tipping off the ump or the other teams players.

A good example of how things have changed is right here on SBF. Used to have an actual section I believe for worked on bats and Bobby Buggs was the in house expert. There were guys selling the rollers for new composites then the crackdown happened. And people complied. Bobby Buggs stopped offering his services then stopped doing it completely. And no threads were allowed even OFFERING bats that were rolled/shaved/worked.

The funny/sad part was when all the "Naturalists" who had been whining about "Cheater" bats got wind of it, they villainized people like Bobby Buggs and tried to give him a bum rap for YEARS. He shook it off and continued to build a succesful sports company. If you put your ear to the end of a broken shaved bat, you can hear the cries and moanings of all the butthurt haters who could never afford a "cheater" or "rolled" bat who til this day will troll any Bobby Buggs thread with cheater comments....:biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I've been looking for a light '15 Juggy for my wife (early batch 26ozer weighed in under 25oz). I got an offer for a shaved 26oz Juggy. Really? They are hot enough as they are.

WHB is just around the corner. There are still plenty of dirty bats out here. I'm still skeptical of every Easton I see. A dugout full of Salvos is a dead give away.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
It used to be an acceptable part of the game. Like someone who could afford a nice composite for $300 that was "On Fire" vs. a $45 Sports Authority special. If you had the money and the means it was all good.

Then people started getting hurt. Bad. And Bat companies and Leagues had to protect themselves from lawsuits. PR started turning against bat shaving and as more and more leagues banned them outright, when people kept shaving them and injuring fellow ballers, it became the outlaw sport to use them. Basically, an excuse to own one. "Oh, THAT BAT? That one is for my outlaw HR Derby league!"

People still swing glass but won't brag about it or mention it. If they swing it in league, it goes right back in the bat bag after use so everybody isn't using it and tipping off the ump or the other teams players.

A good example of how things have changed is right here on SBF. Used to have an actual section I believe for worked on bats and Bobby Buggs was the in house expert. There were guys selling the rollers for new composites then the crackdown happened. And people complied. Bobby Buggs stopped offering his services then stopped doing it completely. And no threads were allowed even OFFERING bats that were rolled/shaved/worked.

The funny/sad part was when all the "Naturalists" who had been whining about "Cheater" bats got wind of it, they villainized people like Bobby Buggs and tried to give him a bum rap for YEARS. He shook it off and continued to build a succesful sports company. If you put your ear to the end of a broken shaved bat, you can hear the cries and moanings of all the butthurt haters who could never afford a "cheater" or "rolled" bat who til this day will troll any Bobby Buggs thread with cheater comments....:biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

^^^^^ Good 411 fontstmaui

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
broke an L6 in two this spring-- has Easton written all over the inside of bat shell. So if shaved the Easton wordings will be shaved off, thus proving it was shaved. DNA's come with a 1.21 or 1.22 outer shell already, so there is nothing to shave. And if you fool with the inner barrel the bat will break in a few swings. So bat makers have done an excellent job.

Who cares if the inside of the bat says "Easton" or not. Once its shaved its not like you are going to just pop the end cap off to check. Id say the newer technology has helped and the prices are so high. The cheaper bats people still shave...around here at least.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
If you put your ear to the end of a broken shaved bat, you can hear the cries and moanings of all the butthurt haters who could never afford a "cheater" or "rolled" bat

Some of us can afford to cheat but still choose not too. Just saying.

^^^This is true. They either bag it after use or they have more than 1 of the same bat (1 clean, 1 shaved) and the clean one gets put up for inspection if the dirty one gets called out. I saw that first hand when a pitcher got hit locally. Team came to batters aid immediately after the pitcher was hit, taking no thought for the pitchers well being. On deck batter grabbed the Salvo used by the batter while umpire and other team were distracted and swapped it out.

tattooball

It is rampant in senior ball. 8 out of 10 people I sell bats to ask me how much they should roll it. When I say if you do the outer shell will show that it has been rolled, the next question that comes is should I have it shaved.

They all try to justify it by saying everyone else does it, so it goes on and on. They say this like it is a normal conversation.

scu duner

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been looking for a light '15 Juggy for my wife (early batch 26ozer weighed in under 25oz). I got an offer for a shaved 26oz Juggy. Really? They are hot enough as they are.

WHB is just around the corner. There are still plenty of dirty bats out here. I'm still skeptical of every Easton I see. A dugout full of Salvos is a dead give away.

If infact every salvo is shaved how is it getting past compression testing in mesa. Not that its perfect. But you said your juggy was on the pass fail line. Well then that means you yourself and all teammates swinging the bat are swinging an illeagal bat. Not all salvos are shaved. And when they are broken inthey can hang with any other bat out there. I had one you guys tried calling it out every time i used it. I know it wasnt dirty. I had the reciept sent it in and got another when it broke.

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
Some of us can afford to cheat but still choose not too. Just saying.

^^^This is true. They either bag it after use or they have more than 1 of the same bat (1 clean, 1 shaved) and the clean one gets put up for inspection if the dirty one gets called out. I saw that first hand when a pitcher got hit locally. Team came to batters aid immediately after the pitcher was hit, taking no thought for the pitchers well being. On deck batter grabbed the Salvo used by the batter while umpire and other team were distracted and swapped it out.

I was a Worth Bat Rep so there was no way I was shaving. And I was referring to 10 years ago when the balls were hard and the bats were shaved composite/titanium and fairly expensive. The Teloso was well into the $600+ range when they first came out. Can be had for around $300 now NIW but it is so well known to be illegal, nobody tries to sneak it into a game. And my point initially was not that only broke ass ninjas were whining about "cheater" bats but that when it became illegal to use in the game, people felt like their cause had finally been raptured. And guys who were doing it legally were thrown under the bus immediately as cheaters.

It's like Archie Bunker. Everyone laughed and enjoyed his blatant racism until affirmative action and political correctness re: ethnicities/religion took hold. Rightfully as it should. But as popular as that show was, you won't find any stations syndicating that **** like Gilligans Isle.:eek:

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
I used to really trip when guys used to buy a $300 bat then spend other $100-$150 to get it shaved and get an extra 20 feet and then the bat would break about 100 hits.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

I feel the same way about Easton's that sell for $99, especially Salvo's, and Toxics.

Basically any bat that's cheap, shavers will pick up cause they are going to shave it anyway, and warranty/premature breakage isn't an issue.

52/300 lowered shaved bats

Or made it worse, lot of guys shaving bats trying to make up for lost performance rather than just hitting the ball better. I don't think a lot of guys understand the principal of the new ball & bats, they just try for a quick fix.

Bats are so hot out of the wrapper now, I don't know that they're not actually hurting bat performance shaving the new stuff. It just doesn't matter/make as much of a difference IMO. You're worse off stressing about who is/isn't, whether somebody would have made the play if the bat, yadayada

It is rampant in senior ball. 8 out of 10 people I sell bats to ask me how much they should roll it. When I say if you do the outer shell will show that it has been rolled, the next question that comes is should I have it shaved.

They all try to justify it by saying everyone else does it, so it goes on and on. They say this like it is a normal conversation.

This is the part that kills me around here, it's just normal conversation & nothing unusual or needing to hide. I've stopped thinking about it cause it really doesn't matter to me. Bats don't make up for crappy contact & there's nothing to do other than just play through it, just play your game & you can win/lose to cheaters or clean players just the same.

If infact every salvo is shaved how is it getting past compression testing in mesa. Not that its perfect. But you said your juggy was on the pass fail line. Well then that means you yourself and all teammates swinging the bat are swinging an illeagal bat. Not all salvos are shaved. And when they are broken inthey can hang with any other bat out there. I had one you guys tried calling it out every time i used it. I know it wasnt dirty. I had the reciept sent it in and got another when it broke.

I don't think he's saying every one is automatically a cheater bat, just that it was a weapon of choice for cheaters since it was cheap, responded well to shaving, and very popular. Same as the Toxics were before them & same as the $99 Easton's are now.

Someone accuses you of using dirty bats & you know that you don't, offer to swing there bat & get the same results or just ignore them. Most will shut up when you offer to hit with their bat, they either don't want you hitting their bat better than them or they're using a dirty bat themselves.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
In no particular order I think it is going down slightly because of...

52/300 balls
compression testing
because of compression testing, they have one shaved one stock instead of all shaved because you want one you know can pass when that day comes
bats get hotter faster
some bats fail compression early, and people feel those bats are as good as shaved for non-testing games since they "fail" the test

I think the main one is compression testing, and it's not that testing is a great fix, but people have gone back to having one shaved bat, and the rest stock like 8-10 years ago. I think 3-4 years ago people that shaved just shaved everything in their bag. I know that wasn't 100% the case, but I know people that had access to cheaper shaved bats did.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az

I don't think he's saying every one is automatically a cheater bat, just that it was a weapon of choice for cheaters since it was cheap, responded well to shaving, and very popular. Same as the Toxics were before them & same as the $99 Easton's are now.

SCU, I didn't mean to offend. Chrome said it better. I don't remember ever calling you out in a game. We've played you guys enough to know who can hit.

And, I don't think I'm cheating by using a bat that is well used and on the edge of the pass/fail for compression testing, do you?

scu duner

Addicted to Softballfans
SCU, I didn't mean to offend. Chrome said it better. I don't remember ever calling you out in a game. We've played you guys enough to know who can hit.

And, I don't think I'm cheating by using a bat that is well used and on the edge of the pass/fail for compression testing, do you?

No its not cheating. My aftermath prob isnt pasing now but ill swing till i cant.lol And trust me i remember you guys talkng about my salvo back in the day. I take it as a nice gesture to be accused of swinging dirty. Means my bp is paying off. I still get it when i swing the dna. I do know for a fact there is guys that are swinging dirty we play against. Guy bought a 30oz miken maniac. got it stickered and then said he had 4-5 ozs removed. I just dont understand the need. Bats now a days are stupid hot and dont need 2000 hits to open up.

scu duner

Addicted to Softballfans
People must think everybody shaves bats. My 16 year old son who is 100 lbs soaking wet gets accused of swinging a shaved aftermath in league all the time. we use 44/375s. I guess a kid cant hit line drives or a blooper over third base with out a shaver.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
My league purchased a bat tester and it seems like all the talk of shaving has gone away now.

Prior to that, God forbid I hit a ball well with my Salvo 4 guys were yelling to check the bat.

majicmike

Starting Player
I honestly thought about getting one to try too regain the pop that I have lost due too Father Time. I decided to work on my my swing and adding some weight training.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
People must think everybody shaves bats. My 16 year old son who is 100 lbs soaking wet gets accused of swinging a shaved aftermath in league all the time. we use 44/375s. I guess a kid cant hit line drives or a blooper over third base with out a shaver.

Anytime your kid gets a hit I'm going to question the bat...lol. Now his ability to touch home correctly, that's a different story.