the Carolinas

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
Cliff didn't this catcher end yalls last game by almost running over the 1B on the inside of the line?

im not sure about that. we had close plays at first to end both games. the same ump called both. once as the field ump, and once overruling the field ump.

im also not sure which catcher y'all are talking about. I was catcher for the first half of the first game. Dylan Davidson came in in the second half and i moved to first. I think Dylan was catching in the second game.

Last edited:

ogsoftballplaye

Na it wasn't you. It was a bigger guy. Kept hitting it to 3B. Well the 2 ab I saw were to 3rd. It was the 2nd game yall played. I want to say he almost plowed over the 1B and that's why they called him out is because he ran to 1st in fair territory instead of foul territory almost causing the collision.

JRod21

Star Player
It was a great experience...I've never seen so much consistent hitting from teams. I believe the scene batted around 3 times in one inning when we played them. Difference is conference than non conference to me is two things. 1) Better pitching 2) Consistent hitting, the guys never missed the ball, they were mashing it. I give props to all the pitchers that toe the rubber at that level of play.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
back at this. Bad Draw went 2-2. I didn't watch any of there games personally so I'm going to give a quick over view. Bad Draw beat Adiktiv in a close game 34-32. Then lost to Backman 33-15. In the losers bracket Bad Draw won their first game 42-28 over Buffalo Rings and Rings. Their final game was a loss against Nightmare 29-33

TM Sports was also 2-2, with their 2 losses being to Major teams The Scene and Combat. TM played a good hitting Semper team in the first game. Unfortunately TMs center fielder tore his quad hustling to first. This put Chris Cooper in right field. Im not sure but I think this was Coops first conference action since an off season knee surgery. TM pulled away for a 40-25 victory. TMs second game was a loss Sat afternoon against the Scene 46-25. The Scene is just a monster. In the losers bracket TM got Primetime who started off white hot scoring 30 in the first 2 innings. However they used almost all of their HRs and only scored 5 the rest of the game. TM was steady, and used their HRs wisely scoring 8-10 an inning for an eventual mercy rule 50-35. The win was costly as the injuries and fatigue began to add up. Martel injured his hand and was struggling to grip the bat. Robo and Wally Maybrier shared the right field duty as nether are really full time outfielders at this stage of their careers. TM then played back to back against Team Combat in a loosing effort 36-15. Look for TM to make some additions to their roster before Chicago in 2 weeks. They are in need of outfield bodies.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm curious to see if they get Smitty or Watts back, or if they go another way. The Roberts brothers could be an option, or maybe one of the outfielders from B&B. I would say possibly someone from Cookies, but I think it would be a pay cut to move from Cookies to TM.

Last edited:

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
moving on to the next topic of conversation... Bat Compression testing.

I am a HUGE fan of the idea of compression test, and a tangible standard for everyone to adhere to. However I don't think the current compression testing procedure is giving a true understanding of the bats compression. Pretty much everyone who knows me knows that for the last year I have been gaming a green Easton LV1, and it is awesome. When I got the bat used the previous owner told me that it had been a bp bat and that it was almost exclusively hit on one side only. Meaning that one side of the bat was broken in and game ready and one side was not. I had never had a bat as good as the LV1 and was a little worried about its legitimacy. So I had the bat compression tested by Jeff (NSA) just to see if it would pass. It passed easily but I wasn't sure about what the numbers meant because his tester used a different number system. Over the next year the bat was tested at various events with what i thought was a consistent drop in the compression numbers starting around 260 and ending with 221 at the Freedom World. I walked away from the check in table thinking the bat would never be legal again, that it was the last tournament for the bat. So I hit it in bp and in a few back yard tournaments during the winter not thinking about preserving it as a gamer. When Winter World came I was worried that I wouldn't have a bat or if I swung my LV1 that if I hit a pitcher that it would fail and I would be in trouble. So when I found out they weren't testing I couldn't resist and swung it anyways.... in hind sight I'm ashamed of that. Moving on to the Final 4 at Peters Creek I had the bat tested again (I wasn't playing) just to see what the numbers would be and it passed with a 250 compression. I couldn't believe it, I thought the tester must have been mis-calibrated... but it eased my mind about swinging it from then on.

So all of that to get to this past weekend at the Conference tournament in Chattanooga. I was again scared to have the LV1 tested for fear that it would fail and be cut in half. So I got in touch with a friend on the TM Sports coaching staff and asked if they would test my bats before I went to check in (they have a tester). They tested the bat on 4 sides it tested 230 on 3 of the sides and 250 on 1. Which calmed my fears about checking it in for the tournament. When I got to check in they tested the LV1 at 275. So how can a bat that tested 221 last fall test 275 now??? after countless more swings, on hard balls in the cold winter.

I have a theory. It is just a theory, but I think it is worth discussing. Going back to the beginning of the story the bat was broken in on one side only on purpose. If the bat has a range of 230-250 depending on the side. Is it outside of the realm of possibility that temperature, different testing machines, and different testing operators could account for 10-15 difference compression? So the bat has a range of 20 pounds and the other variables have a range of 15 pounds ether way equaling a possible 30. Thats 50 pounds difference on one bat if all of the "ifs" happen.

So with that much variation from test to test... how is this a viable system for determining if a bat is legal for play or not? Is there anything that can be done to remove or limit the variables? My first thought is to have testers check all 4 sides every time.

I will have the bat tested again this weekend at the Peach State in Atlanta. So I will report back with what it test there.

mihklo

Sadly I have seen bats fail...... Then tester rotate the bat a few times until it passes. And then puts a sticker on it.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
In my mind if the bat fails at any place on the bat...IT FAILS. not if it passes anywhere it passes.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
By only testing in 1 spot, and having a possibility of 50 pounds different with the variables. A bat could be as low as 175 and pass for play.

SandyWH

#Delicious
I've had bats fail on Monday, then rechecked on Tuesday and they passed. Same tester and testing equipment.

Granted, I had little faith in the tester (person) as they don't know anything about the process, but I watched and they calibrated the tester (equipment) the same way both days.

Very odd.

Also failed USSSA one weekend and then a month later passed.

WillW3

Starting Player
Gonna chime in on this. A friend of mine plays in a league that requires the bats test at 230 (yes, 230) on 3 sides to be deemed legal. I actually think that's a fairly good idea because the dr's are getting good at having the thing test on the 220 line. But that's just a backyard league.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
Real quick update. I checked in my LV1, and my 100W at the Peach State this past weekend. They both tested in the 260-270 range. I tried to get it on vid but it is a sucky attempt.

[ame]https://youtu.be/fpiFUzOuN8Q[/ame]

Last edited:

mihklo

I wonder how often the testers are supposed to be calibrated compared to how often they actually get calibrated.

Leftie22

Star Player
My DC tested at 250 for the Choo Choo. Turn around this weekend it fails the first time and then passes on the line the second. But after those balls in TN go figure.