Offensive Ejections..

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
The equipment nowadays is out of control, especially the bats. I see 130 pound weaklings with crappy swings go 350' routinely during tournaments. That shouldn't be the case. That is one thing I like about baseball. They use the same bats and balls year after year. Either you're a HR hitter or you aren't. Softball seems to feel the need to make everyone a HR hitter no matter how bad they suck.

No offense but the likely hood of 130 lb weaklings hitting a ball 350 isn't very likely unless they are using a great ball and senior bats. With most leagues using a 52/300 the idea of 130 pd guy going 350 isn't happening a whole lot.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
No offense but the likely hood of 130 lb weaklings hitting a ball 350 isn't very likely unless they are using a great ball and senior bats. With most leagues using a 52/300 the idea of 130 pd guy going 350 isn't happening a whole lot.
It ain't most leagues. Maybe where you are. I moved to Cincinnati from valdosta, and in addition to much cooler weather we hit these gsl balls that I still can't believe are legit classic ms. Imagine using ultimate evils for your February league, and I'm not exaggerating. We played a tourney last month where it was forty five for our first game.

We played last weekend with zn's and I had no issues. These had to have been old zn's, but still. This isn't as easy as"taking BP and working in keeping it in". We're talking millimeters being the difference in singles and dbos if you swing hard. Not if you hit hard, but just swing hard.

-Six-

Weiner
we just have dbos thankfully here. first game ball was flying and I hit 2 dbos. second game we had some to use and I ****ed my swing so bad from the first game I might as well not played the second.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
little guys with good swings here have no issue putting a 52 320+ with good ASA bats. thats just the game we have now. the only way to fix is to make the balls even softer.

tonyjohnson619

In league we play with the .52s and it's one up and all other dbo, mine team has about 5 of us that can go over the 300 fences regularly. But it's also not hard to keep the .52s in... I have not hit the gsl's though

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got no problem with anyone hitting a 52 or with a good swing, especially if they're trying to. If you're swinging a well being in bat those gsl balls will almost go out on almost any solid hit.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We made fun of people wanting a homerun Bat and a line drive bat for years, and now people are literally suggesting that very thing to play with today's equipment. How can that not be a joke?

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Lots of BP, practicing hitting line drives through/right over the infield. Ironically, after lots of that BP, many of the guys that can't keep it in in E will be able to hit well enough to move up to D.

When I play D, if we're out of HR with less than 2 outs, I swing a Hammer. Same swing, still hits line drives over/through the infield for singles (I did actually hit one that split LF and CF and rolled to the fence for a double!), but if I get under it too much, a ball that would've gone 300'+ only goes about 250'. In the years since they changed D to 2 HR and an inning-ending out, I've only hit 1 inning-ending out HR, and it was my 3rd AB of the first inning against a really, really bad team. I think that's the 2nd biggest thing that pisses me off behind people not hustling: guys that know they can hit HR, swinging away, and hitting HR for inning-ending outs with less than 2 outs.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It ain't most leagues. Maybe where you are. I moved to Cincinnati from valdosta, and in addition to much cooler weather we hit these gsl balls that I still can't believe are legit classic ms. Imagine using ultimate evils for your February league, and I'm not exaggerating. We played a tourney last month where it was forty five for our first game.

We played last weekend with zn's and I had no issues. These had to have been old zn's, but still. This isn't as easy as"taking BP and working in keeping it in". We're talking millimeters being the difference in singles and dbos if you swing hard. Not if you hit hard, but just swing hard.

Yeah. I play in CO and it can be 40 degrees or less for some games. Even C+ balls will rocket off bats in that weather. And yes, I really have seen tiny guys with piss-poor swings go 350' without even trying. The weather makes a huge difference. I'll readily admit that you won't see nearly as many DBOs in July when it's near 100 degrees and everyone's tired.

The bats available now have really taken the skill out of hitting. You have a very large sweetspot and a bat that propels balls like rockets with very little effort. In fact, some of these newer bats favor guys with slow swingspeeds over guys who swing very hard.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
little guys with good swings here have no issue putting a 52 320+ with good ASA bats. thats just the game we have now. the only way to fix is to make the balls even softer.

Yes. The league I umpire uses Tattoo .52 300s and I see guys with very average swings put them out all the time simply because they're using a hot bat. Even with a dead, crappy 52 ball the new bats smash HRs easily.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Both leagues that I play in, along with pretty much all local tournies, are using .52/275 Worth Hot Dots. I've seen plenty of weak hitters with bad swings put balls over the trees on the other side of the fence.

We made fun of people wanting a homerun Bat and a line drive bat for years, and now people are literally suggesting that very thing to play with today's equipment. How can that not be a joke?

When I play D, if we're out of HR with less than 2 outs, I swing a Hammer.

We've officially come full circle.

I keep a Worth Toxic wood bat on hand for certain situations.

The bats available now have really taken the skill out of hitting. You have a very large sweetspot and a bat that propels balls like rockets with very little effort.

Our men's league has a +2 homerun rule. This week in the first game of our double-header we hit 6 homeruns, the other team hit 5 homeruns, and I played 7 innings at 2b without seeing a ground ball. Real fun.

In fact, some of these newer bats favor guys with slow swingspeeds over guys who swing very hard.

I can't count how many times I've heard people in recent years say "You're swinging too hard, let the bat do the work." What a joke. There are so many soft-barreled, flexy handled bats around that actually seem to start losing performance if you swing them too fast. I honestly think that's the reason why Easton bats don't get much love, you have to swing them harder to start getting anything out of them.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This totally happens. Some of the newer Worths and Mikens feel like crap for me. I swing very hard, and I can feel the handle bending and the barrel wrapping around the ball. It produces lousy hits that knuckle or sidespin. Cound me one of the reasons I actually like Eastons. The DC41 seems to be the stiffest Miken out there, and its the only one I own. Even it feels mushy sometimes. I'll swing as hard as I can at a ball and hit a nasty knuckleball.

I can't count how many times I've heard people in recent years say "You're swinging too hard, let the bat do the work." What a joke. There are so many soft-barreled, flexy handled bats around that actually seem to start losing performance if you swing them too fast. I honestly think that's the reason why Easton bats don't get much love, you have to swing them harder to start getting anything out of them.[/QUOTE]

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I must really really really really suck. I haven't sniffed the fence in a game since the 52's came out.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
super broke in 2004 stamp bats (extendeds, reapers, rd28, recoils, og mutants) with 44's still way outperform the new bats and 52's. because those old stamp bats with 2000 hits are still fire against 52's. they are just so broken in. new stamps are near fire from the get go and don't get a ton hotter before they break.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
super broke in 2004 stamp bats (extendeds, reapers, rd28, recoils, og mutants) with 44's still way outperform the new bats and 52's. because those old stamp bats with 2000 hits are still fire against 52's. they are just so broken in. new stamps are near fire from the get go and don't get a ton hotter before they break.
Yeah, so imagine those new bats against classic ms so rock hard I quoted whether they're truly only 325.

Even if I had the time to hit 100 balls in BP each week, which I could do most weeks, the rest of my team still won't get that many swings in.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
We've officially come full circle.

I keep a Worth Toxic wood bat on hand for certain situations.
Yep. I can still put the ball where I want and get hits, but I'm not burning anybody and if I get too much lift, I'm not making 2 or 3 outs with one swing. If I'm playing C or playing where HRs over the limit are just outs, I swing my normal bat.
Hiltz; post:18880486 said:
Our men's league has a +2 homerun rule. This week in the first game of our double-header we hit 6 homeruns, the other team hit 5 homeruns, and I played 7 innings at 2b without seeing a ground ball. Real fun.
We play in a 4 and 1 up league and an unlimited league. I played RF the other night (in a 3 man outfield) and got 4 balls hit to me in a 34 run, 4 inning game (so, at least 50 batters). So boring.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to pitch in a one up league where everything over the limit was a single. There was only one team that mattered, but they made for some long innings. At least in rf you don't get drilled for zoning out.

tonyjohnson619

i like how my league is 1 up and anything over is just a out, most are just hitting gaps all night unless the bases got a few ducks. In the 6 games i played this week only 5 HRs were hit

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
The frustration(s) I have arent anything related to league tho. I mean, I want to win and get swings but my tournament team is what I care most about and as a result is the cause of frustration. Blowing 5 or 6 HRs out is the kiss of death in tourney ball. I have come close but luckily have not had to personally deal with it.

This was more of a thread to get into the psychological aspect of knowing when you can or cannot hit a HR and how you adjust to that situation. Saying "dont hit a HR" seems easy enough but there has to be a practical and physical plan at the plate that a hitter has in order to do damage but not put his or her team at risk of either offensive ejections or inning ending outs. Just trying to figure out what some of you guys do in that case.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously, it's a constant struggle. I haven't tried the dead bat thing yet.

I rotate between trying to cut the ball low, taking a normal swing and hit the top of the ball, and three quarter swinging.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
The frustration(s) I have arent anything related to league tho. I mean, I want to win and get swings but my tournament team is what I care most about and as a result is the cause of frustration. Blowing 5 or 6 HRs out is the kiss of death in tourney ball. I have come close but luckily have not had to personally deal with it.

This was more of a thread to get into the psychological aspect of knowing when you can or cannot hit a HR and how you adjust to that situation. Saying "dont hit a HR" seems easy enough but there has to be a practical and physical plan at the plate that a hitter has in order to do damage but not put his or her team at risk of either offensive ejections or inning ending outs. Just trying to figure out what some of you guys do in that case.

I probably don't play as much serious ball as you but I really screwed myself and my swing trying to the avoid the HR. For me, I was more successful thinking about what I wanted and attacking the ball with that plan. Wasn't perfect but better overall than stressing over the potential DBO.

Seriously, it's a constant struggle. I haven't tried the dead bat thing yet.

I rotate between trying to cut the ball low, taking a normal swing and hit the top of the ball, and three quarter swinging.

I don't understand the dead bat thing other than a poor band aid type fix. If you can't keep a ball down inside the park so you choose a dead bat to fix this, you're now just hitting a fly ball to the outfield.

A wood bat can take 52's out of a 300' fence, that ball is pretty lively. It's just not easy with any bat, have to get it just right and sometimes even little guys with crappy swings get lucky. And the wind can play a big factor in taking 52's out of the park just like they can keep them in. You don't have to be a big dude to hit HR's, just good timing and bat placement. I started consistently hitting HR's when I backed off my swing and just focused on timing the snap and placing the bat.

Reactions: Wik

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i aim for the top of the ball and don't chance anything else. its a grounder or a liner. occasionally i'm not true and it goes over but its not often. i don't like switching to anything deader than a newer bat in these situations because i still want to hit the ball hard somewhere.

tonyjohnson619

I probably don't play as much serious ball as you but I really screwed myself and my swing trying to the avoid the HR. For me, I was more successful thinking about what I wanted and attacking the ball with that plan. Wasn't perfect but better overall than stressing over the potential DBO.

I don't understand the dead bat thing other than a poor band aid type fix. If you can't keep a ball down inside the park so you choose a dead bat to fix this, you're now just hitting a fly ball to the outfield.

A wood bat can take 52's out of a 300' fence, that ball is pretty lively. It's just not easy with any bat, have to get it just right and sometimes even little guys with crappy swings get lucky. And the wind can play a big factor in taking 52's out of the park just like they can keep them in. You don't have to be a big dude to hit HR's, just good timing and bat placement. I started consistently hitting HR's when I backed off my swing and just focused on timing the snap and placing the bat.

This.... one of the best hitters in the league is about 511 and 180 lbs but can crush the ball from right or left side of the plate... it just takes good swing mechanics

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

With the balls we hit, my homeruns aren't monsters. They're line drives that barely sneak over. I don't mind swinging up and trying to hit the top as much because if I miss a little towards the middle it's not going over. A fly ball to the outfield isn't ever my goal, but it's still just one out instead of three and an offensive ejection.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
A DBO racks up 3 outs and an offensive ejection?

Well depends on league.....GSL E is an inning ending out and offensive ejection for the game.

D and higher are inning ending but not offensive ejections.

I believe utrip to be the same in this regard but everything my team has played tbis year so far is GSL.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Well depends on league.....GSL E is an inning ending out and offensive ejection for the game.

D and higher are inning ending but not offensive ejections.

I believe utrip to be the same in this regard but everything my team has played tbis year so far is GSL.

That's a damn stiff penalty but I understand the thought process. I'd really look at playing up, know it's not the solution you're looking for but that's a really strong deterrent.