Pitching Helmets

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
But there won't be a follow up shot coming at you so you can adjust. It's not like football where you see a guy loose his helmet then still be in on a play with just his bare head...well, unless a fielder gets the deflected ball then tries throwing the batter out and also hits you in the head.
The follow up shot isn't the problem. You've never seen a FB player forget the strap and then get his face bloodied when the the cage gets smashed into his face? Just put the lacrosse helmet on and Chuck yourself a few times, or better yet, have a buddy punch you in the face with it on.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
The follow up shot isn't the problem. You've never seen a FB player forget the strap and then get his face bloodied when the the cage gets smashed into his face? Just put the lacrosse helmet on and Chuck yourself a few times, or better yet, have a buddy punch you in the face with it on.

for science!

Dogue

Evil Genius
The discussion at the time was about the helmet being knocked off your head without the chinstrap. My point was that once the ball knocked your helmet off the danger has passed and being without a helmet isn't your biggest concern.

blakcherry329

Not sure what the discussion is here.
There a difference of opinions here. Is the Lax Helmet able to stop a softball? Some say yes, some say no. Should you were a chinstrap? Some say yes, some say no. Neither side is wrong, either way. it's all about what you believe and what you're comfortable with. Until someone takes a ball to the face mask, directly, we won't know.
I'm in the No chin strap, LAX group and nothing anyone can say will change my mind. Doesn't make me right, and doesn't make the non-believers wrong. I'm sure the people that use the strap or use the Worth mask or whatever, feel the same way about their decision. The horse is dead, stop hitting it, already. lol

fowlo24

Extra Hitter
I have the worth pitching helmet. I chose it because its cooler since I play in Florida. I'm fine with the mask breaking as long as I can go to work Monday. Car companies are making cars the crumble easier to soften the blow. As long as I walk away I'll buy a new mask every time.

If you pitch please use a helmet or mask. I don't care what it is. It's better than nothing, don't be arrogant. Pitching is the most dagerous place on the field.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Embarrassed to say, but I now have first hand knowledge of the LAX helmet protection capabilities. Took a direct shot to the helmet Saturday (upper forehead area), ball landed in foul territory in front of 1B. I felt it a little, but not much. Continued playing with no break in action. I was not wearing the chin strap, but it also didn't hit the cage, or if it did, it was just the upper edge of it.

Schutt Stallion 650 saved me one hell of a headache, and probably worse if I wasn't wearing it. A RipIt style mask would not have been any benefit in this situation.

tonys1

Our pitcher got one in the cheek last night while wearing one of those plastic fielder's masks - it didn't absorb the blow as he had a prune sized swell and with no padding, the plastic mask cut up the area pretty bad when it got pushed into his face and turned. He was aware of where he was, but it happened so quickly and everyone got worried. I'm not sure about the Legit helmet's coverage around the ear area, but that's already a huge upgrade from what he had. Please be safe out there.

blakcherry329

Embarrassed to say, but I now have first hand knowledge of the LAX helmet protection capabilities. Took a direct shot to the helmet Saturday (upper forehead area), ball landed in foul territory in front of 1B. I felt it a little, but not much. Continued playing with no break in action. I was not wearing the chin strap, but it also didn't hit the cage, or if it did, it was just the upper edge of it.

Schutt Stallion 650 saved me one hell of a headache, and probably worse if I wasn't wearing it. A RipIt style mask would not have been any benefit in this situation.
Glad to see your cranky ass is ok. That must have been a rocket for you not to have gotten a glove on it.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
What team was that against? I watched a majority of your game vs Willie Allen’s team. You hit a missile that game to center, right-center.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah we played them first game. Had a close call myself. Barely got my glove up, hit the tips of my fingers and deflected right to our second baseman. They have a really good squad.

busychild

Addicted to Softballfans
so just a question as search doesnt seem to come up with a definitive answer. Seems like the popular route is to go with a the Worth pitching Helmet or Lacrosse helmet. what about a Back Catchers Helmet? are they just not as popular? or is it more of a vision issue? i feel like there are many more options out with a back catcher style helmet.

tonys1

so just a question as search doesnt seem to come up with a definitive answer. Seems like the popular route is to go with a the Worth pitching Helmet or Lacrosse helmet. what about a Back Catchers Helmet? are they just not as popular? or is it more of a vision issue? i feel like there are many more options out with a back catcher style helmet.

Are you referring to the goalie mask type? I'm not sure about lacrosse masks, but those style masks are really heavy. I have an all-star helmet and got a foul-tip in the grill and didn't feel a thing. I feel like pitching in that would be exhausting though.

busychild

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you referring to the goalie mask type? I'm not sure about lacrosse masks, but those style masks are really heavy. I have an all-star helmet and got a foul-tip in the grill and didn't feel a thing. I feel like pitching in that would be exhausting though.

yeah if we were going like for like for like id say the goalie style for sure. as it would give you some actual head protection.

blakcherry329

I beg to differ on the LAX Helmet. I don't think it's heavy at all. I can wear it all day in 90+ deg weather, no problem.
It's all about personal preference. I thought the Worth Mask/helmet was a little awkward. But that's just me.

defos

Last Sunday I hit a line drive about 10-12" from the pitcher's left ear. He didn't have time to react. I'm really glad I didn't hit him. He was wearing a Rip-It mask. In our second game of the day, one of my teammates drilled the pitcher in the calf, just missing his shin. He had to leave the game. We both have enough bat control we shouldn't be hitting or coming close to pitchers, but it happens. Our pitcher always says he feels like he can get his glove up to protect his face. He found out today that isn't true. He got drilled in the face or forehead, again by a good hitter. He dropped to the ground and then was unconscious for at least a few seconds. He said he wasn't, but at least 2 or 3 people said he was. He doesn't drive, so his wife was there and took him to the ER to get checked out. He has a concussion and massive headache, but no structural damage or swelling. It could have been a lot worse. I hope this convinces him to wear at least a mask, better yet a helmet, but I doubt it.

arther itis

payin' to get paid

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/visor-mod-for-rip-it-mask.1366508/#post-17917902

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

tonys1

I beg to differ on the LAX Helmet. I don't think it's heavy at all. I can wear it all day in 90+ deg weather, no problem.
It's all about personal preference. I thought the Worth Mask/helmet was a little awkward. But that's just me.

Sorry, I just re-read that - didn't mean on the LAX helmet, it's meant for Lacrosse players who run with them. I meant pitching with a catcher's goalie-style mask on, whether it's the weight or distribution of said weight, would be exhausting to pitch with.

I'm wondering when other companies will start making pitching helmets/masks? I use an old lacrosse helmet myself, but have been looking to upgrade. Partly since I can't find it. I like the Worth option, but its always sold out. I don't know why other companies don't have their own line out? They seem to sell well.

Any ideas?
Schutt has a pitcher helmet coming out in the next month or two. It’s similar to a lacrosse helmet but it’s specifically designed for slowpitch and fastpitch. I believe it’s going to be pricey though. I wear a lax helmet now but I’ll probably pick up the Schutt and try it out as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Reactions: klu

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Schutt has a pitcher helmet coming out in the next month or two. It’s similar to a lacrosse helmet but it’s specifically designed for slowpitch and fastpitch. I believe it’s going to be pricey though. I wear a lax helmet now but I’ll probably pick up the Schutt and try it out as soon as I can get my hands on one.

[GALLERY=media, 30696]3EDF683F-D3E3-4E58-804B-53AE96F9A377 by bigwignj posted Jun 18, 2018 at 10:17 AM[/GALLERY]

Attachments

• 106D1DE3-C3DA-40B1-85C3-A50D1E25838D.png
    106D1DE3-C3DA-40B1-85C3-A50D1E25838D.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 9

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I hope the padding on the forehead is vastly improved over their LAX Stallion model. The thin pad is royal POS and not durable at all. It's designed to be velcroed in, but the "film" over the pad that allows it to be velcroed separates from the pad making it a POS.

37071DB3-284E-40DB-9A81-BF8158966D53.png
I hope the padding on the forehead is vastly improved over their LAX Stallion model. The thin pad is royal POS and not durable at all. It's designed to be velcroed in, but the "film" over the pad that allows it to be velcroed separates from the pad making it a POS.

Reactions: klu

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Man you've been stewing on that for a long time. I'll eat crow I guess on that one, but I would also question if my mechanics on the play would have differed based on the level of protection I had on at the time.

In any event, I'm sticking with the helmet and would encourage others to do the same :cool:

I'm just glad that you're okay

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man you've been stewing on that for a long time. I'll eat crow I guess on that one, but I would also question if my mechanics on the play would have differed based on the level of protection I had on at the time.

In any event, I'm sticking with the helmet and would encourage others to do the same :cool:
Glad you're okay. Can prove a certain amount with physics, but that takes out the margin of error. That's the real problem imo. We're dealing with micro seconds, and the hesitation from a ball directly at you or deciding to turn your glove over or not can be the difference in catching it and it catching you. It's dumb.

Normy

Glad you're okay. Can prove a certain amount with physics, but that takes out the margin of error. That's the real problem imo. We're dealing with micro seconds, and the hesitation from a ball directly at you or deciding to turn your glove over or not can be the difference in catching it and it catching you. It's dumb.
Yup. Dumber and dumber as you get older as well.